“Good but not great”

$440.00*
60 Minute Scenic Flight over Kenai Fjords and Chugach National Forest
Ranked #13 of 53 Tours in Seward
More attraction details
Owner description: We are two mushers - Travis Beals & Sarah Stokey - who share a passion for dog sledding, the Iditarod sled dog race, & story telling. Come meet our dogs, play with our puppies, and learn a little bit about Alaska's state sport before going for a fun dog sled ride. Our tours are kept small, customized to your groups needs, and are very hands on. We look forward to meeting you!
columbus, oh
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Good but not great”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

After reading the Tripadvisor reviews and following Turning Heads Kennel on facebook, I had pretty high expectations for this tour. Unfortunately, those expectations were either too high or maybe we were just there on an off day. First, the positives: The woman who set up our reservation was super friendly and helpful. We enjoyed meeting the dogs, playing with the puppies, and especially watching the young dogs learning to pull the cart. Sarah gave an informative presentation about the dogs and mushing and it was nice to be in a small group rather than the large groups of some tours in Alaska. While we had a nice time, it seemed as if Sarah really wasn't interested in hosting a tour that day. We were not greeted upon arrival, she did not introduce herself to our group, and she offered little commentary about the kennel, the dogs, or anything related to mushing outside of the scripted, impersonal presentation. She did answer our questions and seemed to warm up a bit as the tour progressed. We assumed Travis was the young man helping hook up the dogs for the cart ride, but he did not interact with our group in any way. We would have liked to have learned more about the owners, their mushing experiences and goals, any stories about their dogs, etc. I realize it can be difficult to get excited about one's work day in and day out, especially when dealing with tourists all summer long, but we are a pretty easygoing group and felt this tour was flat and impersonal.

2 Thank bbbtpb
turningheadskennel, Owner at Turning Heads Kennel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
We are so sorry you had such a disappointing experience at our kennel and wish you would have spoken up sooner! It saddens us knowing you left unhappy with your experience. We work hard to make each and every tour fun and enjoyable for our guests.

Sarah give a really fantastics tour but an off day is certainly expected every now and then -- we are sure you understand. We wish that if you had more questions, you would have asked. We talk about dog sledding with many people all summer long and sometimes we forget who we have told what -- any tour guide appreciates questions. Unfortunately, being easygoing can often be misinterpreted as boredom -- she probably thought that you were uninterested and rather than force your attention on a subject she just moved on to something new. Believe me, she loves talking about how a disney movie started her off on this epic journey of running sled dogs and I am sorry you missed out on that experience.

While I can't say with exact certainty, I'm very confident that if I had been present on the day of your tour, I'd have introduced myself -- I love nothing better than talking about my dogs and I love seeing people's reactions while they are getting hooked up.

We are sorry you were disappointed with your experience but wish you would have told us so we could have fixed it before you left!

- Travis & Sarah

Steubenville, Ohio
“Made my bucket list”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We only had a day and half in Seward and made sure to spend part if our time here. Travis and Sarah have a wonderful business here and are very knowledgable of the dogs and mushing. The ride around the property was the highlight along with cuddling puppies. We would highly recommend spending time here seeing what real sled dogs are like.

Visited July 2014
We are thrilled that you loved the ride -- it's a highlight for us getting to go out everyday with our dogs and teach our guests about mushing!
Sahuarita, Arizona
“Dog Lovers Heaven”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were in Seward, Alaska for the Kenai Fjord tour which ended up being cancelled because of weather. We went out to eat breakfast and one person in our group saw an ad for Turning Heads Kennel and suggested we go there instead. I must admit I wasn't very excited to go. I was really happy I did. What a wonderful time we had. Sarah and Travis were great hosts. You can tell that they love what they do. It was a high point on our Alaska trip. If you go take a camera the dogs are very photogenic. Watching the dogs getting hitched up and watching how excited they were was lots of fun. I loved getting to interact with the dogs. I would definitely return again.

Visited June 2014
Wow! You are an incredible photographer. We are happy to hear that despite your initial hesitation that you had a wonderful time. We are truly in awe of the photos you've captured of our dogs and our kennel and are glad that it was such a highlight to your vacation. We hope you will follow along as we race this year!
“Wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I decided late to go check out a sled dog tour and picked Turning Heads Kennels based on the great reviews. It really was great. Travis and Sarah were both such great hosts. The passion they both have and the love of the dogs was terrific to see. The dog kennel areas were so clean I was amazed with that many excited dogs. Travis is only 22 years old and had so much energy (even though it was raining like crazy), it was fun to see. We got to see two different sets of puppies and they were adorable (8 weeks old and 4 weeks old). Travis took us on a fun dog sled ride that was just the right amount of time. I have used Trip Advisor a lot, but this was my first review and wanted to let people now about this cool tour.

Visited July 2014
Thank you so much! It means a lot to us to hear positive feedback and we are so glad that you took the time to leave us a review. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Alaska and are so glad to hear that you left with such a fond memory of us and our kennel!
San Jose, California, United States
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“excellent kennels”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were looking to visit a kennel to show sled dogs and pups to kids in our travel party but most of them were quite expensive. We saw turning heads kennel on Exit Glacier road. The price was reasonable compared to others. The owners did an excellent job of taking us around the kennels, introducing us to the dogs and pups. The pups were so adorable and the kids went crazy. We got a complete tour of how sled dogs are prepped for a tour. The kids got to put harness and shoes for the dogs during the demo. We also did a sled tour with 16 enthusiastic dogs. Overall, great kennel, reasonable pricing.

Visited June 2014
turningheadskennel, Owner at Turning Heads Kennel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
We are so glad you had such a positive experience at our kennel and that your kids enjoyed it too. We love sharing our passion for mushing and dogs with children as we both got in to the sport when we were young. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We appreciate it!

Been to Turning Heads Kennel? Share your experiences!