“Charming country atmosphere with just OK food”

Big Shanty Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #11 of 307 Restaurants in Kennesaw
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: A cute & cozy BBQ joint specializing in FRESH hickory smoked meats. Located just 1.5 miles from I-73, exit 273.
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Shanty bbq has an enjoyable kitschy atmosphere with good-sized portions & fair prices. Unfortunately, I went with high expectations from rating #1 on Tripadvisor. The BBQ is OK, but by no means fabulous. We live in NC and know good bbq..so I assume all these rave reviews are because there isn't much else to compare with locally? Or maybe it's the whole style thing from region to region. Whatever the case, we'll be passing on it next time we come through town.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

These folks have 'q done right! The brisket, chicken, & ribs are spot on. Just as is required in this neck of the woods, the pulled pork is perfect. I always go 1/2 & 1/2- that's half inside, half outside so that I get just the right amount of bark (that's the firmer part of the butt on the outside where it's caramelized). They also do some imaginative dishes as well, recently did some lamb, but I have not tried it- yet!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Since I found Big Shanty, more than a year ago, I have tried to go there once a week. My wife and I have never been disappointed.

The food is excellent. The BBQ is smoked perfectly. The side dish vegetables are a great change to having mass produced fries.

The owners are on site. They prepare and serve your orders.
The owners are very serious about providing a quality food experience.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We've been going to Big Shanty about 2 - 3 times per month since last year and have never had a bad meal. We've tried other area BBQ restaurants and while we enjoy them too, there's just no comparison to Big Shanty Smokehouse. My husband just loves the brisket and ribs; I usually opt for the pulled pork and have enjoyed the tacos too (especially if you like a spicy flavor). Their sides are all awesome too! Love the atmosphere & everyone at Big Shanty. Can't wait to have them cater an event for us.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I have visited Big Shanty Smokehouse on many occasions and my family and I have always left with a full tummy of some the most delicious food I've tasted. The standard BBQ menu is wonderful, but the true secret of this hidden treasure are the things that you don't usually find at a BBQ restaurant. Make sure to try one of the daily specials it sure to be one of the best things you eat all week. Its nice that most of the kitchen is open so you can see your food get prepared as you wait. The restaurant routinely gets 100 inspection scores so I feel confident feeding my entire family including small children.