“Friendly, welcoming, and accommodating!”
Review of Hostel Sabana

Hostel Sabana
Methuen, Massachusetts
“Friendly, welcoming, and accommodating!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My two friends and I stated at Hostel Sabana while visiting my sister who is studying abroad at the UCR in San Ramon. We stayed for a total of 5 nights though we originally had reserved 7 consecutive nights (not a problem with the staff at all!). We were happy to be able to stay in a private room (slept up to 4/5 people) with a private bathroom and shower. The hostel was not far from the University or my sister's house and just a short taxi away from the center of the city with the restaurants and stores. Taxis seemed to always be conveniently parked just a few feet from the hostel.

The staff of Hostel Sabana made our vacation easy and worry free! Very helpful and accomodating to our needs. Reserving our room was easy via Email. When traveling outside of San Ramon for a few days, we were able to leave our luggage in storage at the hostel while we were gone. Hostel Sabana was a great "home base" for us as we did some traveling during our week stay.

We especially appreciated the shuttle service to/from the airport as we were new to Costa Rica and it was helpful to have someone take us to our destination rather than try to navigate our own transportation.

Overall, I would suggest this hostel to anyone who is interested! We saved a lot of money by staying at this "hostel" though I thought the service and accommodations were closer to that of a hotel! We were glad to give our business to this great family-run hostel!Might be an especially great pick for anyone visiting a member of USAC (the study abroad program) in San Ramon, as it is just a short walk from the University.
We thank Hostel Sabana for welcoming us to Costa Rica and adding to our great vacation!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Edgar R, Manager at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Hi Irene thank you so much for review and highlighting all the little things we do to make our guests stay more enjoyable, we couldn't have said it better. It was great meeting you and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. ¡Pura vida!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at Hostel Sabana for one night after a hellish 5 hour bus journey from the coast. I showed up in town without a reservation and nowhere else to go. Little did I know that they were booked up full. After chatting with the staff for a bit they said that they did have one extra room that they could convert into a sleeping space for me. I was so grateful and amazed that I cannot describe how blessed they made me feel. The make-shift room they made up was much more than that, it had a private bath and a comfortable double bed. The Hostel is only 4 blocks from a cool little restaurant that has awesome nachos and is only 10 minutes from the bus station, park, and cathedral. I can't wait to come back and spend more time at Hostel Sabana and San Ramon, the town has a magnetic vibe to it. I highly recommend visiting.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Gus thanks for your response we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and that you were ok with the room. Since we are the only hostel in San Ramon we really try our best to accommodate all travelers. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey and hope to see you again in the future.
¡pura vida!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My sister & I stayed at the hostel for 2 weeks whilst volunteering in San Ramon. Our rooms were cleaned daily & the staff were always happy to help us in anyway they could, be it directions in town or bookings & discounts for activities.The included breakfast was delicious- this family can definitely cook! Thank you for a wonderful stay. Hope to be back in the future.

• Stayed January 2014
Edgar R, Manager at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hey girls thanks for your review and for being flexible around our life events. We do our best to make everyone feel at home. Good luck back at home and let us know the next time you are in town. ¡Pura vida!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was a wonderful hostel. The staff was friendly and the accommodations were excellent. I'll absolutely return the next time I'm in the area! The hostel was in a safe area and you could very easily access the rest of the town by foot.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Hi Ben,
Thank you for the review we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.
¡Pura vida!
Peck, Idaho
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I highly recommend staying here. It was very clean and the owners were friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable. I was able to keep my luggage there while I traveled. They provided a shuttle to the airport. I would recommend ear plugs if you aren't used to street noise. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The back room away from the street might be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. There isn't much we can do about the traffic but the rooms in back are a little quieter. We hope you had a safe trip home and for any traveler that wants to use San Ramón as their base we are happy to store their luggage for them while they are visiting other parts of Costa Rica.

¡pura vida!
Chappaqua, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I know the Rojas family very well from volunteering for Habitat for Humanity many years ago. They are so warm, caring and kind. They treat everyone like family. The hostel is so clean and is located right in the heart of San Ramon. It is a perfect place to stay while you are in San Ramon de Alajuela. Make sure you toma cafe with Edgar, Miriam, and Melissa. They are amazing people, that you will absolutely adore!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Hi Michelle thank you for your kind comments. We really enjoyed seeing you and hope you had a great time visiting Costa Rica de nuevo. ¡Pura vida!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stay at this place every time I go to San Ramon. It is clean and the owners are on sight. It is safe, clean, hot water, and in walking distance to the city center. I highly recommend this place. I think I will be staying there again in March of next year!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello TAJASM,
Thank you so much for your review. Being a small family run hostel we really pride ourselves in providing clean, safe and friendly accommodations. We are really happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again in the future.

¡Pura vida!