Open today: 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Review Highlights
Very fun experience - would recommend

Reviewed 1 week ago
carrie9384
San Francisco, California
The way to be in nature, at it's best.

Reviewed September 19, 2018
Michelle K
Jerusalem, Israel

1,359 results
All reviews fox island resurrection bay bald eagles hour kayak trip lowell point tonsina point salmon spawning great trip awesome guide caines head short hike awesome experience small group rain gear holgate glacier recommend this trip great job
Reviewed 1 week ago

I went kayaking at Sunny Cove with my sister when we visited Alaska in June and it was a lot of fun. It was a bit difficult as there were some waves (we did the noon tour) and it took me a while to get the steering down. However, if you know how to swim, it is no problem at all because worst is you'll fall in. We also had two instructors/leaders go out with thee group and they made sure no one strayed from the group.

We took in some pretty cool scenery. My favorite part was when we stopped midway and was able to explore the area. One guide took us to a really scenic place as the other guide rotated the kayaks. We walked around, enjoyed the scenery, and took turns taking pictures. I think you can still get really great views without going out in a kayak, but the experience itself was just fun. It's not super adventurous (for those nervous), but there were times where I thought we were going to flip...so probably best if you know how to swim.

SewardSeaKayaking, Manager at Sunny Cove Sea Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you carrie9384!

I'm glad you had such a great time kayaking. It's pretty common for new kayakers to need a moment to nail down the steering with their feet. But, just like you, after hearing the instruction provided before we get into the kayaks, most people figure it out in just a few minutes.

I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed the pace, and the stop to explore on shore for a few minutes. We try to keep the pace comfortable for everyone in the group. Sometimes in the afternoons, we do experience onshore breezes, and often the morning tour is the calmest.

We do use very stable two-person kayaks, and while the movement may be a new feeling, it's super uncommon to tip over, especially if you follow the instructions provided by the guides. We provide personal flotation devices for each person, and knowing how to swim is not needed. Also, our guides go through weeks of extensive training and know how to help get to rare unintentional swimmer back into their kayak quickly.

Thank you for sharing your review with our TripAdvisor readers. We hope to kayak with you again!

Stephanie Millane
Operations Manager
info@sunnycove.com
907.224.4426

Reviewed September 19, 2018

We drove down from Anchorage just keeping under the speed limit, that was a test unto itself. "Sunny Cove" gave directions that are really easy to follow, get to the the end of the road at Seward turn right and follow the narrow path until you see the sign on your left for Sunny Cove. We had anticipated this adventure for 10 months when we first booked with them. It was drizzling with rain on our special day, overcast and not the day I had wanted weather wise. But when the smiling happy faces greeted us and we were warmly shown our new outfits, how to keep safe and what to expect during our 3 hour plus trip all hopes were hight for a fun time. We were in the kayaks in no time. Being pushed out into the sea was such a feeling of freedom, although we were in a kayak we were not on land and that meant a lot to me. With my son of 12 seated the front we started to paddle, at first not in sync then we got the rhythm, I never knew one could move at such a speed in a kayak. WOW, we sailed along the shore i=line viewing the rocks and trees and occasionally I looked back to gauge how far we had traveled. Quite a surprise when the little houses were not there anymore and it was just us, the kayaks and the sea. It was a light rain but by this time every drop that hit my face was saying this is the real fun, this is the adventure, you're dry inside the kayak and you are still having fun. I lost track of time after we turned towards the shore and aimed at speed to dock the thrill of getting my legs straight and the idea of exploring the rain forest took my imagination away. Those black rocks and sand that we walked on intrigued me, where have they come from, which mountain did they travel down from. We headed towards the forest deeper into shore walking along a stream. Then quiet naturally our wonderful guide pointed out int he shallow of the stream about 4-5 salmon hedging for the prime space over the dug out pit they had made whilst swimming against the current. IN A FLASH I mean a flash she released her fresh pinkish eggs and before you could say bagel with lox and cream he had released his white sperm right over where the eggs were. We had witnessed salmon spawning. Can you imagine coming all the way from Jerusalem Israel, via NY, Yosemite NP, Vancouver, Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, Anchorage and now Seward int he outskirts of the rainforest we saw this amazing event. Okay now the excitement was high, we carried on walking deeper into the forest, along a raised boardwalk so as not to damage anything. Different types of trees were painted out according to the bark formation and color, height of the tree and leaf shape. Unfortunately I don't remember the names and I didn't write them down, besides I was just too relaxed and at peace being in a rainforest. The smells were subtle, sometimes that familiar scent of must and mold...well not so familiar as I do cleanup my bathrooms regularly. The gentle rain continued and accompanied us throughout, I enjoyed it actually, it added to the atmosphere of being int he wild, not at all like the city rain. By the time we reached the end of the rain forest trip we were informed and that much wiser. I am honestly afraid to say I can't remember the names of the trees or much about that part of the trip I was just overwhelmed with it's natural beauty and tranquility, how calm I felt. The kayaking trip back was as much fun as the journey out, we even saw some dolphins, just relaxing in one area. We paddled close about 50m it was hard to really see what was going on but a thrill just the same. We weren't tried but he time we arrived back to shore, a most fantastic adventure. I could definitely do more kayaking, now I've been introduced to it. But to say I've kayaked in Alaska in Seward "Resurrection Bay" that't a memory for life. Go on have yourself an adventure Sunny Cove are waiting to help realize that dream.

