“Wish we could have stayed longer!”
Review of Box Canyon Cabins

Box Canyon Cabins
Ranked #17 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We stayed at the Box Canyon Cabins for 1 nite while in the Seward area. What a beautiful place! There were 10 of us traveling together so we had 6 people staying in the Moose Cabin (the downstairs of a large house) and 4 of us in the Bear's Den cabin. Both buildings were immaculate and the beds very comfortable. The nite we stayed it was raining so we weren't able to enjoy the lovely setting outdoors or have a campfire. Wish we had stayed here for the 2 nites we were in Seward.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank krish2

Reviewed August 2, 2011

We had the Eagle's nest cabin which was excellent except we had nowhere to sit outside our door. The garden had seats and all the other cabins have seating to sit outside. Well equiped kitchen was great and the bed was lovelt and comfortable.
Would definately recommend Box Canyon Cabin as an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lizzie0909
Reviewed April 11, 2011

we have traveled to seward several times ,some accommodations are noisy and smell not as well as a travler would expect. Not the case at the BOX CANYON CABINS this is the place to stay . Cabins in the woods clean with a home feeling,not far off the beatin trail , 10 min .to downtown . Visting Alaska ? do you really consider a chain hotel ? dont !

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank travleralaska
Reviewed September 25, 2010

I wish I had read Trip Advisor before staying here. Whilst the cabins are very nice and the location is beautiful, the attitude of the caretakers and the owners leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, if they don't want people using their facilities, I'm not sure why they rent them out in the first place.
We traveled with a group of friends for the 4th of July weekend, hoping to spend a nice weekend together relaxing around an open fire. Well, don't use the fire pits at these cabins as it appears they are not fire proof. According to the caretakers, our fire was too big, but they did not ask us to put the fire out or provide any other suggestions. Instead, they hovered around all evening making us feel completely unwelcome, as though we were intruding on their private home.
The next morning, the caretakers told us that our large fire had cracked the fire pit, and that the marshmallows we had roasted had stained the pit as well. At no time did they tell us that we could not roast marshmallows, but over the course of the evening they kept telling us how much the owners had spent on the landscaping.
They then charged our credit card, which we had used to pay for the cabins, for an additional $600 to replace 3 cracked bricks in the fire pit and to remove a couple of marshmallow stains. This amount was ridiculous in light of the actual alleged damage.
All in all, this visit was a disappointment to us and left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
8  Thank AKAdventurer
boxcyn, Owner at Box Canyon Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

This review is not accurate. This group of nine stayed at our cabins July 4th. They were drunk and disorderly, and disturbed other guests. In fact, the other guests apologized to the caretakers for this groups’ behavior and the disrespectful way they addressed them. We have statements from other guests that directly dispute this group’s allegations.
This group made the campfire into a bon fire with flames over six feet tall. Instead of using the pre-cut firewood that we supply, they used a 6-foot log from the woods. It did not fit in the fire pit; they laid it across the top. The caretakers on three different occasions told them to either take the log off or put the fire out - that this fire was going to cause damage. The group refused. The fire got so hot; it cracked half of the fire ring top and broke four blocks along the side walls. The fire even melted the glass beer bottles they threw in the fire. In addition, they set off illegal fireworks in the fire pit. The campfire rings are fireproof, not bonfire proof. The combination of the excessive heat and fireworks caused the damage.
This is a custom built stone campfire ring.
The company traveled over 250 miles with their construction equipment and materials to do repairs. Over half of the campfire ring had to be dismantled and repaired. At no time did ‘marshmallow’ stains become an issue.
The morning after the fire, the caretakers showed the group the damage. Once the quote came in, the owners informed the group the cost to do the repairs ($582). The person who made the reservation attempted to blackmail us stating that we either take $150 for the repairs or they would post bad reviews on the internet. Obviously we did not bend to their threats. This is the second negative review they have posted.
Box Canyon Cabins takes pride in their property and wants their guests to have a good time. It is sad when a group of guests become drunk and disorderly and ruin everyone else’s visit.

Reviewed August 29, 2010

I will admit that when I got my confirmation letters. one with the confirmation of my reservation and then an additional one with the code to the cabin they weren't correct. One had a different couple's name and a different check in date on the other. Of course I called and confirmed and I was put down for the right cabin and date under my name so I wasn't worried. People make mistakes and I understand. When I'd called I'm not sure who I spoke with but it was a woman and she was friendly and helpful.

We asked to split our bill between myself and my boyfriend and they did this smoothly with no problem!

The cabins were super easy to find and I loved the landscaping, although typical Seward rain hindered us from enjoying it.

We'd arrived in Seward early and went into town to walk around downtown and have some lunch. My boyfriend called about 2pm and asked if we could check in early and after listening to the male owner (I'm assuming Cliff) yelling across the room at a woman (assuming Barb) several times asking if our cabin was clean we got the okay to go ahead and check-in. This was great because we couldn't do much due to the rain and it was nice to get inside. The cabin we stayed in is the Eagle's Nest and it's like an efficiency with a nice sized bathroom!

It smelt freshly cleaned and I have no complaints over the cabin itself. I think it was attached to another cabin which I didn't know as we heard a lot of noise from the neighbors. I don't blame BCC for this though because some people are inconsiderate, and besides the noisy neighbors we had a good time. We had Dish Network TV to watch for awhile before heading out for dinner.

I love the fact that they have pancake mix available besides just the normal teas/coffees. They had that too, but the pancake mix was really a cool idea. They also had oatmeal and cherrios available. It was nice to wake up too...though I'm not sure if it was an extra charge...guess I'll find out if it was on my CC bill :P

I think total it was about $160 a night which is a bit high as I was hoping from privacy (hotel rooms = neighbors = noise) and didn't realize we were attached so that was a bummer.

Checkout is at 10am which I didn't know either until I looked in the nightstand drawer so we quickly gathered our things to get out! I'd assumed it was at 11am.

Overall the experience was a nice one, a bit high priced but that's pretty much my only complaint. I never met the owners in person so I don't have anything to say about that.

OH and the pond/landscaped area had a grill and fire pit. This would be SUCH A cute location for a small wedding :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank perdantasterx
Reviewed July 25, 2010

The owners should not be in the hospitality industry. I wish we'd taken more time to read all of the negative reviews before we chose Box Canyon Cabins -- they paint a very accurate picture of the very difficult owners. The grounds are pretty. The cabins are so-so on the inside. Save your money and reduce the stress-level of your vacation -- stay elsewhere!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank trvlbugger529

This is another review from the group that caused damage during their July 4th stay. Review is not actual, Owners were not in state during this time and never met this group.

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Absolutely the best cabin I have ever stayed in. It was extremely clean and quiet. After coming back from a long day of sightseeing it was the best benefit to be able to sit outside and relax around the campfire.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family