“Perfect accommodation choice for Seward” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alaska's Point of View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Alaska's Point of View
Ranked #12 of 44 Seward B&B and Inns
Miranda, Australia
“Perfect accommodation choice for Seward”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I am glad we chose this place to stay as I am not a big fan of staying in hotels. This guest house made you feel like you were staying as a local. I liked the fact you could come and go as you please, cook your own meals and had a good location close to town. The thing I really liked was the special things that the host did to make you feel welcome, such as fruit, chocolate, popcorn and muffins. If I return to Seward, I would certainly consider this accommodation again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank zodiac6573

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I stayed in Debra's studio apartment for 3 nights. The room has a warm feel and I loved the stained glass windows. As a solo traveler, I never felt unsafe. There was a parking spot for me in front and it's an easy walk to downtown to eat or to visit the Sea Life Center and a short drive to the fjord tours' parking lots (I was able to use Debra's discount for my fjord tour and that was another bonus). The breakfast muffins were delicious and it was nice to have fresh fruit and juice, as someone who doesn't drink coffee. I accidentally left something at Debra's and she went out of her way to track me down to return it - this is above-and-beyond what a typical host would do - I certainly appreciated that! I would definitely stay here again the next time I come to Seward and I will also recommend it to my friends. Thanks again for an enjoyable stay in Seward!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bonfb11
Wilmington, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We took a 7 day Alaskan cruise which ended in Seward and stayed with Debra for 3 nights. Wow! She was so accommodating from picking us up at the cruise terminal, storing our son and his girlfriend's luggage for the day and then taking them to catch the train to Anchorage. Our room was spacious, clean and the bed was comfortable. When we asked if there was a laundry in Seward, she offered to do our laundry for a nominal fee. She provided coffee, orange juice, fruit and muffins each morning. Upon our departure, she took us to the bus station to head to Anchorage. Couldn't have asked for a better introduction to Alaskan hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NCTNGal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

From the location to the fireplace and the jacuzzi. The warmth of the room was just perfect. Wake up look outside the window to see the beautiful snowy mountains. Debra was a great host and was able to help us with all of our needs. We will definitely be staying here again can't wait till next time.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Medikak
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

I rented the Rosehips suite for 3 days while we were in Seward fishing and sightseeing. This is a large section of a guesthouse located in the residential section of Seward. It's within walking distance of downtown and a short car ride to the boat harbor.

This suite had a lot of room. Full kitchen, living room, and dining room along with two bedrooms. There was also a Murphy bed which we didn't use. There are two other suites in this house but only one was occupied while we were there.

We really liked the place. It's easy to spread out and relax. This is like a vacation rental so don't go in expecting maid service and such. It's clean when you get it and then you have your privacy till you leave.

Debra the manager stopped by the night we checked in and we had a nice chat. We asked for some bathroom soap which was provided the next morning while we were out. We were able to figure out how to use everything else pretty easily. I could have called if I had questions.

Like many of the homes I saw around Seward these are older and showing their age. But it was well kept and everything worked.

After the stay had another great chat with Debra in her home office while we settled the bill. She's very nice to talk to and hopefully our paths will cross again if we can get back to Seward.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank avman67
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Earlier this month my wife and I stayed in the Quonset Hut that Debra, who owns and operates Alaska's Point of View, has named "Moonshine". We were surprised by the comfortable living space inside and what a unique place to stay it was. We stayed for three nights. It had a full kitchen and even had a washer and dryer. We found it to be in a quiet neighborhood right in Seward with a beautiful view of the mountains in one direction and Resurrection Bay a few blocks in the other direction, with a beautiful view of the mountains beyond the bay. We found the bed to be very comfortable.
Debra even assisted us with discounted tickets for the Major Marine Fjord tour and the Ididaride Dog Sled tour. When we return to Alaska, we will make sure to contact Debra again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Darrel732
Nikiski, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

