“Beautiful”
Review of Box Canyon Cabins

Box Canyon Cabins
Ranked #17 of 45 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband, me ,my mother, sister and brother-in-law, and 13 year old niece stayed at Box Canyon Cabins for 3 nights. The place was beautiful and spotless. The cabin was well equipt with everything we needed, it even had cereal and pancake mix for breakfast. The owners were a little particular about things. They could come off as being a little unfriendly, but they really were very nice and definetly helpful with anything we needed. They even shared part of thier meal with us. I would not recommend this place if you are planning on doing a lot of partying, or if you have a bunch of kids, but if you are looking for a quiet place to stay this is it. We had a wonderful time there. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Goddesslily
There are newer reviews for Box Canyon Cabins

Reviewed July 28, 2009

Although we were in the wilds of Alaska, the owners have been busily working to make this place look like Florida. There were workers with music blaring painting a bridge, and all of the landscaping has been carefully altered to hide wilderness. We pulled in and a woman ran over to tell us where to park. She immediately scowled at our children. One child was scolded for walking on the grass (no sign, and adults were not scolded for the same behavior) These people definitely don't like kids and made it very clear to us the entire time we were there. They were rude to us and extremely rude to the children. We couldn't wait to leave. If you want a cabin in Alaska, look for something else. There are many better options available.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank skarloey
Reviewed July 17, 2009

After staying here I came to Trip Advisor to see what customer reviews had to say about these rude and unpleasant owners. After reading so many I am glad to see that it is not just us that experienced the "What do you want" greating upon first arrival and continued abrasive behavior. After reading the owner responses, I really wonder that they do not see that they need to correct their behavior or change their business to one requiring no interaction with other humans.

The cabins are very pretty, look like new, and all the physical attributes of the business are great; but the attitude...ughhh.

All I can say is, if you are considering staying at these beautiful cabins, just say no to the ugly behavior and attitude of the owners.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
9  Thank Floydman_9
Reviewed June 18, 2009

This was a delightful place to stay from the moment of arrival. The cabins are spotless and very well equipped. There is much work going on in the garden but already has 2 fire pits, a BBQ, a pond and stream and all surrounded by beatiful flowers and trees. The fire pit was a great focal point for those that wish to join in with a few drinks around a fire in the evening - enlivened by the occasional moose popping in to see what was going on. We as a family have travelled extensively in the US and stayed in all manner of hotels, B&Bs etc but this is without doubt our favourite - a wonderful experience and one we would recommend to anyone most strongly.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Nebraskanbrits
Reviewed December 19, 2008

I grew up in Alaska, had since moved away, and came back for a friend's wedding. I took my boyfriend, sister, and her fiance on a Kenai Fjords trip and stayed that night at Box Canyon Cabins. The female owner had stated that she'd be out of town when we arrived, but told us where the key would be stashed, etc.

We got in with no problems and found what appeared to be a fairly clean two-bedroom cabin. Having been out on the water all day, we were starving, so we made ourselves dinner in the kitchenette. Before doing so, however, we all wanted a shower to warm up.

My boyfriend, being the chef, was the first to shower. Imagine his vast surprise when he discovered approximately a DOZEN daddy-long-legs spiders (I think we counted 13-14) on the INSIDE of the shower curtain. My sister and I, both being Alaska girls and priding ourselves on our independence, rounded up as many of the creepy-crawlies as we could and hustled them outdoors.

I wound up having to take a Benedryl that night, so slept soundly. My sister and her fiance, on the other hand, were both woken repeatedly during the night by crawling sensations on their faces and arms. My boyfriend did not sleep well either, also due to crawly sensations. I do remember waking to use the restroom in the middle of the night and seeing that the spiders had already begun their re-invasion; things were certainly no better the next morning.

Again, we all shrugged it off, stated that we'd call the proprieter, and let it go. We had to leave early to catch our shuttle back to Anchorage and spent the rest of the day traveling.

The next day, I called the proprieter to let him know about his spider infestation. He was hostile, standoffish, and insulting. He wanted to know why we hadn't called the office immediately (um, because we didn't think it was /that/ big a deal and that we could take care of it ourselves; besides, we'd thought the proprieter was out of town & hadn't realized that there were two of them) and insinuated some nasty things about why we hadn't called the next morning (um, because we were traveling all day?).

When I asked for a refund (I asked for at least half, seeing as how on one hand, most of us hadn't slept well, but on the other we /had/ stayed there), he was very resistant and incredibly rude. As both my boyfriend and I work in hospitality/customer service industries, we were both blown away by his attitude. He grudgingly offered us a whopping $20 back on our bill--but did so with a lot of snide comments. Even a threat of reporting him to the BBB did little to sway him.

