“Amazing hostel with a welcoming family vibe”
Review of Hostel Sabana

Hostel Sabana
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed at Hostel Sabana for one night after a hellish 5 hour bus journey from the coast. I showed up in town without a reservation and nowhere else to go. Little did I know that they were booked up full. After chatting with the staff for a bit they said that they did have one extra room that they could convert into a sleeping space for me. I was so grateful and amazed that I cannot describe how blessed they made me feel. The make-shift room they made up was much more than that, it had a private bath and a comfortable double bed. The Hostel is only 4 blocks from a cool little restaurant that has awesome nachos and is only 10 minutes from the bus station, park, and cathedral. I can't wait to come back and spend more time at Hostel Sabana and San Ramon, the town has a magnetic vibe to it. I highly recommend visiting.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Hi Gus thanks for your response we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and that you were ok with the room. Since we are the only hostel in San Ramon we really try our best to accommodate all travelers. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your journey and hope to see you again in the future.
¡pura vida!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

My sister & I stayed at the hostel for 2 weeks whilst volunteering in San Ramon. Our rooms were cleaned daily & the staff were always happy to help us in anyway they could, be it directions in town or bookings & discounts for activities.The included breakfast was delicious- this family can definitely cook! Thank you for a wonderful stay. Hope to be back in the future.

• Stayed: January 2014
Edgar R, Manager at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Hey girls thanks for your review and for being flexible around our life events. We do our best to make everyone feel at home. Good luck back at home and let us know the next time you are in town. ¡Pura vida!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was a wonderful hostel. The staff was friendly and the accommodations were excellent. I'll absolutely return the next time I'm in the area! The hostel was in a safe area and you could very easily access the rest of the town by foot.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Hi Ben,
Thank you for the review we are really glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to serving you again in the future.
¡Pura vida!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I highly recommend staying here. It was very clean and the owners were friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable. I was able to keep my luggage there while I traveled. They provided a shuttle to the airport. I would recommend ear plugs if you aren't used to street noise. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The back room away from the street might be quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. There isn't much we can do about the traffic but the rooms in back are a little quieter. We hope you had a safe trip home and for any traveler that wants to use San Ramón as their base we are happy to store their luggage for them while they are visiting other parts of Costa Rica.

¡pura vida!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I know the Rojas family very well from volunteering for Habitat for Humanity many years ago. They are so warm, caring and kind. They treat everyone like family. The hostel is so clean and is located right in the heart of San Ramon. It is a perfect place to stay while you are in San Ramon de Alajuela. Make sure you toma cafe with Edgar, Miriam, and Melissa. They are amazing people, that you will absolutely adore!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Hi Michelle thank you for your kind comments. We really enjoyed seeing you and hope you had a great time visiting Costa Rica de nuevo. ¡Pura vida!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stay at this place every time I go to San Ramon. It is clean and the owners are on sight. It is safe, clean, hot water, and in walking distance to the city center. I highly recommend this place. I think I will be staying there again in March of next year!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Edgar R, Owner at Hostel Sabana, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hello TAJASM,
Thank you so much for your review. Being a small family run hostel we really pride ourselves in providing clean, safe and friendly accommodations. We are really happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again in the future.

¡Pura vida!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

These people treated me like family. They invited me out every day to go into the city with them. I had an opportunity to feel like a local. Their kindness is unparalleled. This is the hostel to stay at. With them, you are family

• Stayed: July 2013