“Cute, good location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Whistle Stop Lodging
Ranked #30 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We thought it was fun staying in the train car (had stayed in another train car in Fairbanks on previous trip), and the location was so convenient - free parking in downtown Seward is sometimes iffy, and we could walk to everything we needed including the cruise. It was much quieter than I expected, too. Fun to look out on the harbor right from our window. I enjoyed the self-check in especially since you never need to worry about misplacing a key. There were a few minor issues - toilet paper ran out, soap in shower dispenser was empty. Also instructions on the heater were inadequate, we never figured out how to get it to stay on all night. Unable to report these items to the manager since we didn't discover them till after hours (not really emergencies so we wouldn't disturb her at home). All in all we had a good time there.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank NotTooFussySC

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Sink didn't drain, no place to put luggage or hang wet clothing, bedding not provided for second bed. Strictly self check-in self service, no contact with anyone. Was locked out just before midnight because of electronic locks not working properly and had to wake up Debra. What a beast and very rude. No apology - asked why we didn't wake up people in next room to let us in instead of calling her at home. Wow. Had to drive payment to her house next morning. Definitely will never stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank lisette
Alaskasview, Manager at Whistle Stop Lodging, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Thank you for letting us know of your problems while at the Whistle Stop. Unless someone notifies us of problems like a sink not working, sheets missing, etc while they are staying at the unit, it is hard for us to take care of the problem for you. If we had know we would have explained were the sheets were and attempted to fix the sink for you.

Also thank you for letting us know that there was a problem for you as to where to put your luggage. Again, unless someone shares this information with us, we are unaware that this is a problem and no one before has mentioned it as a problem. We will put luggage racks in the room.

Yes the units are self check-in as noted on the confirmation under directions. We did this so people would not be limited as to what time they had to be there to check-in. I am sorry you found this to be an inconvenience. When setting up the self check-in situation I really thought we were making it easier for everyone. You can be sure if there are any more complaints or problems with self check-in we will reconsider self check-in and change it so check in time is limited to a 2 hour span as it is in many small nightly lodging businesses. We are always making improvements and considering our customers comments.

Also I apologize that you found making payment to be inconvenient. There was an option to leave payment in the unit if you were paying with a check. On occasion when customers contacted us and let us know there was a problem coming to the office, we have made other arrangement for them. I am sorry we did not know it was an inconvenience for you until we received notification from Trip Advisor.

Yes we are strict about check-out. But as the information reads, to let us know you need a late check out, if possible we will arrange the cleaners hours so they are not waiting for customers to leave.

I am truly sorry that you miss understood my comment about waking the neighbors. It was late in the evening, you looked cold and tired. You had gone to the neighboring hotel to contact me, then you had to wait for me to get there. I just thought it might have been easier and quicker for you to get in. You looked so tired & unhappy.

Also I thought I had apologized to you when you came into pay for there being a problem with the lock and for my grumpiness when I was woken up. We did install a new lock that day after we knew there was a problem. So I am not sure why there was a need to bad mouth Whistle Stop on Trip Advisor . We probably could have taken care of most of your issues while you were still there if we had been notified of them.

I have to say it is kind of ironic that I just had a customer come to the office to pay. She said the entire trip to Alaska was terrible because of the rain. The only thing they really enjoyed was the Whistle Stop.

Reviewed August 1, 2010

That old saying was never more true than here. We disembarked a cruise ship and were staying in Seward three days without a car before taking the bus to Anchorage to rent one for the duration of our trip. Staying here there was absolutely no need for a car. I always book my rooms on the basis of convenience, and this was the most convenient ever! Literally everything you could want was in walking distance, or in walking distance of the free shuttle stop. The Exit Glacier shuttle was next door, and many great restaurants and Fjords National Park cruises were within a very short walk.

In addition, it was quite clean and refreshingly large after spending the week in a cruise ship cabin.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VaTraveler46
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Reservation policy never explained to me personally but was willing to take my credit card number from a friend and knew she was not speaking with me personally. Had to cancel less than 24hrs. later and was charged $25.00. The inn keeper's response "don't give your credit card to other people and get your money from them". Living here in Alaska I have never been treated so rudely.

Stayed: July 2010
2  Thank anitaalaska
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This remodeled train is fantistic! It sit right on the harbor and is within 50 steps of the smoke house restaurant which is the BEST in Seward...ask for the Gumbo...it ROCKS!!!
The rooms are spacious and clean and it lolls you to sleep at night. Of all of the B&B's we stayed in on our trip (5) this stop had the absolute BEST bed. Very convenient to downtown Seward and the Seward highway!!!! LOVED IT and will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2009

At first we worried about the room size b/c it looks like 2 rooms in a narraw and small train car. But we're totally wrong! It has everything you need - A queen-size bed, a sleeper sofa, a kichenette, and a refrigerator, etc. The location is very convinent, right at the small harbor area in Seward. Restaurants are in walking distance or you can just go to Safeway and cook by yourself. It's one of our best memory during our 11-day trip in Alaska.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sleepywy
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stayed at the Whistle Stop 2 nights and wished we had more time. Seward is a nice city and the harbor is where the action is. The tours of the Kenai Fjord National Park leave from the harbor and there's lots of sports fishing as well. Kenai Fjord National Park is magical. Whales, Puffin, otters, glaciers and more.

The train car was roomy and clean with a refridgerator and microwave. Also has a stove for $10 more per day but there's no real need to cook because there are plenty of good places to eat nearby from pricey to very inexpensive and casual. You share the deck outside the room with a BBQ restaurant that has great breakfast. Didn't try lunch or dinner but the menu looked inviting and they were steadily busy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple