“The Hotel Seward is now a favored destination.”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Lehigh Acres, Florida
“The Hotel Seward is now a favored destination.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

While I had eaten in its Ms. Gene’s restaurant during a day-trip from Homer some years ago, this was a first over-night stay. Knowing its attached restaurant was then and still is now excellent, I was attracted by the “Victorian” ambiance, its variety of rooms, the taxidermy studio, its uniqueness and the helpful staff who addressed my questions from thousands of miles away. Once I offered my name on check-in, it was the ‘I remember” thing from then on. They certainly help you feel at home.

Seward, as your research probably suggests, is a quaint ‘fishing’ village at the far end of the Alaska rail road and adjacent to Resurrection Bay. It survives on tourists. While seasonal trains and boats and Highway 1 (being repaved Oct 2013) bring supplies and building material, it is not a major city. So you should expect higher prices and compromised construction, electronics etc. Food it not compromised at all.

As to the variety of rooms, you can book a youth-hostel type space with shared showers all the way to an executive view suite in a newer constructed and refurbished Alaska Wing section. The room descriptive terms can be confusing. Since this was a short overnight visit, the view was not a criteria; but, privacy and bed comfort were.

We booked a “KNS” and a “QNS” which I believe were king bed and a queen bed deluxe rooms with baths in the newer Alaska Wing. Both were $98 off-season. A ‘fireplace’ is the electric no heat-but-looks-like-a-fire type that avoids fire hazards. I’d never known of the TV brand but is was a flat screen that worked as did the Wi-Fi. The room was very clean, the shower hot, the bed and multiple pillows super comfy, the lights adequate for bed reading etc. The provided towels, shampoo and lotion were first rate. I didn’t need a view and there was not one. The parking lot is smallish, well covered in gravel to avoid the rain puddles but oddly had two entrances with a not-so-obvious back alley out.

My guests thoroughly enjoyed both their room and the Ms. Gene’s meals. I did too except I believe the couple next to me had much more fun than I do traveling alone! I’ll add ‘quiet’ next time.

Room Tip: There are several room types so ask for what you expect / need!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Bertram28
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Bertram28, I sincerely appreciate your review. Hopefully it will help others to understand that the hotel is diversified in room styles and has 2 separate wings. Each wing offering room styles with varying amenities at different price levels to meet their needs. Yet, they share the common areas of the lobby , decor , Ms Gene's Place restaurant and lounge, as well as a 24 hour staff. We look forward to seeing you again, thank you sincerely for your extra time in writing this review, Mary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We went to Seward on a whim and the last room that was available in the whole town was at the quaint hotel called, Hotel Seward. It is a little bit older and the decor looks like your grandma's house but it was nice and clean. We couldn't be too picky since that was our only choice but it was also a little steep for an average room, we paid about $300/night since it was on the same weekend as the Mount Marathon race and 4th of July. It had a nice family restaurant attached, Gene's restaurant, the service was a little slow but I don't think this town is use so many people except for this one weekend a year.

When we were looking for hotels surprisingly the Best Western across the street was the most expensive and it did not look like it was worth the cost either. I think we decided that this town is a little run down and there isn't anything super nice, it is charming though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Check was super easy, it was quiet and clean. We stayed for what night with three kids. The kids loved it, the beds were super comfy. And the price was much better than some of the big box neighbors. And of course the kids love the lobby with the taxidermy animals they can pet. We loved not having to drive to the restaurant and Sea Life center after a long car ride there, we just walked around downtown. I always put a critique in my review, so I found something. The side door we went in and out of had a puddle in front of it, so we had to do a little stretch to get over it. I understands its Alaska and we can't control the freezing ground, but I had to find something for them to improve!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the a Hotel Seward and would definitely stay there again. We stayed in the Executive King View room and it was wonderful - esp. the comfortable bed. Staff was very friendly and helpful too.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
ks
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Seward. The room was very comfortable. The staff were very helpful. There are lots of interesting buildings and walk routes to explore, and the Sea Life Center is just around the corner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Alaska is expensive... and I knew when we booked this place that it was "old school" and we would have to share a bathroom. We were encouraged by the good reviews on trip advisor. Unfortunately I still didn't feel that it was worth $100 a night in the off season.

Problems: The walls are paper thin; one of the two bathrooms on our floor had a very difficult lock which is hard to navigate when half asleep; there is no "do not disturb sign to place on the door; the bed is way too soft; the cleaning staff use very smelly products which gave me a head ache.

Plusses: The staff really are wonderful; The lobby is like a museum for taxidermy

Room Tip: Room 201 is right over the bar and very loud on weekend nights but the internet works in room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BethLesser
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Fishing with the hotel's resident guide Wes was fantastic. He is an exceptional guide because he understands customer service and adapts the day to best fit his clients. Despite horrible weather, Wes had us catching fish and having a blast. Wes made sure it wasn't *only* about catching fish - it was about enjoying the overall experience of being out on the river. This was our first time fishing with fly rods, but with Wes's patient instructions, even my 9-year old daughter had it down pat in no time. The day with Wes was the highlight of our trip. I can't WAIT to get back and fish with Wes again next summer! We didn't stay at the Hotel Steward but judging from our first impressions of the location, building, very cool lobby, and very friendly front desk staff, we definitely would stay there if not for the special deals for military we get at the nearby Seward Military Resort.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family