“I felt like I was at home!”
Review of A Swan Nest Inn

A Swan Nest Inn
Ranked #32 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Houston, TX USA
“I felt like I was at home!”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

A great find in downtown historic Seward. Somehow it was spared by the Good Friday, 1964 earthquake that lowered Seward 7 ft! It has 8 rooms, 2 sitting areas, and a fully-equipped kitchen for the quests to cook whatever they wish. Beautiful views of the surrounding mountains.
Heather, the manager, was very helpful, informative, and knowledgable about the area and it's activities.
Every morning a fresh breakfast was ready, including eggs, fruit, fresh-baked breads, and freshly ground coffee. What a feast! A DEFINATE STOP FOR ME AGAIN WHEN I VISIT SEWARD.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 9, 2010

We enjoyed our stay two years ago and enjoyed it again this time. The building has many interesting touches and the location is excellent. There is free wireless internet and the rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at A Swan Nest Inn and absolutly loved it! Fresh breakfast every morning, stories from real Alaskan grown locals, and a room that was not only cozy but unique and quaint to stay in.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Quick pros: great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants, Sealife Center. Friendly and helpful staff, tasty breakfast, extra blanket/pillow/amenities easily available. SCRUPULOUSLY clean. Nice common area for breakfast, evening activities.

Quick cons: smallish rooms, lofts involve a ladder climb and some crawling, no handicap access, not good for anyone with dog allergies, rooms off common area would be loud for late risers.

Details: We were the only guests during an off-peak time, and we found our stay very enjoyable! One thing to keep in mind is that this is more a B&B than a hotel.

- The staff were all very helpful and friendly. They did everything from chatting with us at breakfast to checking on the weather for our boat tour to helping one of our party find a hairdresser in town.

- The bedrooms and common rooms were incredibly clean. Most spotless place I've ever been in.

- This was, as the owner Tom said, a "guy's B&B": if you needed extra blankets/pillows/etc, they were available by the common area. If you wanted some of the tea out in the common area, you made it. If you needed help/area advice/something more, you ASKED, and they were more than happy to provide.

- The rooms were lockable and you kept your key. The outer door was left unlocked so that guests could come and go as they needed.

- The owner and manager both had dogs that often came to visit in the common areas (not the rooms). If you've got dog allergies, this probably will be a problem for you.

- The Inn is not handicap accessible: you have to climb outside stairs to get to it. Tom did say that he's planning on putting an elevator in, but that's in the further future. Likewise, beds in the lofts have to be reached by climbing 4-5 rungs up a ladder attached to the wall. The lofts are not tall enough to stand in, so you crawl a few feet to the mattresses. If you're not physically capable of any of this, another B&B would be better.

- They will not come clean the rooms during the day. Personally, I found this nice, as I don't like folks bothering the room while I'm away.

- We stayed in one of the Bay View rooms, and once you looked out over the surrounding houses, the views out of the bedroom and the south lounge were lovely.

- The room was smaller than anticipated: a bit of a tight fit for more than two people and their luggage. For us, the room was just for sleeping in, and we spent any other time we were there in the sunny and pleasant south breakfast room.

- Breakfast was coffee, juice, fruit, and fresh-baked scones/bread. Plenty for us. The bread was so tasty I asked for the recipe before we left. A full breakfast with eggs/etc. was available for $5 more, which would have been a steal, if we'd taken advantage of it (eating out in Seward is VERY expensive).

- The inn was extremely close to the downtown stretch of gift shops and restaurants, a few blocks from a post office, and there was a quirky and fun coffeehouse a few blocks over.

- A few of the rooms (possibly both the Bay View rooms with the best views) open out into the south common room. As the common room has wooden floors, sound bounces and carries a lot, and the rooms would get loud once others were up and talking in the common room. However, the quiet hours are clearly posted (11pm-7am) and just need to be kept in mind. Otherwise, I suggest some good earplugs.

Overall, we got a great rate in this pricey town, and if you're willing to accept the Inn's quirks (and really, what place doesn't have some?), it's a cozy and friendly place to lay your head!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank N0tL0stJustWandering
New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We stayed here for one night. Rented two rooms. My friend with her daughter in one room. Myself and my three teenagers in another. Both rooms had a "loft", in which my friend's daughter (aged 14) refused to sleep. I paid a higher rate for my room because of the "view", which turned out to be a small window. To say that the the room was small is an understatement: we could not all stand in the room, we could not open our suitcases, we had to step out and wait for each other, because there was no space to get dressed. The "loft" was so tiny, my teenagers had to crawl in it to get to their beds, and were hitting their heads on the way up and down. The common area was run-down and felt unclean. The breakfast was simple - coffee and banana bread, which by itself would have been fine if all else was good. The hosts were pleasant, but we got the feeling that they would rather be somewhere else, and be doing something else. This was not a good value for the money, and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank NJbananasoft
Las Vegas
Reviewed September 5, 2009

My husband and I spent several nights at A Swan Nest Inn and give it VERY high ratings. Nick and Arianna were extremely pleasant, knowledgeable and accommodating. They even stored our luggage while we were on a kayaking adventure AND willingly washed stinky camp clothes. Breakfast can be light or heavy depending on what you are in the mood for, and the blueberry sourdough pancakes are wonderful. The rooms are small but we had no intention of staying in them for long (why would you on vacation?). They were big enough to sleep and had all amenities you needed. The view from the B and B is relaxing and a wonderful place to enjoy a glass of wine while the sun goes down. We have already decided that we will return there next summer! (plus they have a really wonderful dog there also in case you are missing your furry friend from home, :-) )

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
seattle
Reviewed August 23, 2009

loved this little B&B. The hosts were helpful and friendly. They made an amazing breakfast. We were comfortable-my friend said it was the most comfortable bed she'd had in Alaska. Lovely little spot!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends