“Enjoyable stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kissimmee, Florida
“Enjoyable stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Angels Rest near Seward. This location is very convenient to hiking and to town, however the road to get there is very bumpy. The property is very well kept and clean with a lot of attention to details. It was very quiet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Ann H
AngelsRest, Owner at Angels Rest on Resurrection Bay, LLC, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thanks so much Mary Ann! When the road is bumpy, it's a good excuse to look for wildlife ;) We see sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and eagles almost daily. We hope you had a chance to see some of these things on the way back and forth to town. Since the road from town to us is gravel, and although maintained very well, it can be bumpy if there's been a lot of rain; this past September was especially rainy. Thanks again, we're glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope you'll visit us again some day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Pembroke Pines, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

What a pleasant surprise to find Angel's Rest! We stayed for 2 nights and it just felt like home! Everything you need is there with many nice touches. We stayed in the Heron Loft Mini Suite and it was perfect for the 3 of us (my husband and I and our son). It is not right on the water, but because it is a second story unit, we still had nice views of the water. The grounds were nicely landscaped with potted flowers everywhere, and the unit itself was very very clean and bright!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank joymama
Los Altos Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Angel's Rest on Lowell Point just 2 miles south of Seward has got to be the best accommodation in the whole area. We stayed in the Gatehouse and loved it! The windows are right on the water. The cabin would be in the water at high tide if it was any closer to Resurrection Bay. Otters played, eagles landed and ravens entertained us right in front of the cabin. The cabin is small and beautifully maintained. It's super-clean, cozy, charming and private. Lynda set us up with Alaska Whale Watching Tours owned by Jim and Kathleen Barkley for a spectacular day viewing marine life. I highly recommend their small boat tours for a friendly and very successful viewing day. We had a wonderful time in Seward. The museum was fun!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wanderlust32654
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed in the Gatehouse cabin for five nights at Angel's Rest. It could not have been better. The cabin was warm and met all of our needs- the view was spectacular (first day sighting of a bald eagle and whale with calf, lots of sea otters), the kitchen facility very adequate, the bed comfortable, and the hospitality first rate. We would also recommend The Salmon Bake for dinner and Saltwater Boat Trips for the fijord trip as well as kayaking with Kayak Adventures.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Blue Springs, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I found Angel's Rest on tripadvisor. After reading the reviews, I was excited to book Cloud 9. My expectations were very high, and my husband and I weren't disappointed!!! The views from the waterfront cabin are amazing! The afternoon of our arrival, 7 sea otters were happily playing in the bay. We enjoyed breakfast each morning on the back deck and were treated to sightings of bald eagles and other wonderful wildlife. At night, we cooked a steak dinner on the grill and enjoyed eating it while sitting in the relaxing glider chairs watching the activity on the water...wildlife, sailboats, fishing boats, kayakers, etc.

As mentioned in other reviews, Lynda is amazingly organized and there is plenty of information available to tailor your trip to your interests. Lynda made reservations for us on the Alaska Saltwater Tour Whale Watching trip and had a copy of the receipt/information waiting for us in the cabin when we arrived. The tour was as spectacular as the website had mentioned. We saw humpback whales bubble feeding, 5 Orcas swimming together, Harbor seals, sea lions, bald eagles, puffins, etc. Lunch was eaten next to Holgate Glacier and we were impressed by its size and marveled at its calving.

About Cloud 9 itself: it has a perfect location, is clean with a comfortable bed, the glider chairs are a great spot to relax, chairs on the back deck, has necessary items to fix a meal, tray tables make eating in front of the window easy, nicely decorated, in summary; a great place to stay.

Angel's Rest was the highlight of our 11-day trip to Alaska. Every morning when I awake, it is one of the first thoughts I have. If we ever travel to Alaska again, this will be the first reservation that I make!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I lost my mother this year. Both of my parents had always dreamed about visiting Alaska, but they never got the chance before they passed away. This trip was a treat to myself after caring for my dying mother for 5 awful months. It was also a reaction to a lesson learned: you only live once. Check off those items on that bucket list! I tell you this, because my expectations for the trip were quite high. I want you to understand that.
I stayed in the Heron's Loft mini-suite with my husband. Of course, we had hoped for a waterfront cabin, but you gotta book those really early! That being said, the view from our suite was beautiful. The room was amazing. The owners, Lynda and Paul, have thought of EVERYTHING. Lynda is the queen of notes and helpful information. It makes me wonder if she has ever been an educator. You would be smart to read everything that she sends you via e-mail after your booking from tips on what to do to what to do before you arrive/when you arrive. You will also find binders in your room with info on dining out, tours, kayaking, hikes. It is all there. It amazes me that some on this website have complained about the notes. We found them to be super helpful and we thought that it was obvious that so much time, thought and care had gone into them. We saw Paul while we were there but did not see Lynda, as she was not feeling well. However, any texts to her with a little question (We did not need much help. Like I said, she has thought of everything.) were answered promptly.
The room: The bed was amazingly comfortable! Wow! We slept so well! The view was beautiful. The coffee was so good (We are picky about that.). We made a few meals in the microwave and seemed to have everything that we needed. You might not expect it, but they had wi-fi too! It worked well the entire time we were there - better than many nice hotels that I have stayed at.
What to do: We loved Saltwater Lodge Whale Watching, Wildlife & Glacier Tours as recommended by Lynda. It was the trip of a lifetime. We also did the Phillip's 21 Glacier Tour on the way down by stopping in Whittier. Also very fun. For a beautiful easy little walk, Two Lakes trail is great. We also hiked a little bit to Tonsina Point, which Lynda recommended in her literature. This was way to hard of a hike for me, as I have a neuro-muscular disease. The view is so amazing from Angel's Rest , it honestly was not worth it for me to try and make the hike. I should have sat out by the water at Angel's Rest instead. If you want to get some good exercise, this hike may be for you, but the view is certainly no better than from Angel's Rest! This was one of the things that we really liked about Angel's Rest. You do not have to be on the run to see the sights. Just walk outside! Of course, the sea-life center and Exit Glacier are must sees if you are in the area. On the way back from Seward, we did the tram up the Alyeska Mountain , which I would highly recommend. As for restaurants, our favorites while we were there were The Salmon Bake for dinner (I do not think they were open for lunch) and The Smoke Shack, where I had some amazing eggs benedict topped with crab cakes. Yum!
I hesitate to even write this review, as I would love for Angel's Rest to not become so popular as to never be available. But, what the heck. You might as well have as wonderful of a time as I did.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Angel's Rest had an absolute breathtaking view and was such a comfortable stay! I would recommend that anyone stay here for a remote getaway and perfect Alaska experiment. The owner's are great and go to great lengths to make sure guests are accomodated for a perfect stay. They provide a great deal of information that is very helpful and useful for the whole duration of a trip. If you are looking for a quiet, comfortable stay in a cozy log cabin, with a beautiful view and very reasonable rates, Angel's rest will definitely be more than you expected. We saw sea otters, sea lions, bald eagles and hump back whales from the back porch and kitchen window. It was a lovely, astonishing view from the comfort of the log cabin. Oh, another thing, if you intend on going hiking or fishing, this is the PERFECT spot. Hiking trails are in walking distance and there is a little shop and place called Miller's Landing where you can rent a boat at an extremely low rate to go sightseeing and fishing.

Room Tip: We stayed in the wing cabin and it was perfect, comfortable and very quiet. There is also free wi-f...