“Ultimate Aialik- wonderful trip.”
Review of Liquid Adventures

Liquid Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Professionally guided kayak and SUP trips in Kenai Fjords National Park, Resurrection Bay and amazing Bear Glacier. We are a small, owner-operated company that consistently offers the BEST paddling experience possible in a safe, fun and supportive environment. All abilities welcome. We are featured in National Geographic Adventure Magazine, The Unofficial Guide to Alaska and several other national titles.
Reviewed August 21, 2013

After a week's travel through the inside passage north from Vancouver, we joined Chris and Pam for our Ultimate Aialik single day paddle trip. We are novice paddlers, but also brought along our 7 year old twin sons for this adventure. I am sure some outfitters would have not recommended bringing such little kids along, but Chris and Pam were flexible and trusted us on our belief that the boys would be fine. It was truly an epic experience for the four of us. I really appreciated their good communication and input on what clothing/gear we needed to bring; poor gear selection can make or break an outdoor adventure. Turns out that extra suitcase was a good idea, as the weather was solidly Alaskan on the day of our trip. The boys later said that they thought the wet weather made it even more exciting an adventure than if it were “just” sunny :). We were very much made to feel at home- Chris did an excellent job explaining the landscape and entertaining questions from all of us. The combination of great company, interesting conversation, a delicious shore lunch, and quality paddling gear collectively made it a fantastic experience for all of us. We also appreciated a little extra paddling time- instead of paddling straight towards the glacier, Chris took us out and around an island en route to the glacier. This spaced us out and away from the other paddling groups, and separated us from some of the tour boats that came through- it added immensely to the experience for us. We loved gliding past this island, watching the wildlife, the waves breaking on its rocky edges, and hunting for sea life in the tide lines. We also thought it was really neat to see the glacier come into view as we rounded the island and were treated to a show as it calved dramatically a few times. I was stunned (with my East Coast perspective) to learn that it was still a few miles away at that point- seemed much closer. I also loved watching the view change as the fog and rain rolled through the fjord, it was as if the landscape was teasing me and only letting me see little bits and pieces at a time. That place was as humbling as it was beautiful. That experience will always be a part of our family’s memories and we thank you for a great time. Now I have to find some kayaks for my sons- they love kayaking and can’t stop talking about it :)

All reviews
"whole group"
"safe distance"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We did the Amazing Aialik Glacier excursion.
We did not have a great experience with our guide Joe. My husband and I were not great or experienced kayakers. The excursion is advertised as no experience needed. We were two of four on this one-day excursion. Our guide gave an intro to how to paddle, which was fine. Once in the water I was not doing it properly per my husband, and asked Joe for tips and specified I wanted his feedback. No matter how many times I asked him, he never proactively looked to check or offer advice, it was only after I asked him how I was doing or asked him for tips.
The other couple was better than us and ahead of us. The guide was in front of their boat and with them most of the time, so any narration he gave to them we missed. In addition, from a safety perspective, he was really far in front of us and we didn’t see him look back and check on us much at all. He stressed that folks falling out of kayaks was extremely rare (3 times in 10 years for this outfitter), but still, it was important enough for him to give us a safety briefing on how to handle it at the beginning of the excursion. Part of that briefing was that he would come and help us – how fast could he do that if he was far ahead of us and not looking back much?
I expected better for the amount we paid ($399 per person). I know this fee also covered the water taxi, but still, if you’re going to say an excursion is open to beginners, be ready to help and cater to them.
Note that the time on the water taxi to the bay is not included in this rating – all the outfitters for this excursion seemed to use the same boat, so if you’re choosing between companies this is not a huge factor. We saw wildlife (whales, puffins, sea lions) and this was great. It is also not a rating of the glacier itself, which is awesome.
If you are looking at this review in 2014 or beyond, this summer was this guide’s first time in Seward and he might not be a regular, so he might not return in future years.

4  Thank ClaudiainDC
TeamLiquid, Owner at Liquid Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Hi Claudia-

I've just read the TripAdvisor review you posted and wanted to address your disapproval with your kayaking trip. I am very sorry to hear you are unhappy with our services and honestly quite shocked. In ten years of business this is our first review that has scored anything less than Very Good or Excellent. In addition, our guide Joe consistently receives excellent reviews here on TripAdvisor and I have been told personally by many guests that his knowledge and style was a major component in making their trip special. In regards to our adventures not being appropriate for new or beginner paddlers, I can only say that most of our guests are just that and we historically have a great track record. Nevertheless, I will be speaking to Joe on his return from today’s trip to get his perspective on the day and then I will contact you personally to discuss your trip further.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete this review. Feedback allows us to grow as an organization and provide you the best trips possible.

Chris Mautino / Owner

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was a great trip. Spectacular scenery & wildlife, good food, great campsites, and excellent equipment provided by L.A. Chris knew all the places to go and was laid back and fun to paddle with.

1  Thank Bruce T
Reviewed August 11, 2013

There are several kayak rental and guiding services in Seward, but they are far from equal. Chris and Pam at Liquid Adventures are excellent at what they do and it shows. After talking with several kayak rental companies in Seward, we decided to go with Liquid Adventures for our 4-day trip in Kenai Fjords. We are fairly experienced kayakers who were looking for a multi-day tour with a lot of paddling, but Liquid Adventures can also provide the beginner kayaker with excellent equipment, advice, and guiding. The planning process was easy because Pam answered all our questions and was always easy to contact, even with a four hour time zone difference. The equipment (tent, boat, cooking gear) was excellent which is essential on a 4-day paddle in rainy conditions (we did bring our own sleeping pads, PFDs and paddles). Pam prepped the food and Chris cooked it on the trip. Wonderful, healthy food. We even asked for a recipe or two. Finally, Chris and Pam have been guiding in the area for many years and know it well, including all the camping sites, how to safely paddle in the sometimes iffy conditions in Kenai Fjords, and how safely navigate in and around glaciers and glacial ice. This ensures that no matter what the conditions or paddler experience, Liquid Adventures can provide a good trip (see reviews of some other kayak services regarding aborted trips, short trips etc and you'll see what I mean). In short, if you want to kayak in Seward, you cannot go wrong with Liquid Adventures.

1  Thank Tim S