“Great location, traditional B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Ballaine House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2007

My husband and I spent 2 nights at Ballaine House during our stay in Seward and we were very happy with our choice. This trip to Alaska was our first experience with bed and breafasts so we were a little hesitant but the Ballaine House turned out to be a great surprise.

Marlee was very helpful with all her informative emails and with answers to all the questions I had before we arrived. Unfortunately we didn't get to meet her. A young lady named Jessica was working there for the summer and she did a great job taking care of everyone. She had great suggestions for activities in town and lots of information about Alaska.

Ballaine House is a traditional B&B with shared bathrooms and home-cooked breakfasts made to order every morning. The house is older but it is well kept and has a very cozy feel. The rooms were very clean, nicely decorated with antique furniture and comfortable beds. There were also tvs in every room and wireless internet access available as well as a desktop computer in the dining room for everyone to share. The house is well within walking distance of everything downtown including the Sea Life Center. The small boat harbor is also within walking distance but a little farther.

Our only complaint was that our room opened up into the kitchen/dining room and we had to walk by everyone in the morning on the way to the bathroom. We would definitely stay here again but would request a room upstairs instead.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed May 6, 2007

Marilee is truly resourceful! Her informations on all the tours and restaurants around Seward are more detailed than any travel books could offer. She can also get you 20% discounts on may day cruses if you stay at Ballaine House.
Marilee is always ready to help and she responded my email very quickly.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank CayenneCan
Reviewed December 20, 2006

I was initially really frustrated with trying to get ahold of someone to make our reservations last year... had called/emailed several times and couldn't get anyone. I tried one last time and PRESTO! Marilee answered the phone and was incredibly gracious and wonderful... she even shuffled some things around so that she could accommodate our dates. She followed up with an email including tons of really valuable tour info and deals... I was thrilled! Unfortunately, we had an emergency arise a few months before our trip was scheduled... when I contacted Marilee to let her know, she was just wonderful and thanked us for letting her know so that she could re-let the rooms... she even asked after my Mom (who we were bringing on the trip). She's a gem! We've rescheduled the trip and I can't wait to be able to stay this year... I don't care how many times I have to call to get a reservation here - I'll do it!

Stayed: July 2006
Reviewed August 31, 2006

The Ballaine House in Seward, Alaska, is a historic old (but well-restored and maintained) house with a terrific view of the harbor and mountains across the fjord. Marlee was a most gracious hostess -- offering to launder our wet and muddy clothes after a rainy day hike we took, providing discounted tickets to local attractions, offering advice on restaurants (local and elsewhere on the Kenai Peninsula), and being a wonderful cook. The "bed" part of B&B meant a quiet night and restful sleep; the "breakfast" part meant a hearty, made-to-order breakfast -- as well as coffee, tea, or hot cocoa at any time of the day. We had wonderful evening conversations in her living room after other guests returned from their day's activities, and made quick friends with others.

As for comments about Marlee being unresponsive to e-mails, that certainly was not our experience. I can't speak for anyone else, but Marlee always responded within a day or so to my e-mail questions.

We stayed at The Ballaine House two nights in late August 2006 -- getting very near the end of the tourist season in Alaska -- but there was a full house each night. The company of other guests only added to the fun we had.

Thanks to our experience there, we have become avid fans of B&Bs, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Ballaine House if you're staying in Seward.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank cmhprh
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We just returned from our own land tour then a 7 day cruise in Alaska.. One of the many highlights was staying at the Ballaine house B and B. Marilee had 3 other guests at the time, and she made everyone feel special and comfortable. The trip over to another B and B called the Barn Appetite, with her guests for Crepes and other entertainment was a special highlight as well.

The room we had was very comfortable and quiet.
Marilee offered her guests the use of internet access to check e-mails and such. Discounted coupons for local area attractions, even offered to do the laundry while your touring.

All in All a top notch stay. If your looking for a B and B. put this on your list.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank mr.jimcat
Reviewed April 14, 2006

I stayed at the Ballaine for 2 nights during my visit to Seward, Marilee was truly a people person who I will remember for a long long time.First she met me at the trainstation and took me back to her place then I settled down in a really nice and comfortable room, next morning the breakfest was cooked to order, Marilee did my laundry and even folded them for me...she invited mefor dinner at a restaurant with her friends and she paid for my meal and bought me some icecream afterwards!! I was a backpacker so I did not have a car, she let me to use hers so I could hike up to Harding Icefield and that morning I returned to Anchorage by train, she took me to the trainstation and I gaver her a hug. I sure will go back to Seward and do other things I want to do but more importantly to say hello to Marilee in person. Thank you for the good time.

• Stayed: August 2004
3  Thank starwars328
Reviewed January 11, 2006

Having read the reviews of Ballaine House B&B, I was really keen to book it for our forthcoming trip to Seward.
However, we have tried for almost two months to book! We have sent numerous e-mails and left messages on the telephone, but have not had any response at all. I have finally given up, and are booking elsewhere.
If you want to book at Ballaine House, you either need to be persistent or lucky! Such a shame, as it sounds like a great place.

• Stayed: December 2005