“HUGE”

$93.38*
Gray Whale Watching Cruise
Ranked #18 of 55 things to do in Seward
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We went to Exit Glacier (hiking) and Bear Glacier (by cruise) and both are so different but both are a must see. Bear glacier is huge and really spectacular to see. We didn't even get that close in our ship and it was impossible to miss. This was one of the highlights of the cruise for sure.

3  Thank LindseyMac

Reviewed October 23, 2011

We took a few trips. Saw the glacier from a distance. I was awe-stuck. Next time will go closer.

1  Thank sara95
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and I went to Bear Glacier for a 4 hour kayaking trip. We left the Seward Airport on a helicopter going out with Adventure Sixty North. We landed right on the beach and jumped into kayaks and were paddling around massive icebergs for a few hours. When we pulled in, it was extremely foggy, but that almost created a more unique scene. A lot of the fog eventually lifted, giving us a good view of Bear Glacier itself, along with some of the surrounding mountains. Along the way, we were lucky enough to catch the back end of an iceberg calving, and we also saw about a dozen seals along the way too, which use the area as protection from any predators in the vicinity.

The only ways into bear glacier are by boat in difficult waters and at only the perfect timing of the tides. The other way is via a very quick and comfortable helicopter ride. One or two water taxi companies try to do the former, and I believe Adventure Sixty North is the only who does the latter.

8  Thank tshell01
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This was an amazing kayaking trip. I used Seward Water Taxi to get my gear and kayaks out to the glacier on day one, kayaked for four hours, set up camp on the beach, and kayaked the second day for another five hours. The water taxi picked us up at high tide on the second day and took us back to Seward. We kayaked among icebergs, through the glacier lake, and all the way up to bear glacier. The scenery was awesome.

6  Thank atoll-lover
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Upon arriving to the harbor in Seward, the Seward Water Taxi and Captain Louis Garding were waiting for us at the dock (I'm a stickler for being punctual so this was an immediate plus). He was super friendly and excited to help us load our gear onto his boat. The boat ride was warm and comfortable and along the way I looked at the extensive collection of maps of Resurrection Bay and surrounding areas that were in the cabin. I am not familiar with the wildlife in Alaska, so it was really neat that Captain Garding pointed out the birds and marine animals along the way! Half of our group was inexperienced kayakers, so when we landed and unloaded our things, Captain Garding gave us some basic tips on handling our kayaks, as well as how to navigate the river and where to go to access the lake in front of the glacier. Also, we didn't even have to get our feet wet when he dropped us on the beach. The boat just pulled right up to the beach and we off loaded our gear with comfort and ease. Without his advice our trip would have taken a lot longer and been a lot more physically demanding!!
Kayaking with the icebergs in front of the glacier was out of this world. We all kept saying, 'oh my goodness, I can't believe how amazing this is...' It truly felt like we were in a fantasy land. The views of the ice and the moutains were spectacular, and we had the whole place to ourselves!
Previous to this trip, I went on a day cruise with one of the local tour companies out to Aialik Glaciar....we were on a huge boat with a ton of people. It was a beautiful day, but I felt like we were in a theme park because it was so generic and crowded. Our trip with Alaskan Coastal Safari was so personal and special, I would recommend this company to anyone wanting to make the most of their trip to Seward and Alaska!
Overall, I am more than impressed with Alaskan Coastal Safari/Seward Water Taxi! We definitley got the most bang for our buck and I can't wait to come back up to Alaska and explore more of Resurrection Bay :)

15  Thank Olive96822