“Peaceful and Relaxing”
Review of Orca Island Cabins

Orca Island Cabins
Ranked #12 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were very short on time and decided to opt for only one night on the island. What a mistake. We so wished we had spent at least two nights. Our visit was the highlight of our trip. The scenery from the yurts is beautiful. Sitting on your balcony watching the seagulls and occassionally getting a visit from the local sea lion (Sasha) was fun. I laid out on the pier and fished for a while in complete quiet (only 6 of us were on the island that day, 2 were honeymooners so we didn't see them much). Cooked shishkabobs and foil pack potatoes for dinner on the grill, saved the leftovers for hash the next morning. Had to cook but planned for easy meals so less stress than going to a restaurant.

My husband started a fire in one of the firepits on the rocks. Fished a little, catching 3 small rockfish, then roasted marshmallows and made smores. Went kayaking which was beautiful but a little scary since I had never been and was afraid that we were tip and there would be no help (yes, I am over cautious). The owners are a friendly, warm couple who really make sure you know everything you need to before they depart. Really like camping out on a deserted island but with all the amenities.

The cost is quite a lot per person but well worth the money ($470 a night per couple in June). If you had to pay for all the activities you can do here individually (bay cruise, kayaking, fishing, viewing wildlife, etc.), it would be a lot more costly than the price you pay per night so opt for the 2nd night, and maybe even a 3rd or 4th night stay, if you need to relax and like to enjoy nature.

Thanks Dennis and Susan for providing a place where I could finally get that relaxation that I needed. Hope to visit again one day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen0229
sslink, Owner at Orca Island Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Jen,

Susan and I are very pleased that you had such a wonderful time at Orca Island Cabins taking advantage of all that our little island and surrounding waters and coastline have to offer. And we appreciate your understanding of the value you receive for the price we charge to stay at the island. It is our goal to provide, at a reasonable cost, comfortable accommodations and a variety of recreational opportunities in this very special wilderness setting. We enjoyed visiting with you and hope that you can visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night in Orca Island and really enjoyed it. Its a very welcome change from the Seward harbor area as its very isolated that the Yurts were very cool and well equipped. There is not much to do this other than enjoy the spectacular setting and kayak around the bay but that's great if you want a place to unwind and relax. Very romantic setting. Since the owners leave in the night and there are no services you need to be self-sustaining. Bring extra food and drinks as you can always take any extra back with you to the mainland.

Room Tip: We had the Kittywake room which we believe had one of the best views on the island....second choice...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Orca Island is situated in a beautiful bay and offers stunning views and a truly unique experience. The cabins for comfortable and cozy despite our spat of bad weather. On a nice day, if you really liked kayaking, I'm sure this place would be fantastic. However if you you want to do anything else, you're out of luck. I booked 2 nights at Orca Island with the hopes of doing some fishing, based on the fact that they said the had fishing gear. What they actually have is a pile of leftover tackle, rusty hooks, and some cut-rate rods that had next to no line on them. Had I known this I would have just brought my own tackle. I don't know why they would bother to advertise fishing gear when they have such a dismal selection to offer.

Unfortunately we had terrible weather our first night. It was driving rain and after 2 hours spent in a 20 ft room I was going crazy. I would have happily walked around and explored in the rain but there is literally nothing to do and nowhere to go unless you take a boat. Even when the rain finally cleared up and we could go out kayaking, there was nowhere to get off and walk around. The only point of interest the owner told us about was a small stream about 20 minutes away. Now I'm sure if we had great weather and we actually got to see some of the wildlife boasted about it would have been a fun time. My point is this: Don't count on it. If you do happen to get bad weather, you will be stuck in a small room that doesn't get dark at night because the large skylight has no curtain. There isn't even are area outside where you can sit and be sheltered from the rain. The one small roof they do have on a separate deck was no match for even a light wind.

Susan and Dennis were friendly, but not what I would call accommodating. When we arrived at the dock early, as had been requested, Dennis was having boat problems. I know for a fact they had my cell phone. A heads up to warn us they were running late would have been great. Instead he waited until we were standing on the dock in the rain to inform us we would have to wait even longer. When the boat finally was fixed and Dennis came to get us from what little shelter there was, he did not offer to help with any of the luggage. When they returned to the Island to pick us up the following day and we informed them that we wished to leave early, Susan was hesitant to even agree to take us to shore, much less offer any recompense for the night we would be cancelling. Dennis did not say anything to us about our stay. For what it's worth my sheets were also dirty. Again, the owners were not rude, they just seemed more annoyed that we had had a less than desirable night rather than apologetic.

