“Amazing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ramon
Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 San Ramon B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was traveling with a group of friends and we had heard of this wonderful place to stay at in the cloud forest of Costa Rica. Gary the owner was a great host he looked after us like we were family I would highly recommend any one traveling in the area should stay there amazing location and host.
Bill Watkin

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hi Bill It was a delight getting to meet you while you were here, wish I could have ridden with you through Central America and even more after meeting you wished you were on the Africa trip that sold out before you knew about it. I am almost certain we will get an opportunity to ride together in the future. I am pleased that you were happy with your stay here and it was all and more than you expected.
Take care

Reviewed June 4, 2013

5 of us (The 5 Amigos) rode our dual sport mortorcycles from Albequrque NM to get here. We knew Gary from a previous adventure when he had led us on an expedition thru South Afrika.

I had heard that Gary had relocated to Costa Rica and did not know what to expect. What i found is that Gary is a fabulous host, he has created an amazing bit of paradise and if you are planning a bike trip to Central America you would be crazy not to include Angel Valley in your plans.
Angel Valley was like arriving home after 30 days on the road through 7 countries.
Gary was instrumental in helping us arrange shipping our bikes back to Canada. He personally supervised (after we flew home) getting the bikes in a container and shipping them home. As i write this they are on the MSC Shannon bound for Montreal. I had tried every contact I could source but had struck out on every lead. Gary took charge and made it happen.
If you are considering a motorcycle ride to Central America contact Gary, and let him assist in your planning. He is an experienced dual sport rider and only too happy to help.

Hi Bob

Thanks for such a glowing review, it was so nice to see you again, it had been a long time since our African Expedition so I was so excited when you said you were coming to visit. It was my pleasure having you stay and I am glad I could arrange to have your bike shipped home and even more pleased when you called and said it arrived safely. The dinner on the patio was so excellent and a great way to catch up with old friends.....a really long and fun evening covering our African adventure and your central America adventure makes me want to ride again with you anywhere and any time. I hope to see you and ride with you this summer in Canada.

Take good care

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have travelled and stayed in most parts of Costa Rica since 1992, and have been arranging and guiding birding trips for the past 4 years. I have dealt with many hotels in Costa Rica and this bed and breakfast stands out in terms of hospitality, view, and fantastic breakfasts. Gary is very friendly and accommodating and the fact that he has decades of experience in providing quality safari tours in Africa shows with the quality treatment he gives to his guests.

Birding tours require such an early start that many hotels in the country are reluctant to provide breakfast and even have trouble providing coffee at an early hour. Although I didn't expect breakfast at 4:30 AM while guiding a client who was staying at the Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, Gary was more than happy to prepare whatever we wanted at that very early hour. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the place feels like home, has a great view, and is in a very strategic location.

It's about an hour from the airport, and for birders, is close to a variety of world class birding sites that host at least 400 species of birds. I will be recommending this place to all fo my clients and people looking for a quiet, relaxing B and B that is out in the country.

I should also mention that the one poor review pertains to guests who stayed at the B and B before Gary owned it as that is from 2007 and Gary bought the place in 2011.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hi Patrick, It was so nice having you and your group stay at Angel Valley and I so appreciate the support and wonderful review. I so enjoyed listening to you and learning so much about the bird life here in our area. I did not know there were so many and of course your guests were a true delight. In the guiding business you can always tell how good the guide is by the way his clients are and of course your whole group was so very happy. I look forward to hosting you and your guests any time and making breakfast for them at any hour, you can count on that.

Take good care

Reviewed May 4, 2013

After 1 night red eyes flight plus 1/2 day delay and flying time, we drove 2 hours from San Jose airport to Angel B&B which where we are going to stay. The roads were not smooth but thanks to Jon my brother in law , he is an excellent driver. We arrived at Angel and we saw a couple of peoples stand in front of the house to greed us. What a surprise! the owner Gary and his assistant Donna give us a warm friendly welcome. Fresh smoothies juice, tea, coffee and fresh baked cookies for night munching. Very considered owner. The house decorated with photos which Gary himself is photographer expertise.
The B&B is very cozy, views are breathtaking. rooms are OK with their own bath ( very good).
Breakfast cook per your order. Good caring to customer. We would return and stay again for next trip and will spread out good word to our friend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Hi Gina It was so nice having you and your family stay with us, I really enjoyed hosting you all and am happy that you enjoyed it as much as I did. I also enjoyed making Vietnamese coffee for your family and it passed the test, I had not made it for a long time and now I am drinking it almost daily. I sincerely hope that you return again.
Take care

