“Experience of a Lifetime”
Review of Aurora Charters

Aurora Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We provide saltwater fishing charters for halibut, salmon (both king & silver), rockfish, & lingcod out of seward, alaska.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 11, 2013

In July 2013 I experienced a fishing trip that I and my two sons will never forget. The weather and conditions were great, we were on a six person boat with Captain John fishing for halibut and ling cod. John knew exactly where to fish, we had bites all day long, ending up with a 102 lb halibut and several others just under 100 lbs. As this was our first fishing trip to AK, John took the time to show us what to do and make sure everyone on board was able to catch something. We ended up taking home over 120 pounds of processed fish which we are still enjoying. Afterwards, Kim and Janet at AC helped us get a t-shirt made and sent to us for my son saying "100 pound club" as he was the one that brought in the largest fish that day. We are already talking about coming back to Seward with other family members, and will definitely book another expedition with Aurora Charters! Thank you for making this family trip such a memorable experience.

2  Thank Mary S
in 13 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I have to note we went out on a rainy day with 3 ft swells which might have altered the experience.

Full day combo halibut and salmon.

Rough trip out took 3 hrs and left 3 of ten too seasick to fish. So glad wife or kid did not attempt to go because they would have been miserable. Captain threatening to cancel fishing until someone admitted to losing knob for toilet and missing knob for toilet was found. Captain did put us on halibut but this is really boring fishing for me. Had to wait for everyone including one drunk to limit which left little time for salmon on way back.

Glad I did it but would not go again. Would never recommend for the faint of heart.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our (five guys) fifth fishing trip to the Seward/Homer area. We fish Salmon, Halibut, Rockfish for four full days, always bringing home 100lbs. of fillet each. The difference this time was Captain Chris Bausch. His pleasant demeanor and professionalism made us feel like part of a team. We are not pro's and do make mistakes, but Capt. Chris never wavered from his easy going attitude. He knew we were looking for big numbers and stayed out until we caught our max each day. We once had a captain that wanted to keep anything including Pink Salmon and small Halibut just so he could get back early. Not this time. We went out for "Hogs" one day and I caught my personal best, a 100 lb Halibut.
We are already recommending Aurora Charters and Captain Chris to others. Hopefully he will still be there when we return.
I gave five stars because I can't think of single thing I would change.
Al B.

2  Thank Al B
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went on a half day salmon charter with Captain Chris. My son's had a great time. Chris always kept us fishing, always there to bait the hook. We shipped 26 pounds of salmon home. Afterwards when we got in the car, we all agreed Capt Chris reminded us of the comedian Ron White. We are not sportsmen, but Chris gave us instructions.

1  Thank dwwilburn
See more reviews
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked this charter through the Fish House and was not told I'd be on a boat with 16 other people. In fact, I was told "I should have asked". We wanted a combo charter for both Halibut and Silvers. We were told to be at the dock by 6:15 am. The captain showed up at 7:15. The boat was gross, very run down, and had NO drinking water on it! I asked one of the 2 crew men if they had any water and he told me "the holding tank emits a horrible smell so we don't use it anymore". I glanced up at the captains area where he had sodas, red bulls, tons of snacks for himself and a nice big gallon of water for himself. Not only that, but I've taken several charters (I'm a resident) and out of courtesy, the captain usually has ginger, or peppermint, or something to help the sea sick passengers. This captain was so callous and uncaring about the 2 poor girls that puked their guts up for almost the entire trip.

After 3 hours of boating to the main halibut grounds, we caught nothing but chickens. We spent most of our time untangling ourselves from the persons next to us. (16 people on a 50 foot boat? Greedy!! Non-Sensical! Nothing but tangles!) Then, to make it worse, the anchor broke and the captain wasted 40 minutes of our fishing time trying to fix it. After halibut, we rode another 2.5 hours to a spot for silvers. Once we arrived there, fishing was good but we had limited time to catch any fish. The captain told us we had to go back and many of us had not even caught 1 fish, let alone our limit of 3.

I took photos of the disgusting boat (trash overflowing, exposed electrical, ceiling falling down, mold in the bathroom, etc) and will be sure to show them to whomever it is that governs these types of operations.

After 9 hours at sea, and $1200 later (3 of us) we came back with 6 small halibut and 3 silvers. And as if it couldnt get worse, they fileted our catch right there on the boat, without even asking us! I prefer my salmon to be steaked, rather than fileted, but I had no choice! We didn't get to "pose" at the dock with our catch, and as one of us was a tourist, that would have been a highlight for her. Although, if I were the captain of this boat, I'd be embarassed if my passengers posed with such tiny, limited quantity fish so I can understand why they did this.

Bottom line - Dont book with this company or any of their boats. They suck, big time, and I'll be filing a complaint with the Fish House who will do a review and hopefully refund my money. As an Alaskan, I'm going to be sure to warn everyone I know! $1200 bucks for less than 40lbs of fish - RIP OFF!!!!!!

7  Thank Dolly P