“Lots of wildlife felt like a bonus”

Renown Glacier Cruises & Tours
Reviewed June 15, 2009

My daughter and I went on the 6 hour Glacier tour and were thrilled with the amount of wildlife we saw. Puffins, Seals, Killer whales, Humpback whales, Dall porpoises, and a Sea Otter. There were many more birds and it felt like a giant bonus to seeing the Glacier. The Glacier was loud and I loved that they asked everyone to be quiet while we listened to the shifting and cracking. We got some great pieces that fell and they make an incredible noise. We were at the Holgate Glacier and it was pretty with the waterfall running beside it. They let everyone use their binoculars which are very nice and great for looking at all the birds. The ranger was very knowledgable and we learned alot. We were very impressed with this company. Use the Northern lights Entertainment Book and you can buy one and get one free. An even better experience for the price!

There are newer reviews for Renown Glacier Cruises & Tours

Reviewed May 17, 2009

First of all I live and work in Seward,AK. I have been on almost all of the cruises available from the 3 tour companies in Seward. I just wanted to say that if you expect a LUXURY, all out cruise maybe you should take a vacation on a real cruise ship. Renown does have the largest catamaran that goes out to the glacier and most of the captains employed have been doing this for many years. All the companies in Seward DO inform you that you always have options if it is a bad day for the seas. You can get a Full refund and not go, you can SWITCH to the shorter cruise and get the difference back or you can go on the tour and try to make it to the park, depending on the seas. If you were supposed to be switched to the bay cruise, the captain does not just decide that he is going to the glacier anyway. And I have always found all the crew and office employees friendly and helpful.

2  Thank sewardres
Reviewed September 23, 2008

We picked this tour because of the toursaver coupon and the fact that there is a ranger on board. We ended up doing the 6 hour tour hoping it wouldn't be too long. It was awesome! We saw the glacier calving like crazy and the rain stopped long enough for us to get some good shots too! As for wildlife, we saw dalls porpoises, puffins (!), humpback whales, orcas, otters, sea lions, and tons of birds. (I think that's all, I lost track!) Even Ranger Jim was surprised by how many animals we saw. (I'm a skeptical person, but I really do believe he was shocked by all the animals we saw, it didn't sound like a party line so the tourists would be happy.) We came in with low expectations for this cruise because the wildlife can't be predicted, but we were absolutely wowed by it! We also lucked out with the weather because even though it was raining, there were only 2 feet seas and no one got sick. This is a must do for anyone going to Seward.

3  Thank wmgirl00
Reviewed September 15, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed our 6 hour glacier cruise with Renown Tours. Capt Eric shared the "mic" with the National Park Ranger and gave us interesting personal info as well as info regarding the sights. We also use the Great Alaskan Tour Saver coupon and felt we got a great deal!

1  Thank Beau-Bailey
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We had a great time with Renown glacier cruise. We took 6 hrs. Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise in late August using Toursaver coupon book. We got lucky with good weather and lots of wild life. Also saw glacier calving and captain gave us enough time to watch. Staff was very helpful and they provided us with good vegeterian lunch. They also provided us with binoculers which really helped us to see more wild life. I will definatley recommend this tour.