“Polar Jump weekend”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“Polar Jump weekend”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Went to Seward for the Polar bear jump .Stayed at this Hotel : ) The room was really nice and spacious,.very clean,and comfortable I realy liked the built in hairdryers,I have long hair and its usualy a pain to dry : ) .We ate at their restaurant , Eggs Benedict was awesome : ) My husband loved the morning Mimosa : )
Had a wonderful time down stairs playing we bowling for charity. They had it on a 72 inch tv !!
So much fun : ) All ages had a good time . Thank you Hotel Seward for a awesome weekend
We will definatly be back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a friend on a road trip through the Kenai peninsula. We stayed in the old part of the hotel, where the walls were paper thin, the phone was from 1982 and we could hear our neighbor snoring all night. For $99 it was the cheapest in the town, but I wouldn't recommend for anyone who plans on trying to get a good nights rest. Nice, helpful staff gets an A for effort.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jmg901
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I'm not going to beat around the bush, this place is a little eccentric, but overall we really enjoyed our stay here.

Pros: Very comfortable bed, large rooms, huge bathrooms, microwave, coffee maker, interesting and eclectic lobby.
Cons: The decor of the rooms is a bit dated and old school with fake flowers, lots of rococo looking pillows, we had breakfast at the restaurant one morning and would not do that again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon J
Talkeetna, Alaska
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the Hotel Seward. The rooms are large, clean and nicely decorated. The hotel is filled with lots of historical information and decorated to the gills making for a warm festive environment. The staff in the hotel lounge/restaurant were very attentive and the breakfast was delicious. The winter rates are great for the service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lehigh Acres, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2013

While I had eaten in its Ms. Gene’s restaurant during a day-trip from Homer some years ago, this was a first over-night stay. Knowing its attached restaurant was then and still is now excellent, I was attracted by the “Victorian” ambiance, its variety of rooms, the taxidermy studio, its uniqueness and the helpful staff who addressed my questions from thousands of miles away. Once I offered my name on check-in, it was the ‘I remember” thing from then on. They certainly help you feel at home.

Seward, as your research probably suggests, is a quaint ‘fishing’ village at the far end of the Alaska rail road and adjacent to Resurrection Bay. It survives on tourists. While seasonal trains and boats and Highway 1 (being repaved Oct 2013) bring supplies and building material, it is not a major city. So you should expect higher prices and compromised construction, electronics etc. Food it not compromised at all.

As to the variety of rooms, you can book a youth-hostel type space with shared showers all the way to an executive view suite in a newer constructed and refurbished Alaska Wing section. The room descriptive terms can be confusing. Since this was a short overnight visit, the view was not a criteria; but, privacy and bed comfort were.

We booked a “KNS” and a “QNS” which I believe were king bed and a queen bed deluxe rooms with baths in the newer Alaska Wing. Both were $98 off-season. A ‘fireplace’ is the electric no heat-but-looks-like-a-fire type that avoids fire hazards. I’d never known of the TV brand but is was a flat screen that worked as did the Wi-Fi. The room was very clean, the shower hot, the bed and multiple pillows super comfy, the lights adequate for bed reading etc. The provided towels, shampoo and lotion were first rate. I didn’t need a view and there was not one. The parking lot is smallish, well covered in gravel to avoid the rain puddles but oddly had two entrances with a not-so-obvious back alley out.

My guests thoroughly enjoyed both their room and the Ms. Gene’s meals. I did too except I believe the couple next to me had much more fun than I do traveling alone! I’ll add ‘quiet’ next time.

Room Tip: There are several room types so ask for what you expect / need!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bertram28
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Bertram28, I sincerely appreciate your review. Hopefully it will help others to understand that the hotel is diversified in room styles and has 2 separate wings. Each wing offering room styles with varying amenities at different price levels to meet their needs. Yet, they share the common areas of the lobby , decor , Ms Gene's Place restaurant and lounge, as well as a 24 hour staff. We look forward to seeing you again, thank you sincerely for your extra time in writing this review, Mary
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went to Seward on a whim and the last room that was available in the whole town was at the quaint hotel called, Hotel Seward. It is a little bit older and the decor looks like your grandma's house but it was nice and clean. We couldn't be too picky since that was our only choice but it was also a little steep for an average room, we paid about $300/night since it was on the same weekend as the Mount Marathon race and 4th of July. It had a nice family restaurant attached, Gene's restaurant, the service was a little slow but I don't think this town is use so many people except for this one weekend a year.

When we were looking for hotels surprisingly the Best Western across the street was the most expensive and it did not look like it was worth the cost either. I think we decided that this town is a little run down and there isn't anything super nice, it is charming though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Check was super easy, it was quiet and clean. We stayed for what night with three kids. The kids loved it, the beds were super comfy. And the price was much better than some of the big box neighbors. And of course the kids love the lobby with the taxidermy animals they can pet. We loved not having to drive to the restaurant and Sea Life center after a long car ride there, we just walked around downtown. I always put a critique in my review, so I found something. The side door we went in and out of had a puddle in front of it, so we had to do a little stretch to get over it. I understands its Alaska and we can't control the freezing ground, but I had to find something for them to improve!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family