In summary, if you are fine with a slow pace, if you like to sit and read for hours on end, if you like to kayak with no particular destination, and if you get good weather Orca Islands really is beautiful and unique. However if you like to fish, or explore areas on a kayak, or even just walk around you will be severely limited. And if you get itchy feet after two hours like I do, you will be pulling your hair out.

Room Tip: They were not open to us requesting a specific cabin
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Ian F

We are certainly sorry that these guests did not have, primarily due to the rainy conditions they encountered during their stay, the kind of experience that they had hoped for or expected. Although we provide basic fishing tackle, consisting of a variety of lures and fishing rods and reels, we always encourage guests, who express a strong desire to fish, to bring additional gear if they wish, including bait. We are not a fishing lodge but do provide basic fishing gear for our guests to use and enjoy. We also advise guests who have a strong desire to fish, that they can arrange for a fishing charter to pick them up at the island for a day of serious fishing. Because we are a small island, kayaking and use of our row boats and stand-up paddle boards are the main activities that enable our guests to explore beautiful Humpy Cove and the nearby coastline. When heavy rains occur like these guests experienced, most guests opt for inside activities of their choosing, taking the rainy conditions in stride. We also have an art gallery/studio (with fireplace) for our guests to gather in and enjoy in times of inclement weather in addition to the gazebo deck that guests utilize on rainy days. For those who are intent to fish, it can be frustrating to not being able to do so in comfort on rainy days. We will continue to do our best to provide comfortable accommodations in this remote wilderness setting and a variety of recreational options for our guests to enjoy. We can only hope for the best as to the weather.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I had seen Orca Island Cabins on "The Today Show," so I had to go! Dennis and Susan were so nice and hospitable. Dennis picks you up on his water taxi and tries his best to show you a few whales while driving out to Humpy Cove. We stayed here on two very sunny days in early July, but I can see that this experience would have been just as unique and peaceful even with rain or overcast skies. The yurts are so cute......and nicely decorated.....and are absolutely comfy and cozy.......and you can't beat the view and tranquility. We stayed in "Puffin" and it was private and peaceful. Without a doubt, we recommend this place to all. I'd recommend kayaking in the late evening. We were able to catch a few salmon and rockfish. And the walk to the waterfall is so pretty in the evening or early morning. There's something mystical and magical about that place in the evening. Keep a watch out for the curious seals. And waterproof pants and shoes are a good idea.
Keep up the good work, Susan and Dennis. You guys have a really good thing going.........very unique.......very "real Alaska"........and very cool! You inspired us to get the heck outta the rat race...
XO Kristen and Jeff (from Florida)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently stayed one night at Orca Island Cabins and had a wonderful time. We were not one of the lucky ones to get clear skies, but even in the rain and mist it was a great adventure. We took the kayaks out for a paddle and saw a mother and baby harbor porpoise. The yurts are clean and very comfortable. My recommendation is to stay more than one night if possible. I will definitely go again the next time we are up in the area. Great experience for couples or families. A great value when you take into consideration the boat ride to and from the island, unlimited use of the kayaks and a once in a lifetime experience of staying in such a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Bring sleep mask in the summer, the yurts do not have black out drapes :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My son and I got to stay overnight at this lovely place and it was just amazing! The peace and quiet except for the birds was just what the doctor ordered. My son spent a lot of time kayaking around in the cove with Sasha (the harbor seal). We had wonderful guests from New York on the island with us and it was just simply Paradise....The work that has gone into making this resort is nothing short of unbelievable. The owners take much pride in this resort and it shows! So glad we made it part of our trip, just wish we could have stayed longer....Thank you Dennis and Susan for sharing your paradise with the rest of us!

Room Tip: A yurt that hangs out over the water was my preference and we so enjoyed watching the birds and mari...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sheila P
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We helped our gracious friends Susan and Dennis open their resort for 2013. What an exceptional experience! This was the first time we had stayed in a yurt, or been to Alaska for that matter. Views of wildlife and scenery abound - on the way out and back to the yurts - and during the stay. The kayaks and rafts were easy to use - the yurts impeccable. We barbequed with our friends, stayed up late talking and got up early to enjoy the peaceful environment and to explore the "resort". The water was so clear - and the tide pools full. We kayaked with a humpback whale, saw Stellar Sea Lions, harbor seals, a black bear on the distant meadow, lots of birds, and Dall's porpoises. Guests paddle-boarded. Susan is an exceptional artist and her new gallery shows off her fabulous paintings, and friends' jewelry and hand-painted scarves. A must for those who want a relaxing experience out in nature.

Room Tip: All 5 yurts have exceptional views - and lots of privacy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple