“Good Food, but Not Worth the Price”

Chinooks Waterfront Restaurant
Ranked #11 of 49 Restaurants in Seward
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Chinooks is located right on Seward's waterfront. Serving a Fresh menu of Alasaka's best seafood. Also serving Steaks and options for vegetarians and gluten free options. A new Sushi bar has been placed upstairs near our huge picture windows to enjoy. We have 12 Alaskan brewed beers on tap with a full bar of premium hard to find spirits, and one of the best Scotch selections in Alaska. A worldly, yet well rounded wine selection is also available.
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I enjoyed the seared Halibut I ordered at Chinooks, but I definitely didn't think it was worth $33. It was dry and a little rubbery and the seasoning was a little bland. We spent $70 for our meal and all we ordered was halibut, rockfish and a dessert. I really wanted to love this place, but it was disappointing. If you have a lot of cash to spend and want decent seafood with a beautiful view of the marina, then go ahead and eat here. If you are looking for delicious food at a reasonable price, then go elsewhere.

1  Thank travelholic86
dbseward, Owner at Chinooks Waterfront Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thank you for Coming to Chinooks on your recent trip to Seward. We sincerely thank you for the review. We do hope you had a wonderful experience here in Alaska. I explained to another reviewer about our prices so I will Paste in my response to them: I will let you in on Restaurants and the way they price things. Your Halibut dish you ordered is fresh Halibut. It costs me currently $17/ pound. that means your 8 oz. piece is $8.50. the rest of the dish costs around $4. so that dish costs me $12. now the most common restaurant formula is to take that and times it by three, $36. The reason to do that is to pay for the building, insurance, my 45 staff, cleaning, land lease, equipment, etc. so by restaurant formula I am losing $3/ dish on the halibut Entree at our menu price of $33 And we are looking at restaurant formula where most places don't have the cost of living anywhere near what Alaska is. If you went from place to place and compared prices on a comparable dish we are still $2-$3 cheaper than everyone, and they probably do not go to the trouble to get it fresh. trust me its a much bigger effort to make that happen. I cannot lower my prices any more and stay in business. So if you want halibut.. its going to cost more. This is why we offer Rockfish ad Sablefish, and Pacific Cod as an alternative. If you ask locals they will say that they like that fish just as much if not more. Visitors only hear about Halibut so they tend to go that direction. We do appreciate your visit and hope you will return again soon. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed July 27, 2014

The restaurant doesn't accept reservations, so we had to call in person twice in order to reserve a table. Hostess was a bit rude but, maybe, she was just too stressed for the many clients present... The main room has huge windows looking the harbor and the surrounding mountains but the food doesn't match the view. Expensive prices and average service.

Thanks for Choosing Chinooks and for your recent visit to Alaska. We looked at your review and we are addressing our Hostess staff with what you mentioned. We do take reservations for parties of 6 or more. Our prices are actually lower than every restaurant in Seward with comparable dishes. I addressed prices and gave a full explanation on a few other reviews if you would like to know why our prices are what they are. We sincerely Thank you and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Chinooks is a must visit if traveling to Seward. A perfect place to visit after a day out on the water or to simply have a drink and watch what others have caught. Bartender Tim provides excellent service and great local knowledge.

2  Thank Talakz

Thank you for your recent vision to Seward and Chinooks. Tim is a great asset to Chinooks and we are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us. We hope to see you again and Sincerely Thank you.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had heard good things about Chinooks food, but had also heard it was a bit pricey. I'm very willing to pay for a good meal, so that didn't scare me in the least. Unfortunately, the food was average, at best, and the portions were modest. The halibut they served was overcooked and dry. My wife's salmon was slightly better but on the whole very unremarkable.

On the positive side: the service was good and the view of the harbor was nice. Never the less, we departed the restaurant feeling "ripped-off"!

In hind-site, we should have clued in to our taxi driver who had subtly hinted that Chinooks was
"a bit expensive, and food was OK".

1  Thank knotcrazy

Thank you for your recent visit and hope you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Alaska and especially Seward. I wanted to address what many of the reviews especially yours, about prices. I will let you in on Restaurants and the way they price things. Your Halibut dish you ordered is fresh Halibut. It costs me currently $17/ pound. that means your 8 oz. piece is $8.50. the rest of the dish costs around $4. so that dish costs me $12. now the most common restaurant formula is to take that and times it by three, $36. The reason to do that is to pay for the building, insurance, my 45 staff, cleaning, land lease, equipment, etc. so by restaurant formula I am losing $3/ dish on the halibut Entree at our menu price of $33 And we are looking at restaurant formula where most places don't have the cost of living anywhere near what Alaska is. If you went from place to place and compared prices on a comparable dish we are still $2-$3 cheaper than everyone, and the probably do not go to the trouble to get it fresh. trust me its a much bigger effort to make that happen. I cannot lower my prices any more and stay in business. So if you want halibut.. its going to cost more. This is why we offer Rockfish ad Sablefish, and Pacific Cod as an alternative. If you ask locals they will say that they like that fish just as much if not more. Visitors only hear about Halibut so they tend to go that direction. We do appreciate your visit and hope you will return again soon. Thank you.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Chinook's came highly recommended but didn't quite live up. It edged out 4 stars due to good bartending and good service overall. Food was okay-- the 'famous' mac and cheese with smoked scallops was way gluey. Order the smoked scallops plain, they are delish.