“Great breakfast place”

Cuisines: American
Description: Www.hotelsewardalaska.com
Description: Www.hotelsewardalaska.com
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We ate breakfast here and returned the next morning, driving from the small boat harbor area to do so. We particularly enjoyed the focus on a somewhat more healthy menu, with good omelet options and a nice selection of fresh fruit instead of hash browns. The coffee and water were free flowing. The tables by the windows in the bar area provide a nice breakfast atmosphere. We have no idea what it might be like after the bar is actually open, but breakfast is great.

There are newer reviews for Mrs Genes Place

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I was a bit weary of seafood, and had a great lamb dish at Gene's. Conversely, my husband wasn't too enamored of his snapper here. Anyway, its worth a try. Nice quirky place that seems to cater to locals, very friendly service.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We tried this place because we were staying in the hotel and it was early. Food was nothing but average, but the service was the worst we experienced in Alaska. The waiter not only took over fifteen minutes to greet us and give us menus...and another ten to come back and take our order, but forgot our order and never brought out our drinks. Originally I ordered a Dr. Pepper, and when it never came, I asked about it, and he said "I don't have Dr. Pepper." Ohh, okay?! When I then ordered an OJ, it came in a shot sized glass. I finally gave up and ordered a water, which took me asking two times for. When he finally brought it, he went to sit it down and spilled it on me. He simply said "sorry" and walked away.

While the food would have kept us back every morning before our activities since it wasn't bad and easily accessible, we avoided this place after our terrible experience. Hopefully we were just the outlier and not everyone gets this quality service.

2  Thank Egordon12
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We both tried their halibut cheeks - wonderful! Service was efficient, food served in a timely manner in the cozy bar/restaurant area. Only one complaint: was charged $17 for a Bombay Sapphire Martini!!!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Mrs. Genes Place on Fifth Avenue is Seward, Alaska is one of our favorite Seward restaurants. First, the Hotel Seward is a re-modeled Victorian hotel, bar, and restaurant. The public place is great as well.

Please do not visit Mrs. Genes Place for the plebian burgers and pizza. Tiny Seward has an abundance of burger and pizza joint
An observation: Mrs. Genes Place is much too small; if the owners had some foresight, the dining area must be expanded tenfold. I could consult on achieving more restaurant space.

Mrs. Genes Place really has no view; it is not waterfront, and perhaps competes for the great waterfront properties.

Mrs. Genes Place is ambience plus, and potentially very romantic. The publican sometimes doubles as a server.

I had planned breakfast at Mrs. Genes Place, and dinner at Chinook’s Waterfront Restaurant on the bay; this proved to be a great plan.

Mrs. Genes Place offers a limited thus manageable breakfast menu. I liked several choices and knew the Dungeness Crab would win; but, it always does.

While I am Not an omelet fan, please consider: Mrs. Gene’s Place Signature Crab Omelet Savory fresh Dungeness Crab served in our 3 egg omelet Topped with homemade Burre Blanc Sauce and an English Muffin.

I am a huge Chesapeake Blue Crab fan, and in my view the Chesapeake Blue crab carries more flavor than the Dungeness Crab. However, add Burre Blanc Sauce and one feasts for $13.00.

It is not noon, and I pass on alcohol.

Kudos to the publican and the owners. The fare is appropriate for the tariff.