As the fog slowly settled over the snow capped peaks, and the sun set over the Kenai Peninsula, we set out for our last kayak of the day, at midnight on June 28th. Such were the memories we have of a beautiful 2 days on this island. We stayed at the Orca Island Cabins in Resurrection Bay June 28th-30th, 2012. This was a truly memorable experience for our two families, both traveling together to Alaska for the first time. Dennis and Sandy are fantastic hosts, and truly care about your experience on the island. When I think of the Orca Island Cabins, I think of several moments.
1. The midnight sun, as noted above.
2. Watching one teen in our party catch 13 fish in one day (she had never caught any fish before in her life).
3. Kayaking to a beautiful glacier waterfall one early evening, and to Fox Island one early morning.
4. Relaxing on the beautiful decks overlooking the bay.
1. The Orca Island Cabins are a 20-30 minute boat ride from Seward. Dennis picks you up at the boat dock in Seward Harbor at 12:30 and transports you to the island on his private boat. It's a great boat ride, passing Prospect Glacier and other beautiful glaciers. The Orca Island Cabins are located in Humpy Cove, an inlet on Resurrection Bay. Humpy Cove is a secluded inlet, peaceful, with little to no human traffic other than occasional kayakers. You have much more contact with sea otters, harbor seals, starfish, and eagles than any human contact. You have a great view of Fox Island from the Orca Island Cabins.
2. The cabins are yurts, with 3 yurts located on the island and 2 yurts located a short distance away on the mainland, each connected together by a semi-circular bridge. If your group is large enough, rent the 3 "island" yurts. The view from the observation deck of the "island" yurts is incredible. Dennis and Sandy charge by the person, not by the number of yurts you reserve. Each yurt can hold 3-4 persons, two in a queen size bed and 1-2 in a large futon.
2. The furnishings, though rustic are in great condition. The facility is eco-friendly, with good kitchen and bath/shower facilities. You must bring your own supply of food, drinks (and ice) for your stay. We purchased our food and drinks the morning of our reservation at the local Safeway store in Seward. Once you are on the island, you cannot get back to Seward to "stock up". Bring what you need at the beginning of the trip. Dennis is very good about transporting both luggage and food supplies on the boat.
3. Phone reception in Humpy Cove is spotty at best, better if you have Verizon, but spotty if you have AT&T.
4. The island would be great for a wide age range of travelers, including school age children, teens, young adults, families and older couples. It may be a bit confining (and even difficult) for families with young children though. Our group consisted of two families with teens/young adults, ranging from 17-23 years in age. It was a great experience for both the parents and the teens/young adults.
5. In late June-early July, you have the midnight sun, allowing us to kayak into the midnight hours. In late July-August, the salmon enter Humpy Cove, making it a potentially great fishing experience.
6. We were lucky with the weather, experiencing two beautiful sunny days. Even if it had rained both days (which is common in these parts), this would have still been a wonderful experience.
Our family has stayed in many memorable locations over the years. This was one of the most memorable, and clearly one of the best. I would come recommend this location to anyone traveling to Alaska. I am already planning our trip back. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this experience a 12.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A unique place to stay when visiting Seward Alaska, our nightly rental cabins are comfortable accommodations in a remote setting. Our rates include a 30 minute scenic cruise to the property from Seward as well as all the equipment use including kayaks, stand up paddle boards, rowing skiffs, and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Travelocity so you can book your Orca Island Cabins reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Orca Island Cabins Hotel Seward