“Best fishing yet!”
Review of Aurora Charters

Aurora Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We provide saltwater fishing charters for halibut, salmon (both king & silver), rockfish, & lingcod out of seward, alaska.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New Hyde Park, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best fishing yet!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our (five guys) fifth fishing trip to the Seward/Homer area. We fish Salmon, Halibut, Rockfish for four full days, always bringing home 100lbs. of fillet each. The difference this time was Captain Chris Bausch. His pleasant demeanor and professionalism made us feel like part of a team. We are not pro's and do make mistakes, but Capt. Chris never wavered from his easy going attitude. He knew we were looking for big numbers and stayed out until we caught our max each day. We once had a captain that wanted to keep anything including Pink Salmon and small Halibut just so he could get back early. Not this time. We went out for "Hogs" one day and I caught my personal best, a 100 lb Halibut.
We are already recommending Aurora Charters and Captain Chris to others. Hopefully he will still be there when we return.
I gave five stars because I can't think of single thing I would change.
Al B.

2 Thank Al B

Los Alamos NM
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Men in my family enjoyed this”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We went on a half day salmon charter with Captain Chris. My son's had a great time. Chris always kept us fishing, always there to bait the hook. We shipped 26 pounds of salmon home. Afterwards when we got in the car, we all agreed Capt Chris reminded us of the comedian Ron White. We are not sportsmen, but Chris gave us instructions.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank dwwilburn
Wasilla
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Absolutely Horrible!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I booked this charter through the Fish House and was not told I'd be on a boat with 16 other people. In fact, I was told "I should have asked". We wanted a combo charter for both Halibut and Silvers. We were told to be at the dock by 6:15 am. The captain showed up at 7:15. The boat was gross, very run down, and had NO drinking water on it! I asked one of the 2 crew men if they had any water and he told me "the holding tank emits a horrible smell so we don't use it anymore". I glanced up at the captains area where he had sodas, red bulls, tons of snacks for himself and a nice big gallon of water for himself. Not only that, but I've taken several charters (I'm a resident) and out of courtesy, the captain usually has ginger, or peppermint, or something to help the sea sick passengers. This captain was so callous and uncaring about the 2 poor girls that puked their guts up for almost the entire trip.

After 3 hours of boating to the main halibut grounds, we caught nothing but chickens. We spent most of our time untangling ourselves from the persons next to us. (16 people on a 50 foot boat? Greedy!! Non-Sensical! Nothing but tangles!) Then, to make it worse, the anchor broke and the captain wasted 40 minutes of our fishing time trying to fix it. After halibut, we rode another 2.5 hours to a spot for silvers. Once we arrived there, fishing was good but we had limited time to catch any fish. The captain told us we had to go back and many of us had not even caught 1 fish, let alone our limit of 3.

I took photos of the disgusting boat (trash overflowing, exposed electrical, ceiling falling down, mold in the bathroom, etc) and will be sure to show them to whomever it is that governs these types of operations.

After 9 hours at sea, and $1200 later (3 of us) we came back with 6 small halibut and 3 silvers. And as if it couldnt get worse, they fileted our catch right there on the boat, without even asking us! I prefer my salmon to be steaked, rather than fileted, but I had no choice! We didn't get to "pose" at the dock with our catch, and as one of us was a tourist, that would have been a highlight for her. Although, if I were the captain of this boat, I'd be embarassed if my passengers posed with such tiny, limited quantity fish so I can understand why they did this.

Bottom line - Dont book with this company or any of their boats. They suck, big time, and I'll be filing a complaint with the Fish House who will do a review and hopefully refund my money. As an Alaskan, I'm going to be sure to warn everyone I know! $1200 bucks for less than 40lbs of fish - RIP OFF!!!!!!

Visited August 2013
7 Thank Dolly P
Mead, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“VERY GOOD 2 AND 1/2 DAYS OF FISHING IN SEWARD”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I are a senior couple from Colorado. We go to Alaska about every 2 to 3
years when we get a hankering for salmon or halibut. This charter with Aurora was 2 full days for salmon and 1/2 day for salmon - Silvers to be specific. Capt. John took us and 4 others out on first day. We were impressed with his knowledge as to where we could get our limit - and we did. He was a little brusque but so am I - no person is perfect - I liked him - we got what we came for. The second full day and the 1/2 day were spent with Capt. Chris (from Oklahoma and a very experienced fisherman). Had 6 folks total along on both trips. Spent time with the people who didn't have much experience. He also had his brusque moments but he also was hauling in 3 or 4 salmons at the same time - very busy moment to be asked questions about how to fish! Even saved the life of my first Puffin catch - it was diving and I caught his leg - Chris got rid of that hook with no cooperation from a very riled up bird. Chris knew where the Silvers were and we got a good haul. John and Chris both drive fast and furious in and out of port - personally for someone who has owned three Corvettes in past years, I loved the speed.
You have a long drive out and you want to get there ASAP and at the end of the charter you want to get back fast and have a nice cold beer. We did this charter this week of 7-30, 31 and Aug 1. 2013. Weather was perfect. Today it's raining in Seward. You can't blame the Capt's for the lousy weather if that's what you get. We made reservations in Feb. We had no clue the weather would be so good for us - we could have been there today but fate was kind. I notice some visitor reviewers were not happy with Aurora - some of the reasons seemed frivolous to me. Humans, weather, life in general are not predictable or perfect - remember 911/New York?
Chalk your fishing experience up as a bad moment in your life and get on with living. I highly recommend Aurora Charters and hope to take our grandson along on our next trip if we're lucky enough to be around. (I gave a 4 rating because nothing is perfect.)

4 Thank cwhitefo24
College Point, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic Experience!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just spent the week of 7/22/13 - 7/29/13 in Seward with 4 buddies - we fished for 4 days with Aurora Charters on the C-Hawk with Captain Chris Bautsch. Our entire experience from beginning to end was excellent! Chris is extremely knowledgeable of the local waters - we caught close to 500 total pounds of halibut, salmon, rockfish and ling cod. Chris was very accommodating and had a great sense of humor - we had a lot of laughs and he worked way harder than any captain I've fished with before this trip. I would highly recommend Aurora and Captain Chris to anyone looking to book a trip to Seward - I plan to go back next year and I won't fish with anyone else.

Thanks, "Ogre"!!