“Good, but not great”

Ranked #4 of 47 Restaurants in Seward
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Seward Alaska's only Brewhouse and Restaurant in the heart of downtown.
North Olmsted, Ohio
“Good, but not great”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

This place was very busy. We had to wait for a table. The place is set up strangely in that you cannot enjoy one of their beers at the bar whie you are waiting for a table. The food selections were OK. Kind of artsy fartsy, to be honest. The beer was decent, but not as good as some of the other craft breweries we visited in Alaska. I would rate it a solid B.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Randy D

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Try the Halibut. Then Leave.”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Upon arrival to Seward, we were excited to get our trip started with some good food and some local beer, and decided to give Seward Brewing Company a go. However, the waiter informed us they only had two of their eight beers on tap, and were out of everything else. I had the pale ale, which was a bit flat and no more impressive than any other microbrewery.

The food was also not up to expectations. Vegetarian options were somewhat slim and not filling. Most were disappointed with the food with one very big exception. The "Brewer's Salad" is a Halibut salad which was absolutely amazing. The halibut tasted fresh and was perfectly seared. It was the best dish I ate while in Alaska.

If going, get the Halibut salad (Brewer's Salad) but beer lovers will be left wanting.

1 Thank LostNotFound
Anchorage, Alaska
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Very nice looking place both in and out - service was great, very nice people work here. The beer was good and brewed locally; I would go back for the beer. Unfortunately the HUGH let down was the food, it was average to poor and overpriced for what you get. This establishment has so much potential and could be one of the top places in Seward, but they must redo the entire menu and the way they make it. I had Fish (Halibut) & Chips I could swear the halibut they serve is not fresh but frozen and manufactured. You have an abundance of FRESH seafood at your front door - utilize and people will come - look at Rays down the street!!!

1 Thank AK-reviewer
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Get the Pretzel!”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Seriously, their hot pretzel and the cheese dip haunts me. I love hot pretzels, this was the best one I've ever had. Our last day in Alaska we seriously contemplated driving the 3 hours just to have it one more time. We didn't. But we thought about it.

The rest of the food was also very good. I had a fantastic grilled cheese and a so-so bowl soup. My wife had their fish fry and rated it 4.5 out 5 stars. And our server was super friendly. We ate here after a 9 hour boat tour, and it was a great choice. Brew pubs are incredibly popular in Wisconsin, where I'm from, and this one made me feel right at home.

I don't know if I'll ever be back to Seward, but if I am, I will definitely be eating here again!

• Visited June 2014
New York City, New York
“Badly organized, poor service, food tried too hard”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Downtown Seward is a strange looking place. We tried really hard to find good food, and we really struggled. So when we saw the very cute looking Seward Brewing Company, we were very excited. Although we like good food, we also like good bar food, and we were excited to have a burger and a beer for dinner. We left our name with the hostess, and she said it would be about a 10 minute wait. We went to the bar, but we noticed several empty tables on the way. No matter, we ordered a beer at the bar and waited. And waited. And waited. After about 15 minutes, my husband, who is normally not pushy at all, asked the bartender for a menu. She was super nice and apologized, but she was the only bartender on duty and completely overwhelmed. She quickly helped us, but at that point I went to check back in with the hostess, because we had already been waiting for a table for 20 minutes. The hostess was in the middle of some sort of crisis with seating people, so I caught her eye and then went back to the bar. Finally, we just decided to order our food at the bar. Every item on the menu was precious and overdone somehow. It was like a hipster parody. I love good food, and I love unusual pairings, but this was overkill. When we got our dishes, we felt the same way. The salads were good, he had a kale cesar and I had the spinach salad, and both were good. The wings were way too complicated--they missed the mark--and it's pretty hard to mess up wings. The cheese fries came with lamb gravy, which was just too much on cheese fries. Lamb is one of my favorite meats, but its heavy, pungent taste really didn't make sense here. Anyway, I have rarely seen such bad front of house service at a restaurant--no one EVER came to seat us, and service was super slow. The food wasn't great, but it wasn't inedible. However, combined with the awful service, I wouldn't recommend this place. Again, all the servers were friendly, it was just incredibly disorganized. The hostess was obviously not very competent at her job (new?), and whoever the manager was wasn't doing her job either.