“beware of owner”

Ranked #16 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Seward
A TripAdvisor Member
“beware of owner”
Reviewed July 9, 2006

I booked this cabin twice before staying. The place was beautiful and clean but the owner has a bad habit of yelling/lecturing his customers. 1st occasion we were yelled at for crossing over the creek and talking too loudly at a bonfire pit. The second trip he yelled at us because my 6 year old son was playing and talking loud (kinda like they do) and he asked us toquite him down. Of course we agreed, and then he continued to yell at us. We asked around Seward and most people say he is a horrible business owner always yelling at his customers. We also read in his "rule" book a hand written not by another customer stating that if you park too close to the grass he will yell at you.

This was the biggest waste of $1000 I ever spent.

His cabins should be for retired couples with no children and who go to sleep around 9pm. I would have rather stayed in a bug infested "family friendly" hotel

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, LIKE THE OUTDOORS OR STAY UP TIL 11PM!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, owner at Box Canyon Cabins, responded to this review, July 17, 2006
I'm sorry this individual did not enjoy his stay. The "lectures" he mentioned were not lectures, but he was asked very nicley to keep his children from destroying the dam. He obviously took offence to this. On his second visit they were asked to quiet down the children from yelling outside at 11:30 PM while our guests in the other five cabins were trying to sleep. We had received complaints about the noise. Upon our investigation we found two adults sitting around the campfire ignoring the children's behavior. We asked them to have the children quiet down, other quests were trying to sleep.

We do promote family visits and enjoy their company. However, we can't let one family's late night activities ruin everyone else's visit.

As owners, we need to be considerate to all our guests.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
fort lauderdale, fl
Reviewed August 13, 2005

The cabin was cute and clean. The rate was reasonable. The male owner however freaked out that we had parked our vehicle on a small piece of grass/gravel. A sign was posted ten feet away indicating parking, but maybe we misunderstood. He got extremely angry and started ranting and acting very inappropriate for someone in the hospitality industry. He asked if we were stupid. It scared us slightly that someone would react almost violently over what normal people would consider a small thing. A simple "Could you please move your car from where we are attempting to grow grass over gravel?" would have sufficed. Even though we immediately agreed to move our car, the man kept at us asking what was wrong with us that we had parked there. His wife had to practically drag him away. It was a very strange and negative happening. If there had been any other places available to stay, we would have packed up and left. Perhaps the owner was upset that there was no power to the property (also resulting in no running water) and took it out on us. Perhaps he was upset that another cabin renter was alarmed by the mold and the smell of mold in her cabin. And yes, we had some too in our bathroom. Whatever is was, we will NEVER stay here again, nor will I suggest the Box Canyon Cabins to any of my clients. As a travel agent, I would not take the chance in subjecting my clients to this type of unprofessional behavior.

19 Thank travelmaid
, owner at Box Canyon Cabins, responded to this review, July 17, 2006
I remember this visit quit vividly. These guests parked their car completely off the gravel parking area on to our lawn. When asked to move, they said - "why everyone parks their car on the grass in Florida! And if you didn't want us to park on the grass you need to post a sign stating this!"

A major power line as cut during thier stay. Most facilities outside of Seward are on well systems. When the power is out, we have not water. I went to everyone and explained the situation. I can not control when the power will be turned back on. We were then threatened by this group that if we did not provide water soon, they would report us to the department of health. Nothing I could say or dow would make them happy.

Upon their departure they left two expensive shirts in the cabin. I had them cleaned and mailed to them at their home in Florida. I never heard anything back from them again until I read this posting.