“Quaint and historic”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Boerne, Texas
“Quaint and historic”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Located in the downtown part of Seward, this hotel is within walking distance of many shops and restaurants, although not near the marina. We stayed in the Alaska wing, not the historic one. Rooms are small and unremarkable but comfortable and although it was warm when we were here, the breeze off the bay and a really nice room fan kept us comfortable enough to sleep. I did notice a great room (peeked in while it was being cleaned) and it had a big King bed, sitting area with fireplace and great views of the bay--Room 333. The downstairs lobby was an interesting sort of mini-museum, with photos of early Seward and all kinds of stuffed animals/animal heads representing most of the species of Alaskan wildlife. This is a nice hotel, but I would try to stay at the Best Western first, as they have killer views of the bay from every room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a must in the area. Our room was extremely comfortable. We booked an executive king. They even had robes in the room. The staff was very welcoming and we would like to go back for the comfort and hospitality.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Free parking space is limited and narrow. Location is good as it's close to the main street which has lots of restaurants, and it's also close to the shore/beach. The hotel provides a free shuttle bus which can take you to the ports/ferry terminals and train depot for the cruise ships and trains respectively. We stayed in the historic wing with shared bathrooms. There're 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor which are shared by all the rooms on that level. Bathrooms and corridor seems to be heated, so it's not so cold. Towels and toiletries are provided. Hot water showers are available. A heater and wash basin are available in our room. Room space is tight but the beds are comfy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We spent 24 hours in Seward before our cruise and couldn't have picked a better hotel. The hotel has a free shuttle from the train station and went out of their way to let us check in early. Our room was spacious and clean with lots of historical charm. When I travel for pleasure I refuse to stay in chain hotels opting to experience the local flavor. The entire staff was friendly, especially Donovan, Jamie, and Tim. They treated us like family suggesting the best restaurants, and activities. If I'm ever lucky enough to get back to Seward, I would definitely want to stay at Hotel Seward!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We paid $180 for a room in the so-called historic wing, with a promisef view of historic Seward. What we got was a room on the alley with a view of trash cans and gas bottles. Very noisy, restaurant staff took out the trash every a.m. and p.m., complete with slamming doors next to our historic window. Trash truck came at 7 a.m., 18" away from our historic window. Noisy and stinky. Bed was awful. Way over-priced for what you get.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank limeofmylife
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I do apologize that you thought there was a view from the 1st floor Historic Wing, our View rooms are on The Alaska Wing 2nd and 3rd floor only. The Historic Wing has it shortcoming , the rooms are smaller and the room rate is 159 during the summer. Room 12 is a newly remodeled room, decor, bathroom etc. with a new Simmons Pillow Top Bed. Thank you for the notice on the bed. I did will follow up to see what the problem could be. Hopefully it was just softer then you liked. I do realize though that, this does not address your stay. I can only say I am sincerely sorry that your stay was not what we both would have liked for you and especially that my staff was not more considerate at 11pm, I will notice my staff to be aware of the our guest. As for the city trash pick up I have tried to get them to change their schedule but I have not prevailed, I will try again. I thank you for your time and your input, it helps us to improve. Fortunately many guest have stayed and not had these errors and we will continue to strive that all guest enjoy their stay. It is helpful to share any issue with a hotel while while you are there, so we can work on a solution to help make your stay better. I can only apologize again and I wish you better travels , Mary Kulstad- owner
jccatlady
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We decided last minute to go to Seward for the weekend and booked our room at Hotel Seward. The staff was very nice, the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is within walking distance to all of downtown and the Sea Life Center. The decor is wonderfully eclectic with the best historical photos down the Historic side hallway. Mrs. Genes Restaurant made a great breakfast including a really yummy eggs benedict. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I like the historical side although people who don't enjoy a real experience might prefer the mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
South Florida
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Been to Seward multiple times, Hotel Seward is my favorite place to stay. Location is convenient to downtown and the Marine Life Center. Holiday Inn Express has a nicer view but Hotel Seward has the charrn, decor and friendly staff that make it my #1 choice.

Rooms are tight but beautiful and well appointed. On site restaurant is tiny but they also have room service. Limited dinner menu is terrific, food awesome.
Breakfast at Hotel Seward is the best in town, probably the best on the Kenai Peninsula. Breakfast items are the best my firends and I have ever had...... delicious, freshly prepared and addicting. Omlettes are unbelievably good (try the veggie or Dungeness crab omlettes) and fresh waffles are to die for. Breakfast potatoes are even extra good!

Staff is wonderful and helpful. Fishing guide on staff is a rustic guy but an outstanding guide and you'll catch fish.

Cant go wrong here, I recommend staying in the newer (not historic) part of the hotel. You'll love it

Room Tip: Historic side for value travelers, newer side much comfier
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends