Renfro's Lakeside Retreat
Marina Motel(Seward)
$59
Hotels.com
Good 3.5/5
Harbor 360 Hotel(Seward)(Great Value!)
$109
Taroka Inn(Seward)
Average 3/5
All reviewskenai lakepaddle boatsfire pitlake viewmoose passgreat rv parklife jacketscooper landingrv sitescooking utensilsfree kayakspiece of heavenbeautiful place to stayinternet accesslaundry facilitystayed nightswonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We spent a weekend here over labor day. What a nice, secluded cabin to get away in and just spend time with my husband. We used the grill every night and made a fire in the fire pit for s'mores and hot chocolate. Just great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelissaMA81
Gary G, Owner at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Labor Day - the last true summer get-a-way for most people and what a better way than to enjoy it with a loved one! The amenities such as the fire pit and charcoal grill are always a hit with the guests. I am thankful you took the time to write a review of the Retreat! Please come back again!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here on Aug 26th, 2013. I stayed in cabin # 8 in the woods. I booked it the day of in the afternoon so was happy just to find a nice spot. I had left Seward in a hurry because it was too cruiseshippy for me. This place was exactly what I wanted, a nice quiet cabin. I chose the cabin in the woods because it was more affordable and you can just walk to the lake. The lake was gorgous and had some beautiful driftwood. There were also some amazing mushrooms all around the property. The next day I also went on the Victor Creek Trail hike and had a great time. I spotted a juvenile Goshawk and it followed me for quite some time. Gary at the front desk was very helpful and recommended the hike. He also had bear spray for me to borrow, which was very convenient. He said there had been a few bear in the area but I didn't see any or even scat.

Room Tip: Plenty of hikes to do with in walking distance. Wifi is only at the reception area. Kitchenette is well supplied with coffee, tea etc. The bathroom also had shower gel, shampoo & conditioner.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

I am glad you were able to find us also! Most importantly, what you were looking for - a nice quite cabin. The Retreat is filled with mushrooms. I cannot say how many varieties there are, but if anyone wants to come to a mushroom smorgasbord, the retreat will offer the best viewing and picture taking around. The hike up Victor Creek is just across the Seward Highway from the Retreat and it has the most amazing view of the Kenai Lake! As you pointed out, it is only one of many in the immediate area. Thank you for the review!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Cabin #4 was in a beautiful location, in the woods, right on Kenai Lake, about 20 minutes outside the town of Seward. Very cozy, clean. Unfortunately it rained both of days there, but was still nice hearing the rain on the roof. No TV, no phones, no internet. But also no fire in the pit! Owner told us a bear was roaming the property but we didn't see him! As two friends travelling together we would have liked two full beds instead of the futon. But it all worked out just fine,

Room Tip: The cabins appeared to be about the same.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ksmee33

I am glad you found the cabin lovely, secluded, cozy and clean! Some nice adjectives to describe the Retreat! It is a place to unwind, thus we do not have t.v.'s or phones in the cabins. Internet is provided in the common areas of the property such as the R.V. park and lodge. I appreciate your review!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great choice for a family as it has bunk beds for two kids and a loft with a spectacular view for Mom and Dad. Don't forget the groceries! The kitchen is handy. It was a little bit more expensive then what we wanted to pay as a couple, but it was worth every penny for the view on the lake. And take note that Alaska is expensive so for that price and a family it is the best deal around.

Room Tip: Don't forget the groceries as the kitchen is well equipped and ready to go.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

We do not get many reviews for families and I am happy to see yours as the lakeside cabins are very suited for families in regards to the sleeping arrangements, cooking facilities, playground, and driftwood fort building. A big part of saving money is to buy your own groceries and cook in your cabin. I am glad you found this a great amenity for the family. More importantly, I appreciate your endorsement that it is the best deal around for the price for a family! Thank you for your endorsement!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

As others have said, I wish I had more time. The view, the furnishings, the woods/lake were all goose-bump stuff. The bed in the loft was so Alaska-ey (from my perception). Although we were only a short distance from Seward -- it was an escape from the touristy surroundings. Pictures don't do it justice.

Room Tip: Spend the extra few bucks for the lakeside cabins.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank William G W

I know, you are kicking yourself for not spending more time at the cabin! My hope is that others see your review and many more like it and schedule some down time at the cabin. It is a great place to escape from the touristy surroundings and just enjoy yourself on the front porch overlooking the lake. I appreciate your candid review!