“Amazing Alaskan yurt experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Sourdough Sue's Yurts
Ranked #10 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed September 3, 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed at the 30' yurt and it was better than anything we could have imagined!

It's a very spacious, bright yurt. Although the walls between the bedrooms and bathroom are partitions, the bathroom is real. It has a real shower, a real sink, a real toilet. The kitchen was great too - it had a small refrigerator/freezer, a microwave, a stove, an electric grill. Cooking utensils and silverware/cutlery were provided. There was also some tea, coffee, and a coffee maker.

The futon expanded into a bed - so did the two lounge chairs in the living room area. The beds were extremely comfortable, and the blankets that were provided for the beds/futon were great too. There was even a towel set for each of us.

The porch area was great - it's covered and there's a propane grill and outdoor chairs for everyone.

Sue was a great person who was extremely nice - so was her husband. She provided us with juice boxes and a delicious homemade banana blueberry cake.

Outside, there is a picnic table and a campfire site. We lit up a campfire and barbequed some fresh salmon we bought at the fish market in Seward (10 minutes drive) using the grill on the porch. It was amazing.

In the morning, we woke up to the nice sound of rain hitting the center dome! We don't get that much in LA.

We will definitely stay here if we come back. I think it's better than staying in Seward itself because that place was FREEZING. It is a little warmer in the wooded area of the yurts.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Ootimom, Owner at Sourdough Sue's Yurts, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2014

thank you so much for staying with us. I love to hear the great times that our guests are sharing with the world.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Was very happy with our decision to stay in Sourdough Sue's Yurts. There was fresh blueberry-banana bread and juice boxes on the kitchen table. I was pleased with how roomy it was and how cozy it felt at the same time. We lit the oil stove and it just added to the ambience. We were greeted on our arrival by the owner's three friendly dogs who were welcoming every time we came back to the property. That was a great treat for my daughter. The kitchen had everything you could need and there was a great bbq on the porch.
Would definitely recommend this place- really was a unique setting and a great value!

Only thing missing was a hairdryer- this was the only place we stayed at where one wasn't available. (To be fair we didn't ask if there was one avaialbe but it wasn't in our bathroom)

1  Thank CTHEUS

Our dogs live for the fact that each day there will be new guests to get pets from. They thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I absolutely LOVED Sourdough Sue's yurts! My mom and I stayed for two nights and wish we had stayed longer! The yurt had a kitchen area as well as a barbecue if you wanted to make your own meals! We stayed warm by lighting the oil stove which gave the yurt a nice ambiance! I slept on the futon which was really comfortable. Even though a yurt sounds small and compact it wasn't. It was very spacious! I also loved the three greeters- Uti, Midu and Gaya- the three dogs that belong to Sue. They were very sweet and reminded me of my dog at home! Sue was very nice and helpful! Another plus was the price- we didn't break the bank staying at Sourdough Sue's! Overall Sourdough Sue's yurts are a must if you are staying in Seward

1  Thank Pennyloper
Ootimom, Owner at Sourdough Sue's Yurts, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2015

Thank you for your great review!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in the 2 bedroom yurt. We were very excited to stay here. After all, how many people can say they stayed in a yurt. During our trip to AK, we wanted to stay places other than motels and this fit the bill. The yurt had a full kitchen, big living room and 2 comfortable bedrooms. The walls don't go all the way to the ceiling so you need to be comfortable with the people you're staying with. We founf no issue with this. Bathroom was nice & big. The only complaint I had was that I had wished it was in more of a woodsy, rural location. The property was big, and there were bushes surrounding it, but ouryurt was next to the gravel road. Since the walls are so thin, you could hear every car that drove by. I would suggest bringing earplugs if you are a light sleeper like I am. Don't get me wrong, this place was very nice & comfortable. We would definitely stay here again. Sues was very nice & her baked goodies were VERY good!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed staying here! The yurts are perfectly appointed, comfortable, spacious and set in a great location. If you are looking for a nice place to stay with friends or family and avoid the motel scene altogether, this is your spot! The porch with a bbq grill made it perfect for grilling fresh salmon! Sue and her husband and dogs are very welcoming and hospitable. Sue also kindly mailed me a vest that I left behind.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for yor great review.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We stayed in the 2BR yurt, which was very nice itself. However, the host, Sue, ruined our stay. We were granted permission to bring 2 dogs with us, as long as they were on leashes, did not go in the yurt, and slept in the car. We gladly agreed to these rules, and followed them. But when we arrived, Sue rudely "greeted" us by yelling at us for having dogs with us in the first place. She refused to discuss the misunderstanding, and instead walked off. When I tried to discuss the situation with her the next morning, she denied ever giving permission to bring the dogs in the first place. She acted extremely unprofessional, unwelcoming, and disrespectful. Sue earned the nickname "Sour Sue" to our group. We still tried to have a fun birthday celebration, but it certainly put a downer on the trip. I would not recommend staying here based on the owners lack of respect for her paying customers.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Aloha907

I had asked these guests if their dogs were controllable when they made the reservation. I was reluctant to say yes to the dogs. Their dogs 3or4 were very aggressive and off of their leashes and it made our two labs very uncomfortable. The guests were young with an I don't care attitude. I wish the new generation had more respect!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed two nights in the two bedroom yurt. This place is right outside of Seward and close to Exit Glacier park. It had all of the conveniences of home with a kitchen and a nice bathroom. It was a little hard to get use to it being light for most of the night with the glass-covered opening in the top of the yurt. It was nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in order to eat breakfast there before going out for the day. We would definitely stay here again, and I thought the price was very reasonable.

Room Tip: May want to bring a sleep mask if visiting in the early part of the summer.