1. I am partial to staying in B&B's because I believe the place reflects on the owner/s. Therefore their is generally a great deal of quality and good service. Thus, I was totally astounded to find out that a hot breakfast (not even a cold breakfast) was not part of my stay. Needless to say, I've stayed in B&B's in Europe, Fairbanks, Alaska, Homer, Alaska, Anchorage, Alaska, Kenai, Alaska, and several in Seward, Alaska. There was always a breakfast, usually hot but sometimes not. The ad says that the kitchen is stocked with drinks, cereals, etc. The only "food" I saw was chocolates - which I gladly partook of. I found nothing of note to drink. I did find a note asking people to wash their own dishes and clean up their own messes. OK, it's a vacation and I'm sorry but I like to be waited on while on vacation.
2. My bathroom "adventure." I swear I'm telling the truth here! I took a long bath in the very small bathtub. Thankfully there was plenty of hot water. I went to open the door and it was STUCK. Yep! The door was stuck and I was trapped. That's because the Inn Keeper/s were not staying in the same place as I was. Well fortunately I had taken my cell phone into the bathroom with me but the phone number for reservations did not ring into the Inn Keepers ears after hours. I think she must turn it off after 9p. OK - I was really stuck. I contemplated calling 911 over in my head but the thought of being rescued in a towel would be too embarrassing (unless you can request only female rescuers!). My husband was to arrive from Kenai, Alaska about 11p so I decided to wait it out. When he got there I had him knock on the front and back door for help but no answer. That's how I found out that the Inn Keeper/s don't sleep in the same building.
I kept trying to figure out a number to call at that point and finally, I listened to the entire message and at the very end their was mention of a "home number to call in an emergency." She picked the phone up, came over and tried to help me but she was unable to get the door open. My husband finally got it open by pulling the door knob away from the door jam. He says the door knob needed replaced. I have to agree. I don't know what I would have done had my husband not made it. I could have tried breaking the door down but I really didn't want to destroy property and no doubt been charged an arm and a leg for the damage. I'm quite sure that the proprietor would never have believed my story. She did give me $5 or $10 off the price (basically waived the high bed tax in Seward).
3. I felt the bed was very comfy. The decor was exquisite. The decorator has good taste and there is definitely an Alaskan feel to the place. Their is also lovely view of the mountain ranges that surround the area.
4. I know that this may or may not seem strange but it deserves mention: The houses are extremely tight in that area of Seward. I've stayed in B&B's in Seward that were not tight, even in the city limits. MInd you, Seward is a super small city that is surrounded by mountains and the ocean. It's extremely enclosed but there are not many places in America as uniquely beautiful and special. That was not the real problem because there was ample room and you don't feel cramped at all in the location. But there was not a curtain or blind on the kitchen window. Lo and behold the home across the road has a small window that directly faces the kitchen window. Well, that is why I closed the bathroom door because it was dark outside (winter time) and I could not cover the kitchen window and the kitchen and the bathroom are basically connected. In other words, if I stood naked in the bathroom the people across the street would be able to see me through the kitchen window. I have very little doubt that the people over there have had some spectacular views and I'm not referring to the heavenly mountain views.
5. I think many people travel to Alaska and stay in B&B's to meet the locals and listen to stories that they could share and ask questions about the town and area(s). However, the B&B proprietor has very little contact with her guests. Don't expect a nice, warm, friendly person like Pat and Argon at the Spyglass Inn in Homer, Alaska (a 4 hour trip from Seward). They served us wine and told stories into the wee hours of the night. Me and my husband just loved them and their place. The breakfast that they cooked was delish. I wish every B&B would be like theirs.
6. Parking was a nightmare. We had to find a narrow back alley in the dark, it wasn't marked. Thank goodness I know Seward so well. I love it and visit there often. I'd move there if I thought my massage biz would do well in a city of 2-3 Thousand year 'round folks. I have plenty of Alaska driving experience but it was a miracle I didn't get stuck in the snow burns backing out. It is very, very tight and very little parking to be had.
7. Another thing that I found extremely odd was that when I called to reserve my room the person who took my reservation told me very firmly to "make sure I'm there by 9p." OK - I made it by 9p but again, I've never had that kind of "reception" or negative treatment even before I arrived.
8. Last but not least, I read the guest book and I was shocked that Deb, the owner and manager of the B&B wrote a comment that she did not want her guests "to post any negative comments in her guest book." I'm guessing she would have ripped the page/s out.
.. If you're in a pinch and need a place to stay this B&B offers year 'round lodging, which is easy enough to find in Seward at the Marina Hotel, Holiday Inn Express and Best Western (I love the BW). Her prices are reasonable too but not if you remember that she doesn't slave over a stove to serve you a nice breakfast, which to my knowledge should be an expected amenity at any Bed & BREAKFAST. .. Would you expect to get the breakfast without the BED? OK....'nough said.

Room Tip: In my opinion as long as the bed is comfy and there is running water and toilet facilities you don...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Alaskasview, Owner at Alaska's Point of View, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
We strive to make every guest's stay at Alaska's Point of View a memorable one and offering good customer service has always been a priority. I think we have succeeded in this as evidenced by the large amount of guests who return and stay at Alaska's Point of View. I quote you, "I felt the bed was very comfy. The décor was exquisite. The decorator has good taste and there is definitely an Alaskan feel to the place. Their is also lovely view of the mountain ranges that surround the area". Your description mimics what other guests have had to say; we offer a comfortable setting, great views, & privacy for our guests. Therefore, I was surprised to read your review because there are several inaccuracies, innuendos, and misconceptions that I would like to clear up.

Alaska's Point of View is not a Bed & Breakfast, nor has it ever been advertised as one during our 17 years in business. Alaska's Point of View offers a unique lodging experience in private suites. The particular suite you occupied during your stay is one of our most popular & requested suites. Your suite came with a bedroom with a queen bed, a very large private bathroom, a massage chair, electric fireplace, a living room with a view and a deck, a flat screen television with cable, internet access, and a fully furnished kitchen including a full size refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, pots/pans/dishes, and more. The entrance to your suite is private. I do live on the premises but have a separate entrance to my living quarters. This ensures privacy for my guests but also allows me to be responsive to any of their needs should something come up requiring my attention. The rate you were charged during your stay was more then 50% below our regular rate. My cell phone number, home phone number, and my office number are on my telephone recorder because I like to be available at all times in case of an emergency. We have a white board in the entry that lists our contact numbers should you need to reach us after hours. Each of our suites has our business cards prominently displayed with our contact numbers.

As to your bathroom "adventure" in the "very small bathtub", your bathtub was a standard size bathtub as found in most homes/hotels/places offering lodging. The bathroom is so big, there would be no need to put an undersize tub in it. As to your bathroom door sticking, we sincerely apologized to you and gave you an additional discount for your inconvenience. This door has never stuck like this before and we felt terrible. When something breaks or needs maintenance, we take care of it immediately. We take pride in offering our guests the best possible experience while visiting our area, whether it be in comfortable lodging accommodations, information on local activities, or dining opportunities. (Just for your information we found the door was tight due to the shifting of the ground.)

In response to #4 - Please note that someone put a picture on tripadvisor of the kitchen. In the picture they are standing in front of the bathroom door looking toward the kitchen. You are able only to see the tip of the house across the alleyway. It would be impossible for anyone to see anything through the kitchen window of your suite. The house across the alley is much lower & shorter then this suite, even if you were standing in front of the kitchen window, they would only see your head.

Seward experienced extreme winter conditions this winter as did several other cities around the state. Our road crews worked very hard this winter to try and keep up with the record breaking snowfall we experienced. All of my guests this winter have been very understanding of the extreme snow conditions and we have all worked around it. I apologized that the parking was "tight" but am glad as you stated you "have plenty of Alaska driving experience".

You objected to my request to please check-in by 9:00 pm. After checking with several other places of lodging, I find the majority have check-in times from 3:00 to 7:00 at the latest, unless prior arrangements are made. I get up early for my job and consequently go to bed usually by 9:00 or close to it. I did wanted to meet and greet you personally, show you your suite and be available to answer any questions you might have. I am sorry I could not entertain you at 9:00 that night when you arrived, but I do have to work in the morning at an early hour.

As for comments in the guest book, it is a place for my guests to sign and make comments, whether good or bad. Thankfully, up to this point, all have been positive. Our information book encourages guests to notify us regarding suggestions for improvements, any maintenance issues, and the like. We are always looking for ways to improve our services and appreciate any comments from our guests that would better our establishment. All suggestions are welcome.