“Alaska Saltwater Lodge vs Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay”

Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay, LLC
Ranked #5 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed in Angles Rest and also Salt water lodge this past month. My husband and I are simple people so we do not need the flash of allot of hotels/motels or lodges. The 2 places are two different styles of lodging. If you want a great view and a place to put your head down for the night stay at Angles Rest but fair warning you are paying for the view. Basically a 1 room fishing cabin with nice cedar furnishings and beautiful outdoor flowers. It is handicap assessable but I find it hard press to be able to maneuver a chair or crutches in this room. The brochure does not completely give the full effect of the accommodations. I will not stay there again. Saltwater lodge is great if you have family, it comes with a complete kitchen, clean, all the amenities of home. and wonderful host...plus the same fantastic view, only a few doors down from Angles Rest and basically the same price. They do have different rooms available to accommodate the size of family or group. The big drawback here is on the lower level your windows open up to a great view of the mountains and bay but the deck is a public deck for the other people staying at the lodge. They can see right into your front room of the accommodations... but we are planning a return trip and we will stay at Saltwater Lodge.

1  Thank DBeach12345
AngelsRest, Manager at Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay, LLC, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2010

There are two VERY IMPORTANT CORRECTIONS that must be made in response to this review. First, THIS IS NOT A FISHING CABIN or lodging! Second, the Gatehouse Cabin is completely handicap accessible, designed to ADA standards. We've had a number of handicapped and wheelchair bound guests stay here and complement us on the arrangement, design and layout. (Why someone who knows nothing about being handicap would even speak about this in a review we have no idea!) Please, if you’re looking for a fish camp, choose a different property, because that is NOT what we are about in any way, shape or form.

There are newer reviews for Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay, LLC

Reviewed August 16, 2010

This place is like a dream to stay at. It totally met my expectations and much more. We stayed in the Wood Nest view room the first night and the view is amazing. It was very spacious and had everything we needed. It was like home away from home except with a spectacular view. They have two very comfortable chairs to sit and just relax and enjoy the view. The bed was very comfortable although it was so military tucked that my husband ripped the sheets when he tried to pull them. That's not a complaint. The second night we stayed in the Cloud 9 and that place is awesome. It's a lot smaller than the other room but the view is just as amazing and really neat to sit and watch the otters. They're so cute!! I literally fell asleep in the chair watching them. If I ever have the chance to stay in Seward again I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend anyone that ever tells me they're going to Seward to stay here.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

We spent two nights in " Heron View", which felt like a Heron's nest - so cozy and well thought out. The space is small but so cleverly designed that you don't realize it. Everything is where you need it. My husband would have liked a little more space for hanging clothes. But the location, the view and Lynda's friendliness and responsiveness made our stay a real pleasure.

Reviewed August 10, 2010

What a wonderful place to stay, nit just in Seward - but all of Alaska. My only complain is that we couldn't stay longer. I forgot to strip the bed to find out what brand of mattress they had - because it was THE MOST comfortable I have ever slept on - and I want one!!!! We stayed in Heron's View and the other first floor suite - back in the woods, but still had a great view of the water. Squeeky clean, great little kitchen area and loved the gliding chairs. My husband bought some fresh salmon from the docks and cooked up what our companions said was their best meal in Alaska using the grill provided. They also booked our fjord cruise (Alaska Saltwater - THE BEST!!!! and our fisihing trip with Kenai Float and FIsh). So - host are very helpful and accommodating. Anyone who complains about this place is truly not worth listening too!! Workmanship of the cabins/lodges was beautiful! I hope to get back their some day.. until then - thanks for the wonderful memories!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ceebeedee
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Great place to stay. We loved every minute of it - whether sun or rain. The view out the window was fantastic. The house as a whole had the feel of rustic-luxury.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed in the Gatehouse cottage. It overlooks the Resurrection Bay. Laying in bed, you have a magnificent view. The place is quiet and the cottage is very comfortable with a kitchenet. This is likely the best accommodation you may get in Seward.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlfredSwitzerland
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We have both been to Seward previously, but we didn't know about Lowell Point or Resurrection Bay. This place fit the bill perfectly for us.

Yes, you take a gravel road to get there, but the road is better than some on the ones I drive at home. I didn't think the road was a big deal at all. Yes, you pass some strange buildings which I assume are inhabited, complete with ticky tacky decor (such as discarded wood burning stoves under a tree) and "do not trespass" signs----but once you get to Angels Rest, you know you've found a memorable place to stay.

We stayed in the Heron's Loft and I was expecting it to be small and cramped. However, it was very spacious and had a tiny "cubbyhole" room with a nice lookout and bed. There was also a small kitchenette with a tiny fridge and microwave. The bed was very comfortable and I had several nights of a good sleep. There were also a lot of Alaska themed books and magazines in our room.

While I didn't personally do it, you can walk along the gravel road into Seward---maybe a couple miles away. The road goes right along the shoreline, and would probably make for a great walk or bicycle ride. There is also a rustic campstore in the area, and we spent a lot of time in the evening watching the fishing boats pull in the day's haul. HOLY COW--the fish were huge, and it was quite a spectacle watching the kids and the other out of towners get so excited about the size of the catch.

Seward's a great place to observe marine life as well as other animals. We could hear bald eagles the whole time we were there. This is just a fun place to stay, and a relief from the standard motels on the main drag. While I like trying new and different places, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple