“Very Cute!!”

Renfro's Lakeside Retreat
Ranked #1 of 46 Specialty Lodging in Seward
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My grouop and I stayed here for one night. Bummer, because the cabin was super cute!!! The owner greeted us and gave us a warm welcome. My cabin had a loft with a queen bed, and a bunk with a futon. It was very comfortable for 4 adults. We used the fire pit to make smores and enjoyed the great view of the lake. The cabins also include a small kitchenette with a stove and mini frig. We were able to have a great breakfast before leaving. The heater worked great. I liked being able to read prior guest comments in the journal on the kithen table.

I would definitely recommend this place to others and hopefully I will return one day.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Gary G, Owner at Renfro's Lakeside Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2017

I hope you return some day also! Thank you for the review. Many guests enjoy the journals in the cabins - they have been a great hit. I am so glad I added them as I get to discover a little insight into each guest that writes. It sounds like you were able to enjoy the fire pit and cooking amenities of the cabin. Next time you come, stay a little longer and enjoy the area, the cabin and the view! Thanks!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed in a lakefront cabin for four nights -- two adults and two kids. The setting is lovely. We had a cottage right on the lake. We tried fishing, but no luck. Nonetheless, it was lovely to sit out on the porch or make a fire at night. The cottage is small, but plenty adequate (although my kids would have been happier if it had internet access). There is internet at the registration cabin, but not the individual cabins. The kitchen is small, but has most everything. The owner is very friendly and helpful. This is a great location for hiking (lots of trails in the area) and is an easy drive into Seward for shopping or activities. I'd much rather stay here than in Seward itself, but you do need a car.

Room Tip: The lakefront cottages are great.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank KimandFamily4

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review! Those darn fish being sneaky like that - better luck next time. At least you had the view to fall back on. Yes are cabins are interference free - time to unplug and get together as a family. I hope you were able to get out on the trails and enjoy some solitude. Yes a car is needed to make it convenient to travel into Seward, unfortunately and fortunately we do not have mass transportation. Thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed at one of their cozy cabins, which are well furnished, spacious enough, and with a fully furnished kitchen. The setting is beautifull, just on the shore of a lake.
The location is also convenient, 20 minutes from Seward and 20 minutes from Coopers Landing.
In case you need a restaurant, you can either drive to Seward or to Moose pass, some 7 or 8 miles North.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review of the Retreat! I am glad you found the cabin to your liking with a gorgeous view and fully equipped kitchen. They were made to be self sufficient as we do not have any restaurants and or grocery store close by. We are in a rural setting in Alaska but only driving 20 minutes to town is nothing as most individuals do more than that daily just to get to work. Thank you again!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at one of the cabins that is off the lake for several nights. We arrived on a cold and rainy evening, but the cabin was pretty cozy and we were warm and toasty once we got the very efficient heater going. The cabin has a queen sized bed and a full-sized futon, so could sleep four if necessary. There is a full kitchen (including full-sized oven, not just toaster oven), and a large kitchen table.

Good hot shower, private full bathroom, pretty much everything you need to make a home away from home. The place is very clean, and all kitchen and cooking supplies were modern and clean. Towels were replaced every day, and trash was emptied, which I wasn't expecting but was a nice touch. Coffee and tea making supplies are provided. There is no wifi at the cabins, but there is (fairly slow) wifi at the office. There are laundry facilities, which were broken during our stay. You also have a barbecue and firepit with some garden chairs, which was a nice way to end the day. Shampoo, conditioner and body wash are supplied.

The only complaint I have is that the curtains were super thin and white, which didn't block the light at all. Was very glad to have our sleep masks, otherwise probably wouldn't have been able to sleep at all.

One caveat --even though the address is Seward, it's actually 20 miles out of town. This wasn't a problem for us at all as we actually only needed to go into town once during our stay, but if you have activities planned there every day, you need to build a 30-minute drive into town.

Would I stay here again? Definitely. It's a reasonable price (especially with full kitchen, which allowed us to shop at the Seward grocery store and save loads on eating out), and a great cozy home away from home.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing cabin #7 in the woods here at the Retreat! You included many items in your review and did a great job. I am glad you found the kitchen area more than sufficient. We continue to improve the WiFi, but we are located in a rural area of Alaska. Yes, that darn midnight sun here in Alaska - it is always advised to bring your eye masks as you may need them throughout your travels. When I remodel cabin #7 I will ensure that the window treatments are darker. Thank you for the feedback. Yes, a cabin very reasonably priced based on the amenities of the cabin and property. I hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I absolutely loved this clean and cozy cabin. There are not complaints. The bed was awesome and so was the extra bed/futon! They seemed like brand new and had everything we needed. The mountain view was to die for and we were close to Seward for our fishing trip. I WILL come back and hopefully get to fish Kenai Lake next time.

Room Tip: Bring charcoal and firewood!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank LizzyD16

Yes, the next time come back and fish the Kenai Lake - Dolly Varden, Lake Trout and Rainbow. I appreciate you taking the time to express how clean and cozy the cabin was along with enjoying the incredible views! Thanks again and I look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 1, 2012

What a great lakeside cabin!! Very cozy and comfortable. Loved the front porch and the view of the lake was beautiful !! We arrived late in the evening (it was still light) and had to leave early the next morning. Still regret not having longer to stay and enjoy the beautiful lake!!

Room Tip: If you have time ... stay an extra day to just relax and enjoy!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank DianeDieter

I am lucky to have you as a guest even if it was for a short period of time. I am glad you were able to enjoy what you could. Next time plan on staying a little longer! Thank you for the review!

Reviewed November 5, 2011

We had a 20ft trailer that we rented. We wanted a place to stay for the last 4 days of our two week vacation to AK. My wife wrote the owners and asked some questions. They were very helpful. When we arrived we were greated by a nice gentleman that was managing the RV sites. Him and his wife were very helpful. The restroom and shower were always spotless. The location is excellent. Close to Seward and easy to get to about everything on the Kenai Penn. The lake was peaceful and beautiful. It was too windy when we were there to go out on the peddle boats, but we had a good time sitting next to the lake eating lunch a few days. Also, this location probably had the best wifi connection out of all the places we stayed at in Alaska. I really miss this place and will stay there for sure if I am ever lucky enough to visit again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

I purchased the business the end of July 2011 so you are the first reviewer I had since taking the business over. I feel grateful to those that take the time to share with others about their experiences whether that is good or bad. If it is good, I know we are doing something right and we can improve on it. If it is bad, we have some work to do as we did not meet the expectations of our guest. I find that face to face communication is the best form to accept feedback - both positive and negative! With that being said, thank you for taking the time to review the r.v. park! I am glad you enjoyed your visit! Hopefully you will make it back someday!