Reviewed May 4, 2013

A total of five family and friends stayed at Angel Valley on this trip, and all were enchanted with Gary and his B&B. The stunning view, bright, cheerful rooms, excellent food, and Gary himself made the visit memorable for all. Gary's knowledge of local attractions is impressive for someone who just moved to the area, but his Africa safari stories (and photos) are amazing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Hi J&V Thanks so much for the wonderful review, it was a pleasure hosting you and I look forward to seeing you again when you are up in our area again. You are just a phone call away from your favorite banana cranberry bread. I am so thrilled that you ordered a few loaves to go.......such a great compliment. Take care good people G

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Eight members of The Birding Club of Costa Rica arrived at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast after a strenuous day of birding, which had commenced at 6 a.m. What a delightful surprise, coffee, tea and home baked, delicious cookies and brownies awaited us. An indication of the welcome and hospitality we were to receive from our gracious and accommodating hosts Gary Clegg and Donna Kennedy. Who expects a B&B to observe a teatime ritual? Maybe it's something to do with owner Gary's South African background, after all some Colonial habits are hard to break.
The peaceful, pastoral setting of this delightful, totally renovated farmhouse with spectacular views across the valley represents the epitome of Costa Rican rural life and is an ideal base camp from which to explore the area. There are many choices of things to do and see if you can drag yourself away from relaxing in the hot tub, or contemplating the view from a hammock with a good book. Gary is full of suggestions and Donna will act as your guide should you need her help.
When you step inside the house you feel you have taken a magic carpet ride to a totally different world. Gary's amazing photos and African memorabilia dominate every room, plus all the comforts of home beckon you to stay a while. The attractively furnished bedrooms and spacious, private bathrooms are squeaky clean. In each room, over the very comfy bed you will find a wonderful picture of an African animal. In the Shumba room with its lovely view and twin beds you will have a majestic lion and lioness to watch over while you sleep.
Gary regaled us with tales about his African adventures, and leading safaris throughout Africa, which he still does for his company Shumba Tracks. If you have never been to Africa his skills as a storyteller will, without a doubt, make you want to visit this fascinating Continent, or like it did for me, bring back vivid memories of my own African adventures. Gary is also full of anecdotes about flying a variety of aircraft, plus will be happy to chat on virtually any subject. You can rest assured there's never a dull moment when he's around.
Gary's energy abounds and he plays the role of chief cook and bottle washer as he takes your order the night before for his exceptional breakfasts. Eggs any style, bacon, home fries, grilled tomatoes, pancakes, home-baked bread and bagels all cooked and served by Gary on the patio dining area. This morning feast will certainly make your day. His culinary talents also include starting up his ceramic decorated oven and serving wood fired pizza, plus he also hosts special theme nights with exotic menus from all over the world. However, normally for dinner you will have to saunter down the road to the nearby restaurant for a tasty sampling of the local fare.
Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast is located an easy one-hour drive from the International Airport and is an excellent choice for a one or two night stopover before starting, or finishing your visit to Costa Rica.

3  Thank intrepidtraveler24
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Hi Ann, Thanks for such a wonderful review......when does the book come out :) It was such a pleasure having you stay with us and I hope the entire group had a fantastic time with Pat not only here but throughout the trip. I really loved chatting with you about your travels through Africa. I am also pleased that you enjoyed all the food while you were here, it is always so much fun cooking for a group who enjoys food as much as I enjoy preparing it. I hope to see you back on your next visit through our area. Take care Gary

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We found Gary on the net and are very glad we did. He has a very comfortable B&B and makes it especially enjoyable with great cooking, interesting decor and a very welcoming atmosphere. We enjoyed conversation as well as the basics of staying for 2 nights. We had a very pleasant room and even had a jar of home-made chocolate chip cookies for a late night snack. The views from the hammock made it easy to relax. Gary helped us plan our exploration of the area and became a valued friend as well. We'll certainly plan to return on the next trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Hi K&M, Thanks so much for the review, the emails and continued friendship, I look forward to the day you are back in San Ramon and we can continue where we left off. I certainly enjoyed our traipse around the town I now call home and it is so nice sharing this beauty with others who appreciate the history, culture and such a delightful town. Until we meet again be well G