“Up close to wildlife”

Ranked #12 of 52 Outdoor Activities in Seward
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Had a great time! Staff was very knowledgeable, professional and fun. There were four in our group and we hadn't been on horses in many years, but that didn't matter; the horses needed very little guidance, as they were very familiar with the terrain. Saw quite a few bald eagles at a very short distance. Highly recommend this trip to anyone looking for a different way to see scenery in Alaska.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

i didn't have any plans for my last day in seward and was traveling solo so i thought why not… i haven't ridden in a while but let's give it a go. i wasn't totally sure what to expect as on other 'trail rides' in touristy destinations it's been a bit of a 'canned' experience… this was not that and i was so thrilled. i called and they were able to fit me in the next day ( perk of traveling solo ) and off we went… i rode seQuoia who certainly was a thrill to ride and our guide Jessica led us on a trail that was packed with stunning views. it is alaska, and it is the wilderness… and there is water and mud…so my advice be prepared for anything and take it all in… where else are you going to have such an experience! i'm so glad i made this a stop on my Seward journey…

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Our first day in Seward and I had scheduled a horseback ride. We had the best weather and my husband enjoyed the ride because his horse kept him on his toes. A little spirit in a horse makes a ride so much better and more enjoyable. I have MS and I was able to handle my horse with no problem. I was thrilled when one of the guides offered to take pictures of me and my husband on our horses. She did a great job. We try to ride in each state that we visit and this was one of the better rides.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The weather during out trip was horrible, with rainy blowing sideways and temps in the 50's. We called to see if the ride was still going to happen, and they decided that it would not and that they would happily refund our money. To me that shows good business sense.

1  Thank thehappydane
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Hands down, worst experience I have ever had on vacation. I was on a two hour tour with a family of 5, with three children ages 5, 8, and 13. I arrived early to "get to know" my horse as stated by the tour recommendations. I noticed right away that three of the horses appeared to be somewhat agitated. I was very nervous, as I am not an experienced rider, but I have been on a ride in the last 6 months. I expressed my concerns with the owner and requested that I not ride the three horses in question, in which she told me not to worry because "those horses are for the children". I was relieved and at the same time horrified, but I figured they must have more riding experience. Also, I observed that the horses were being "saddled up" by a group of teenage employees, probably ranging from ages 14-17. About 40 minutes into the ride, I noticed one of the children's saddles slipping to the left a little and I yelled out to the guide. Before she could respond, the horse became startled and started bucking wildly. Luckily the rider wasn't seriously injured but he did comment that the horse came dangerously close to coming down on his ankle. About 1 hour into the trip we came to a meadow and were told to let the horses eat grass, at which time our guide (also a teenager) offered to take pictures of us on our horses. I noticed right away that the smallest rider's horse started off on the trail without us. As the guide went to retrieve that horse, the 8 year olds horse took off abruptly on a side trail and my horse followed! I pulled very hard on the reigns to try to gain control, but lost them over the top of my horses head as she thrusted her head down and forward. The horse was very uncontrollable and did not listed to basic commands. I hung on for dear life before both horses came to a hault. The 8 year old could not maintain his position on his horse, but luckily was not injured as he landed in the grass. At this point the entire group unanimously decided to abort the mission, and we walked the horses back to base camp in the mud. I justifiably expressed my disgust in this experience with the staff and the owner but was denied a refund. The owner did say that she may give a partial refund to the family whose children were thrown off from the horses but ultimately said it was our decision and not the company's to end the tour early and that the guide remained in complete control of the situation at all times.

9  Thank valleylily