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

From beginning to end this was easily one of the coolest experiences. The ferry ride is about 45 mins to fox island got to enjoy tons of gorgeous views and see lots of sea otters. When we arrived we had a delicious salmon, prime rib and crab leg buffet. We had about an hour after eating to check out the shore which is beautiful. The beach is covered with the most perfect skipping rocks/ pebbles. We got outfitted in our gear and had some instruction on how to efficiently paddle and maneuver our kayak. MK was one of our guides and she was top notch! You could tell she is passionate about what’s she’s doing - we had great conversation and she was super knowledgeable about the area and wildlife. We saw tons of diving birds, puffins, and a sea lion! Weather was almost perfect- just a bit cloudy in spots so we couldn’t see the peaks of the mountains but overall no complaints. The ferry ride back they provide you with freshly baked warm chocolate chip cookies! The absolute cherry on top of this sea kayaking excursion was seeing a small pod of orcas on our ride back to the dock. Our captain turned around so we could follow them for about 5 mins! Over all amazing excursions and I would Highly recommend this to everyone!

Reviewed September 12, 2018

The mountains were stunning even with slight cloud cover and the guides were wonderful. Saw eagles and salmon and heard a variety of bird calls.

Reviewed September 11, 2018

The Grand Day Wildlife Cruise & Glacier Kayak Tour was so worthwhile. Our party of 4 enjoyed every minute of it and counted ourselves lucky that we had such a clear day to enjoy this experience. The boat ride and personnel were entertaining and informing. The kayaking guide was as well. I would do this all over again in a heartbeat. Thanks Sunny Cove!

Reviewed September 10, 2018

As part of our honeymoon, we booked the all-day Caines Head Kayak & Hike combo and couldn't have been happier with the experience! Cara was our guide and we were the only people on the tour. We were able to make several stops that wouldn't have been possible with a larger group. The weather and views were absolutely perfect. Cara was so knowledgeable and fun to be with for the entire day. We would recommend this all-day adventure to anyone - it was easily our favorite day of the trip!

Reviewed September 10, 2018

I went on this trip with my 2 daughters and wife for the best kayaking trip in Seward AK. We last track of how many animals and mammals we saw. I wish we did the 3 day camping trip. Maybe for my 60th.

1  Thank curtis179
Reviewed September 9, 2018

Absolutely loved the kayaking trip. I did the half day one which was easy enough for most people. The guides were wonderfully friendly and well-informed, though they all had mustaches for some inexplicable reason. Highly recommended!

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed September 9, 2018

We had a fabulous time kayaking. A must do if you are traveling to Fox Island. The guide was informative and did a great job.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed September 8, 2018 via mobile

We took the boat out to kayak with the glaciers. It was a wonderful excursion and the staff were knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. Even though it was the most expensive thing we did on our trip, it was worth every penny!