“Very disappointed”

Ranked #33 of 44 Seward B&B and Inns
Spring Grove, Illinois
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2008

In May I called the owner of this B & B to get some idea of the accomodations. He advised we take the more expensive room because it had a better view. The room was not worth the extra money. It was right off the kitchen where every one went for "breakfast" . Every morning we were awakened by the owner or chef starting coffee and setting up bread which happened about 5AM.
I had also discussed with Tom (in May) that my husband could not eat sweet breads and items with sugar in them. I was assured at that time by Tom that they would provide other items. We were told ahead of time that for $5 we could have a complete breakfast. In fact, the only thing we were provided was breads with fruit and fresh fruit. Many days the bread was left over from the day before. We did order full breakfast a couple of days and it was just average.
I also felt the owners were less than welcoming. When we arrived we hauled our bags up two flights of stairs and no one was there to greet us. We had to go looking for someone so we could check in. After checking in we went out exploring the town. When we returned in the early evening, Tom, the owner was sitting in the common area in sweats and watching TV. He never introduced himself or asked who we were. When one of the other guests asked for a favor, he very grudingly got up to help but also mentioned this was his day off.
Perhaps my idea of a B & B is a little more luxury, however, this was far below even modest standards.
Also, for those who are not real active, 3 days in Seward is more than enough time to visit. The one activity that is a must is the Fjords National Park Cruise. We took the 9 hour tour and it was fantastic.
As mentioned in previous reviews, the lofts are very difficult to use and the rooms are very small. Also, they do not replace towels or sheets the whole time you are there.
If you decide to use this facility, make certain you do not get the room off the kitchen unless you are a really heavy sleeper. That is my one big warning.

• Liked — Actually, there wasn't much I did like
  • Disliked — Location of our room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carole517

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

Stayed at Swans Nest in July, great location in town and nice people. The room was very small and the bedhead and foot was made of natural wooden burl, very attractive but not practical in a small room as one easily bumped and bruised oneself when walking by. We had a queen size bed with an additional bed in the loft but the ladder to the loft was almost too difficult to climb, it sat straight against the wall. Of course I realise when booking historic lodges the rooms will always be small but perhaps these bedheads and ends are not really suited to these rooms.
There was a nice comfy lounge, dining and kitchen area for use of guests.

Breakfast was just banana bread loaf or other assorted cakes with coffee/tea/orange juice and some fruit. I don't know whether one could have asked for other choices as this information didn't seem to be readily forthcoming, cereal would have been a nice addition. The rooms weren't serviced for the three days we were there but there was a note in the room to say we could ask for extra towels or help ourselves.

There were a lot of stairs to the main residence so this wouldn't be suitable for people who can't manage stairs.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
los angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

I stayed at A Swan's Nest the first week of August, 2008. It was nicely kept and centrally located, and the owner fixed us up with a great glacier cruise, on which we saw puffins, a humpback whale, bald eagles on their nest, etc.

However, it took 2 days for the room to warm up from 62 degrees to 68 degrees. Also, I got bruises from a footboard on the bed that had tree branches sticking out of it. When I pointed these problems out the owner, he acted like he couldn't care less. I had those bruises to remember the visit by for a week afterward.

Also, the room was tiny, and the ladder to the upstairs loft was very slippery and dangerous.

So, a nice enough place to stay, overall, but some negatives....

Stayed August 2008
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

We loved our time at A Swan Nest Inn. The family who owns it is very friendly and accomodating. The best part is, they'll let you upgrade their continental breakfast to a full, hot, homemade breakfast for $5! Their sourdough pancakes are a great way to start the day.

The rooms aren't huge, but they're extremely clean and full of character. Kids will love climbing up to the lofts. The location is great, right in downtown Seward. The view is spectacular.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — Late check-in
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2008

We stayed in this B&B for three nights. The owner, Tom, was very accommodating. The room is cozy, clean and quite in Alaskan style. We particularly like the loft. We also got good discount through Tom when he booked the boat tour to the Kenai Fjord NP.

Recommend this B&B to anyone as long as you look for a clean, quiet and friendly place to stay with reasonable price. It is not an upscale place but comfortable. It is also conveniently located in the downtown area, just 20 minute walk to the harbor.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Columbus OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2008

I love that most travelers reviewing here can still enjoy an Inn for its "soul" as opposed to just amenities. As Inn's go this one is a bit quirky but a very comfortable place to stay while in Seward. I did not see another spot in town I'd choose over this one. Meet the family, and Kia the dog and Ariana (?) and learn about the local lifestyle. You'll enjoy your stay and be comfortable in Seward.

• Liked — Location and hosts
  • Disliked — Some noise through thin walls
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Plan4it
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2007

My boyfriend and I came to this B &B in May 07. We did our homework and it paid off. . this was a great spot to stay. Clean, great breakfast (try the blueberry pancakes) and Tom, the owner is awesome.
The highlight of our trip was a hike up Mt. Marathon. It was probably the most difficult hike I have ever tried. We really lucked out because we bumped into Tom who helped us down the mountain. It was a blast, but without Tom there was a good chance that I may have had a broken bone by the time I got to the bottom.
It's a great place to stay and I'm hoping to go back soon!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple