Villa Blanca is an amazingly serene place. We stayed there due to the proximity to San Jose (much much closer than the Monteverde cloud forest) for our short trip. It is about 1 hour from San Jose to San Ramon, then another 30 minutes on a bumpy dirt road to Villa Blanca. The grounds are huge and beautiful. We were there in the raining season, so it was cloudy / in a cloud the whole time, which we expected. The atmosphere of the drifting cloud banks was truly unique.
The casitas are very nice and clean with decent WiFi in every room, which we used to call home daily via Skype. There is also a fireplace loaded with wood and ready to light, cleaned and refreshed every day. The hotel lodge and rooms somehow manage to be simultaneously modern and rustic.
What really stands out at Villa Blanca was the service. Everyone was so nice and ready to help in any way. Anything we asked for was granted quickly and efficiently, including opening the restaurant early for us one day so we could do a night hike. We also enjoyed the hot tub and steam room which were opened for us upon request.
We did a day nature hike and night hike with the amazingly knowledgeable guides, who know everything about every plant and animal in the cloud forest. Ingrid in particular was amazingly good at spotting hidden animals in the forest. We also did a combined zip line and rafting tour booked through the hotel with Desafio Adventure Company. The tours had us smiling all day long. Desafio is very professional and takes safety very seriously. We did not rent a car, and the hotel was able to book all of our transportation.
The restaurant was also excellent and decently priced for the quality of food. Both the food and service were fantastic. The menu of fresh local foods changed slightly every day. Breakfast was divine. If you just need a snack, the in room minibar is reasonably priced also.
In summary, if you are looking for a beautiful and relaxing place to start or end your trip to Costa Rica, Villa Blanca is an amazing place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just over an hour's drive from San Jose International Costa Rica airport (SJO), eco-minded travelers from all over the world have reveled in the beauty of Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel, located within the Los Angeles Private Biological Nature Reserve & Research Station in the Canton of San Ramon. The hotel is ideally situated as a gateway to Arenal Volcano and the famous Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. Here, you're immersed in one of the world's most precious and complex jungle ecosystems - the cloud forest. This boutique mountain hotel is nestled on 75-acres of gentle rolling hills, with well-appointed "casitas" and Honeymoon Suites, each with their own fireplace, and surrounded by acres of lush botanical gardens. Originally owned by former president Rodrigo Carazo Odio and First Lady, Estrella Zeledon de Carazo, Villa Blanca has become a renown and cherished Costa Rica destination. The architecture reflects the original farm village concept, with a welcoming Hacienda, offering guests exceptional Costa Rican hospitality, premier dining, a private theater, conference facilities, and pampering spa menu. Also quite unique is a replica of a 14th century Roman wedding chapel, La Mariana, with its hand painted ceramic ceiling. Choose from a variety of nature-based activities, including horseback, zip-lines, and user-friendly guided trials, plus excursions to Arenal and Poas volcanoes, hot springs, and rural-cultural tours. This is the Costa Rica where those who "travel well and travel right" want to go. Please feel free to visit our sister-site, one of the most prestigious Manuel Antonio hotels, Si Como No. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Blanca Cloud Forest
- Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel And Nature Reserve Costa Rica/San Ramon