Taroka Inn
$140
Marina Motel(Seward)
$59
Hotels.com
Harbor 360 Hotel(Seward)(Great Value!)
$109
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrooms are cleanbedsmoldmicrowavecomfortlodgingcruise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Very friendly host. Reasonable value. Great location.

Unfortunately the rest of the place just isn't up to par. In need of major renovations. An OK option if everything else is booked, wouldn't relish staying here again though. Stayed for 4 nights before picking up a cruise.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MP282014
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The Taroka Inn is hard to evaluate - which is why we stayed there. We arrived to overgrown grass and a very messy reception. Our host had no front teeth, but was so friendly and helpful, full of smiles and welcome. Our room consisted of a bedroom, kitchen, lounge room - that had another queen size bed in it. It was the sort of place that you felt like you should wear flip flops in the shower, because of a feeling is disrepair, yet the place was clean enough. Looking out the back door of our small apartment the enclosed verandah was rotting away, but the place had everything we needed and was extremely central to everything in Seward and a great price. We stayed for 2 nights and would probably stay there again. If you are looking for something upmarket then don't stay here, but this definitely added to our memories of Seward. Later on we were in Talkeetna speaking with some people from Seward and it took them a while to even recognise the Taroka Inn as it appears the locals do not use this place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ShineSydneyAustralia
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. I researched about every lodging option in Seward as I was trying to find something family friendly so the two kids could stay with us as well, and this was the only reasonable option. As the rooms also come with a kitchen, you can save significant money by grocery shopping. I really enjoyed interacting with the owner, James. He was so kind and very helpful. After our fishing ventures, he offered to let us use his vacuum sealer so we could pack our fish to take home with us on the flight; this alone saved us a significant amount than if we would have had the Seward-based companies pack and ship. The rooms are decent, so buyer beware if you are picky. I don't want to mislead anyone by thinking the rooms are in gorgeous shape, they are not...they are older and the furnishings are as well. The beds were comfortable and the spaces were clean, although I did notice a bit of mold on the bathroom ceiling. The Inn is one block from a laundromat and about three blocks from the water and many restaurants and shops. You have no views and do not feel like you are in any sort of luxury, but I would definitely stay here again because of the nightly rate for 4 people.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kelly b
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I recently stayed at the Taroka Inn with a couple of friends for a night when we were passing through Seward. I've definitely stayed in nicer places, but the Taroka Inn met all of our needs just fine. It is a little bit older and definitely has some noticeable wear and tear throughout, but the rooms themselves were fine. Don’t expect to walk into a 5 star hotel, and you won’t be disappointed, but it was definitely a good value nonetheless.

I will absolutely echo the other reviews by saying that the owner is a true delight. When we arrived a couple hours prior to the check in time, he had absolutely no trouble accommodating us. He was very friendly and welcoming, and offered to give us advice about things to do in the area if we needed it. He even gave us a free upgrade to the biggest room on the property. The room had three separate bedrooms with three good sized beds so we all got our own room and our own bed within the larger room itself, which was nice after having travelled quite a long way to get to Alaska. The room had a very spacious full kitchen and living area, although we unfortunately didn't have the time to utilize them. The free wi-fi was also very much appreciated. The rooms were very basic, but that was just fine with us. It was very clean, and the inside definitely looks better than the outside so don't judge a book by its cover.

It is a very short walk to the downtown Seward area, which was very convenient. Since Seward is such a small town, accommodations tend to be pretty expensive, but the Taroka Inn was reasonably priced and we were very satisfied with our stay!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the more updated rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Morgan M
Reviewed August 11, 2013

OK ... how do you rate a hotel that is old old old and worn out? The buildings are sinking into the ground; some doors close, many do not. A few things are fixed and somewhat modern (e.g, some of the sinks), but much is not. There are some nice kitchens and rooms, some not. But it was a good night's sleep at a reasonable price for Seward in the summertime. And we did have use of a full kitchen, which we took advantage of. Oooo ... how do you rate this one? I would stay here again if I had to ... OK ... well maybe I would stay again even if I didn't have to ... OK ... well maybe I wouldn't. It is definitely the worst hotel outwardly that I've stayed at in a long time, but I sort of enjoyed it. So, if you stay, don't set your expectations too high, but it is an experience you probably won't forget and probably won't regret. Would you remember the Best Western Hotel in Seward if you stayed there ... probably not ... but the Taroka ... probably yes. Enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family