“Fantastic Guided Kayak Camping Experience Ailak Bay Area.”
Review of Miller's Landing

Miller's Landing
Ranked #20 of 45 things to do in Seward
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Redding, California
“Fantastic Guided Kayak Camping Experience Ailak Bay Area.”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

EXCELLENT! Highly recommended!! (Details below)

My GF April and I left Northern California on a 25 day, 7000 mile road trip to The Soldotna Alaska area to visit her grandparents. Due to space limitations we did not bring our sea kayaks. We also were not able to do as much advance planning as I would have liked to plan this great adventure. So I found myself in Soldotna talking to locals, fishing guides, searching the web, and talking to a lot of kayak rental and kayak guide companies. I had some very specific ideas of what I wanted for sea kayaking in Alaska. I was worried that as a sea kayaker with over ten years of experience I did not want to do a group guided paddle. I was also concerned that since I had not done advance planning and I have never been to Alaska before, I should not be doing a long self guided trip off The Gulf of Alaska. I was worried that my dreams of sea kayaking in Alaska would not happen as I imagined it.

THEN...

I sent off a detailed email to Miller's Landing telling them of what I was hoping to experience. I got a quick return call from Chance Miller. April and I visited Miller's Landing two days later to discuss what we wanted. From the moment that we started speaking with Chance, I knew that we were at the right place and in great hands. We ended up booking a group overnight guided kayak camp trip for June 9th.

The trip was fantastic and absolutely met my wishes for what we wanted to experience. Every detail was perfect. The kayaks and gear were in great condition; the water taxi is first rate; the guides were personable, safety minded, fun, and knowledgeable; the food was very good with fresh caught fish; the paddling was perfect; and the weather was exceptional. (I know that they can't guarantee the weather).

We paddled icy waters, observed glaciers from our kayak, observed lots of wildlife including black bear, saw lots of waterfalls, and got a great orientation to the area. Our guides did a great job of asking what we wanted and then meeting our needs and wants. We wanted a high degree of independence with minimal support and got that. Another couple wanted a higher degree of assistance and received that. Our guides did an exceptional job of blending the need for safety and adventure.

I just got done editing over 300 photos that we took from this trip. Our friends are amazed.

We HIGHLY recommend Miller's Landing for anything related to kayaking, fishing, water taxi, local knowledge, etc. We didn't stay on their site as we had family close by. But the people that I spoke with had a great time staying there. Watch out for the crazy goat! :-)

When i return in the future, I will use them for planning another kayak trip and using their equipment and water taxi. And I would have no reservation in using their guides if I felt the need for a guide on the trip. I would like to give a special Thank You to: Chance Miller, Nick, Trampas, and Diana. You guys made our trip very special.

Steve Wopschall
Redding, CA

Chicago, Illinois
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 177 helpful votes
“Memorable Orca Island Paddle”
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Had perfect weather and water for a great trip to Orca island and an impressive nearby waterfall. Our guide was both knowledgeable and humorous, albeit a bit too anxious to talk about himself. The main problem is company disorganization and incompetence due to its hiring low cost foreign help and its shortsge of qualified guides. However, the beauty of this trip outweighs those negatives.

Visited March 2013
Danbury, Connecticut, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Miller's Landing Shore Fishing”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I went on a shore fishing tour with JR. I have been a lot of fishing tours. This was by far the best one ever. His Knowledge about fishing and where to fish Was amazing. I would highly recommend booking the fishing trip before you go. The evening tide seemed to be the best time to go. All the locals follow JR where ever he goes. If you booked a trip before you go, you can always change the time when you get there. I took home 35 pounds of sockeye salmon fillets. AMAZING!!!! We went on a king salmon fishing trip on the Kasilof River. We caught 1 King Salmon for 4 people. That cost almost $700.

Kaneohe
“Caine's head kayak and hike to old fort”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Despite the cold weather, dark heavy gray clouds, and rain, we had a good time. Our guide Ally was knowledgeable, cheerful, energetic and calm, and she both led our large group and provided a sort of stabilizing influence over her co-guide, who was kind of a liability. (Before we set out, he mentioned that he hadn't slept the night before; he talked nonstop but showed little knowledge of the flora, fauna, geology, etc.)
We saw one humpback, sea otters, a stellar jay; our group was so energized that a yoga teacher/marathon runner posed in a handstand up on a cliff! (that photo must be somewhere...)
For me, we could have spent more time kayaking, and skipped the fort, but on the other hand, that might have been too exhausting.
I'd do it again. Thanks Millers!

Anchorage, Alaska
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Go for the Kayaking- Don't stay for the camping”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My friend and I took the 3 hr kayak trip to Tonsina Beach and loved it! The weather, views and overall experience were great! Hanah was an excellent guide, personable and competent. We were unable to go to the beach because of waves, did not see any wildlife and the tour was actually a little less than 2 hours (I guess because of not landing). But it was still a great experience and a camera is a must. We also camped at Miller's Landing, which I don't recommend because these campsites were pretty shabby. Some had parking, picnic tables, fire pits and sleeping areas. Some had 2/4, all appeared random as best I could tell. We pitched tent in the parking area/road as we had a table and pit space only. The next site over borrowed our table and also parked next to our site.

Visited June 2013

Been to Miller's Landing? Share your experiences!