I will never stay there again, nor would I recommend this place to anyone else. The original arrangements went well and easily, but his rudeness and utter nastiness were a total deal-breaker. NO THANKS!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
9  Thank Valkyrie_AK
Avet, owner at Box Canyon Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2009

We were very sorry to hear that this group had a problem with spiders. However we were not notified during their stay so we could take appropriate action for them. After we were called, we investiaged the situation and did not come across any spiders. Our cabins are in the woods and sometimes clients leave the door open. Insects do travel to warm places. We are sorry this was such a bad expeirence for our guests and did offer a refund to them.

The experience was compounded for them because their next stop ended one of their members in the hospital.

We were not rude to these guests however the call from the hospita to us when they were experencing additional stress may have not been the best time to discuss spiders.

Reviewed September 9, 2008

Although I was unsure what to expect after reading the reviews, I still booked the cabins as I needed access to kitchen and wanted a cabin, which would sleep 4 people. This work out great. The owners have a special system regarding keys/access to cabins as a result of which there was no need for any "check-in" and in fact we did not even meet the owners. We did not seek them out either and they did not come to see us, which was fine. The cabin (Wolf''s Den) is really nice, has 2 beadrooms, a small living room-dining room-kitchen and bathroom. There is complimentary coffee and tea. Everything seems to be preety new and is clean and neat. The only rule I saw being posted was about washing dishes, which I consider a standard. The cabins look over a nice small pond an trees and the whole area is really quiet and serene. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Olraku
Reviewed August 24, 2008

Pay but don't stay is exactly what the owners would like and what we did. I was vacationing with my wife and daughter, and another family of three. Our daughters are 2 and 6 and they got along famously. The day before we were booked to check in to Box Canyon Cabins ( BCC), we decided to drive by to show the location to the one adult who would be baby sitting our two children while the rest of us were fishing (had a great outing). She would be checking in alone and we thought it best for her to know the location and we would ask about the possibility of an early check in. The owner "Cliff" saw us drive up and in a very surly attitude asked "what do you want". I let him know that we were going to be his "guests" the next day and explained the situation and asked about any flexibility for check in time. I was sure that once he identified us as future guests he would be cordial to us. His response was that "this is not a hotel and it takes a long time to clean these cabins. They are like houses. CHECK IN TIME IS AT 4:00!!!" His voice and mannerisms were that of a scolding headmaster. We all piled into our mini vans and left. We hoped that this guy was the deranged garden hand and that we would not have to deal with him in the future. I may never ask for an early check in again in my life. This was our first encounter.

Our fishing trip and the subsequent weighing, photos and filleting of our catch had us arriving at the cabin at 9:30pm. The person who checked in at 4:01 immediately said that we may have a problem. She said that our cabin (for both families) was under the headmaster's residence and that she can hear every word they say. Our kids were excited to see us all return and were running around the cabin. My daughter (2yo) got up on the bed and was jumping on it. Cliff came down the stairs to complain about the noise and saw my daughter jumping on the bed. He yelled at us about the noise and about my daughter jumping on the bed. He said the these are new beds and that he paid a lot of money for them. He went on and on. I am not much for being yelled at and I told him that my daughter would not jump on the bed any more. He started going on about us not being able to control our kids. I got in his face and stated again that my daughter would no longer jump on the bed and ARE WE DONE HERE? He didn't like that and said that we should leave. My friends took over from here because at now nearing 10:00 at night, we had no place to go. In the morning I was the first one up and went into town to search for accommodations if they were needed. The first place I went to had several rooms available. I shyly told him my story but I was nervous to be judged as a trouble maker. He said that he was reviewing tripadvisor and he had read about Box Canyon Cabins. He gave me a printout. Wow was I enlightened. I will never go anywhere without checking tripadvisor in the future.

I returned to my friends and we all read the horrible reviews. We planned our strategy and that was to tell Cliff that he was right, we should go as he asked. He said fine but he will not refund our money. A brief yelling match escalated but we left and checked out before 10:00am. We really appreciated our next cabin and especially the cordial host. Seward is great!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
11  Thank Fairweatherwanderer

Our check in time, like other establishments in Seward, is 4 PM. During the time when our guests are out for the day we are busy cleaning and doing maintenance. We understand that our guests are anxious to check in, however we take pride in the cleanliness and condition of our cabins and property.

This guest had no respect for others property and when we observed their small children jumping from bed to bed, we were concerned that they could fall and hit their head on one of the logs or night stands in the room. We asked politely to have their children to stop jumping and we were told that "they could not tell their children no and that they were on vacation and would not tell them no." This gentlemen tried to evoke a physical response which we would not participate in.

The next morning he knocked on our door and tried to force his way in our cabin. He told us they would be leaving and when we closed the door he kicked our door and damaged it.

We are glad they found another place to stay that they enjoyed.