“Yummy Eggs Benedict”

Mrs Genes Place
Ranked #20 of 50 Restaurants in Seward
Cuisines: American
Reviewed February 19, 2014

the food was great just enough yummy sauce on the eggs and the service was with a smile : ) My husband had a Crab Omelet to die for : ) We also had a wonderful dinner I had a pork loin it had pecans and apple cooked on it yummm My husband had their Fillet and loved it : )

2  Thank Cassie R

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We loved this little unique place, decked out during the holidays with all of the stuffed animals on the walls wearing Christmas hats and scarves. We enjoyed our breakfasts, with an incredibly friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

As late-arriving & early-departing hotel guests, we ate dinner then breakfast at Mrs. Genes restaurant inside the Hotel Seward during the ‘shoulder season’ of early October 2013.

The Victorian-themed bar and restaurant is quite small; and, the outdoor area too cool so closed. We chose dinner seating in a separate ‘Christmas’ themed room that seemed to be a converted older hotel room with just two tables: almost tacky. With only three occupied tables, we had breakfast in the bar / restaurant with its warm wood bar and furniture. For either, hotel guests walk past a zoo of stuffed local animals...

We had travel for 20 hours; were in no rush and expected a down-sized staff with few quests. That expectation may add to your experience.

For dinner, the sole bartender / waitress was handling 6 tables plus bar patrons, Yet, Stephanie had time to visit, provide local guidance and cheered us tired travelers up with her humor and responsive service. The wine selection was excellent and reasonably priced. Dinner entrees included Halibut Cheeks, Salmon and a spinach salad topped with scallops and shrimp. At this time of year, we knew the fish was not just from the ocean; yet, it was fresh-tasting, tender, well-seasoned and completely eaten, except the spinach was enough for two!

The restaurant opens early enough for travelers who must run, not us. The chef was also the waiter. He managed to keep all quests served timely and still pause for a chat with the guests. The coffee is served in a mug and very tasty as one might expect in coffee-conscious Alaska. As with dinner, the breakfast was bordering on too much food. The three servings of whole oatmeal, an omelet and eggs benedict kept us going, 4 mile hike included, until 3 PM. I’ve had eggs benedict in some of the best New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami and European restaurants; yet, none compared with the freshly made hollandaise sauce of this morning.

Dinner averaged $24 each while breakfast averaged $10 each. With food as good as this, I consider this a great value. I’m now on vacation; so decided to enjoy the ambiance and friendly service without expecting a 15 minute meal in this quaint ‘fishing village’ with its amazing natural beauty.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I had dinner in early September. She had the prawn/scallop quinoa salad and I had the prawn/scallop spinach salad. Both of them were good and definitely provided plenty to eat. Neither were exceptional as the description sounded better than the end result. Not sure what was missing but they were a step up from bland. The dining room is really a bar with a few tables which was actually pretty quaint. Service was reasonable. The young chef came out into the bar and chatted with us about the dishes as we were ordering.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Food: The prices are comparable to bar food at all the other places we visited on our Alaska travels, but the food is a solid step above. We chose to have the cook bake (only option) our fresh fish we brought in from that days fishing trip and added a side of rice, however, both were a real disappointment as they lacked any seasonings or flavor. My daughter did order coconut shrimp off the menu, myself a Caesar salad; that food was very good.

Service: Lack of staff - ONE cook and ONE waitress who also doubles as the hostess and bartender, does NOT cut it. They should hire more summer staff and demo some walls to expand the main dining area. The layout of the restaurant is ABSURD. The sitting area is very warm and inviting, but the dining area only has about five tables, I believe. Further down the hall I’m assuming what was previously hotel rooms, they added each two tables, chairs, and a small TV and call it a “private dining area”. Those rooms are seemingly uninviting, isolated, and cold – and the waitress simply didn’t have the time to make it back there much. We found this out by befriending some other dining patrons and decided to wait until a table became available in the main dining area. There was also a guy – not sure if he was the cook or an employee, but he was pretty loud and obnoxious, dressed like he’d just come in off a fishing boat, walking back and forth between the kitchen, bar, and dining area and even telling guests to be patient until the hostess/waitress came through to seat them.

Overall, my rating balances out in the middle: good food, lousy service. …Yet the restaurant really has potential.

Happy travels!

Been to Mrs Genes Place? Share your experiences!