“We didn't make it to the top, but.....”
Review of Mt. Marathon

Ranked #17 of 55 things to do in Seward
Reviewed August 25, 2014

OK, I'll admit it, Mt Marathon kicked my butt. My son, daughter-in-law and I spent 4 1/2 hours getting about 3/4 of the way up Mt Marathon using the jeep trail, and finally I cried uncle. Nevertheless, I'd do it all again! To someone from the lower 48 it is so cool to start out at sea level and hike to above the tree line, to see snow capped mountains across the bay, and to see a tiny cruise ship at the docks in Seward. Some advice--wear really good hiking shoes; have trekking poles; take water; don't forget your camera; wear lots of deodorant; enjoy!

3  Thank Crawford B

Reviewed July 28, 2014

The runners’ route up Mt. Marathon is a steep, relentless climb over scree. We took the more scenic route via the Jeep Trail and Skyline Ridge. The visitor centre painted a dire picture of steep, loose rocks on the Skyline Trail and didn’t recommend that we attempt it due to the mortal dangers of the route! Needless to say, we ignored such doom-laden advice and sallied forth on our chosen route. In fact the ascent, although steep in places, was a delight to follow.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We only tried a small portion of this hike, and were taken with the knowledge that the annual July 4th mountain race had just taken place. Even at the start this is an impressive hiking opportunity; will look forward to the vistas from on up high on another visit.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The annual race in July-awesome event!
The view from the bottom-dumbfounding why anyone would race up that stone
The climb anyway up or around, breathtaking, bring water and snacks, have really great shoes!!
And let someone know you intend to climb and the time, just in case.

1  Thank Terry T
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This was a challenging hike with a ton of incline but it was totally worth it. The view from the top is incredible and I'm really glad we kept on going to the top.