“Best in Costa Rica”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 1, 2014

I am orginally from Florida and have lived in San Ramon for quite a few years.. Without any doubt, Marios "El Establo" is the best you can find for steaks in Costa Rica.This does not exclude anything on his varied menu. Everything is quality and his professional staff is always at your beckoning. His experience living in the states and working as a as a chef proved to be extremely valuable when he opened up his restaurant.It is popular not only with the "gringos" but the locals as well. Make it a point to stop in and meet Mario and just mention anything about horses or "Bonanza" (the old television western show) to him and he will become your friend immediately.
Rick Ohman

3  Thank rick_ohman

Reviewed December 2, 2013

One of the very best values I'm had in Costa Rica in a very long time. Ordering off the lunch menu, the chicken Marsala was a generous portion and very tasty, accompanied by roasted potatoes, green salad, lots of warm bread with a seasoned butter spread (almost unheard of here in CR), as well as a cold beverage. Also included was coffee and desert. In addition, my dining friend was very pleased with her tender beef dish. Definitely my new restaurant of choice when in San Ramon for lunch !

Reviewed October 17, 2013

They served 2 of our group bad tuna and they got food poisoning. I will not return. The waiter seemed weary of serving the tuna, suggested something else... they should have taken the hint.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

This restaurant had been touted as one of the best in San Ramón, and I was really looking forward to having a birthday lunch there. I ordered a filet mignon and told the waiter that I have a very severe allergy to gluten (had to explain what that is - absolutely NO wheat flour of any kind), as well as a deadly allergy to MSG. I explained the serious ramifications if I were to eat any of these two items, however small the contaminant. He seemed to understand.

Imagine my dismay when my meal arrived with the meat swimming in a brown gravy with canned mushrooms on it (definitely NOT a part of the description on the menu), and certainly not what would expect from a supposedly first-rate steakhouse. I asked what was in the gravy. He did not know. I asked him to go find out. He eventually came back - by then the steak was stone cold - with a package of Maggi gravy and offered it to me to read the instructions. Of course, Maggi gravy mix contains wheat and MSG! He took my plate away, and about a half-hour later, he returned with another filet mignon plate. By then, all the others had long finished eating.

Did the waiter not communicate to the kitchen the information about my serious allergies? It's not very difficult to check a package to see what's in it... not that I would have expected anything to come out of a package at a supposedly "good" restaurant.

I will unfortunately never go back there again because I cannot trust them with my health, and this incident just showed that they have no regard for their clients' health.

1  Thank Ghislaine Y
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband spent most of the week trying to figure where to take me for my birthday dinner while on vacation in San Ramon. Our hosts while we were there suggested Mario's Steakhouse. The funny thing is, he couldn't have found a better place with the friendliest owner and staff for the price of about $30. My husband had the chicken fajitas and I had red snapper and it was truly the best dish of the vacation. The kitchen is visible and we watched the chef while he prepared the meals. It is obvious he loves what he does. We visit Costa Rica as often as possible and it will be the first place I eat when I go back to San Ramon.