“Like Staying with Friends / Family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Ballaine House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
LA
“Like Staying with Friends / Family”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I have nothing but great things to stay about my stay at the Ballaine House B&B. From the initial email, Marlee was super helpful with information about traveling to Seward and Alaska in general. But once I arrived at the cozy B&B I was absolutely positive I chose the right place (thank you Tripadvisor!) It really felt more like I was staying with friends or a relative than at an B&B.

The place was easy to find, close to everything (right between the harbor and downtown) and when I arrived I was greeted warmly by Marlee. I was lucky enough to be her only guest for the first night of my stay in the Alaska "shoulder" season. I happened to be in Seward for a couple of days with TERRIBLE weather, and Marlee was extremely helpful in helping me make appropriate activity arrangements since my initial plan got rained out. She called around to all the tour companies to help find the best trip for my needs. When I returned from hiking Exit Glacier and riding the rough seas... I came "home" to a wonderful night's sleep in a comfy bed, and felt completely secure as a solo female traveler. The second night of my stay, Marlee had a full house, and the service and level of comfort was unchanged. I had no problem with noise from other guests, or access to the bathroom, etc. All this for significantly less money than the chain hotels in town!

I would whole heartedly encourage you to stay with Marlee at the Ballaine House, and I hope to be able to return myself when the weather is a bit better so I can take that kayak trip I had been dreaming about... :) Thanks Marlee!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank janfrompa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seward, Alaska
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We just got home from our 10 day Alaska vacation and wow what a trip! When we first booked our stay with the Ballaine House B&B we were sent an email that was packed with helpful information about Seward. We were shocked at the amount of things to do while staying in Seward and decided to spend the magority of our stay at the Ballaine house. We planed out most of our time but left the end of our vacation open, but that didnt last long, Marlee was full of great ideas to fill in the blanks of our trip. Most mornings we werent sure what we wanted to do but by the end of our amazing customized breakfast we had our day planed out. She was so helpful, booking tours for us, letting us in on local hikes, she even had a to-go menu of all the restraunts in Seward! She had tips on making our activities less expensive and when the weather crapped out on us she had ideas for rainy days too! She really went above and beond to make sure we were comfortable and entertained. I can truely say that our host made our vacation! Out of any hotel, motel, or B&B in the world I would come here again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in July 2011 and although the owner was away we were
made exceptionally welcome by her young lady assistant.Excellent breakfasts and amazing choice of drinks.Even before we arrived we were emailed stacks of info about the surrounding area including advising us to buy a "toursaver" book which gives hundreds of 2 for the price of
one offers and even incudes the brilliant Anchorage to Fairbanks train.Book this early.You cant go wrong!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jek43
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Where else will the host do your laundry, cook you a customize breakfast, and go out to buy you organic cheese? Well, Marlee makes it all happen. She even helped us plan most of our trip. We could not ask for more. The B&B is clean, cozy, spacious, and definitely has a great home away from home feel to it. I would love to go back!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RoseMarie39
harrisonburg
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This is the best bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at. The host is absolutely the nicest person you will ever have take care of you. We hiked all day in the poring rain and when we got back she insisted on not just washing those clothes but all the clothes from our travels. She then washed several loads of smelly hiking clothes and folded them for us. The breakfast was cook to order every morning at whatever time you wanted it. Also, the host went out of her way to try and set us up with a tour after our first one was canceled due to weather. The rooms were very nice with huge flat screen TVs (which we were forced to use because of the driving rain).

If you don't stay here because of a shared bathroom , you need to seriously consider why you travel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank usatraveler77
San Diego
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Nice charming historical house and rooms. Caring, warm, knowledgeable and very helpful host/owner. Absolutely enjoyed our family's (husband & wife, 10 yo boy and 15 yo girl) two night 3 day stay at this place. Agreed with all the people who gave 5 star ratings.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DiYiCi
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I was a little skeptical about sharing a bathroom with 2 other bedrooms but everyone was considerate and it worked out fine. Angelina, our hostess worked hard for all the guests comfort and somehow managed to make different breakfasts for everyone each day. The breakfast selection was great and though not " gourmet" was tasty and substantial. The location on the main road may be a problem for some but it quiets down pretty early and we had no problems sleeping.

• Stayed August 2011