“Too delicious to miss.”

and 1 more site!
Northern Nights Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I would echo the comments of the previous reviewer. Our experience at Northern Nights was excellent. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The room was cleaned and the towels were changed daily. Marilyn is a wonderful cook/baker.The blueberry pancakes, fresh cranberry muffins, carrot cake and chocolate chip cookies were a big hit. Make sure to try some homemade fireweed jelly. (Don't stay here if you're on a diet.) We appreciated Marilyn and Don's advice about local attractions. We would have mistakenly given the Sea Life Center a pass had we not had listened to their recommendation to tour the facility. Northern Nights was one of our favorite places to stay in Alaska and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Northern Nights Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed three nights at Northern Nights B&B and had a great time there. I actually did not see any reviews before booking my reservation because I did it through a third-party and therefore was not sure what to expect of a bed and breakfast. We arrived to Seward around 8pm and the check-in process was quick. We were shown to our room upstairs (Holgate Glacier) which has a queen size bed, sofa, end table, and private bath within the room. Towels, soap, shampoo are all provided and there's plenty of space for our luggage. The room was really nicely decorated - it has a homey feel to it and we were very pleased when we saw it.

Most of what I write will probably be very similar to other reviewers. There is a sign-up sheet for breakfast so that each guest can have a different breakfast time. Breakfast consisted of cakes, fruit, juice, water, and our first day we had french toast with sausage links. Our second day we had blueberry pancakes and bacon. For our third day, Don asked if we would like scrambled eggs and hash browns as they try to always vary breakfast for multi-day guests. This was incredibly thoughtful but we enjoyed very much what they had served before and so asked for the french toast again. Cereal and oatmeal was also available if you like and essentially, I feel that if there's something you specifically want, you can just ask and Marilyn will try to provide it for you.

Our first night, we slept a bit poorly mainly because we were not used to a bed and breakfast and there were other guests who arrived later and were downstairs talking that we could hear. When I need to be somewhere early the next morning, I sleep very lightly and so any noise wakes me up. However, the next two nights, we had a fan that we turned on and it helped a lot to drown out any noise. Marilyn comes every day to tidy up the room and provide fresh towels if you'd like. Like other people have said, snacks are always available for you (chips, apples, bananas, cakes, cookies) and a refrigerator with bottled water and soda is available on each floor for you to take. At least two of the 3 days I saw Marilyn making all the baked goods from scratch so I know they are fresh. Marilyn actually packed us cakes and cookies as snacks for our first day when we went kayaking and on our last day, she sent us off with lots of goodies as well. We didn't have a chance to talk too much with them our first two days just because of our schedule but we had a wonderful time chatting with them on the third day and had delicious cake and ice cream. They are always offering things to us and it's a great way to spend your time exchanging stories.

With respect to amenities, they bought a larger tv for the family/general area a few months ago (so I don't think it's small) for anyone to watch. There is also a smaller tv in the kitchen tuned to the SeaLife channel which provides live feed of marine animal activity off an island and is really cool to see the sea lions. For those who complain about a lack of tv in their room, I'm not sure why you would want to watch tv when there's so many other things to do around Seward. There is free wifi for all if you need to check email or make a quick Skype call to family. Otherwise, do be aware that there are two small dogs in case one is allergic. Individual thermostats are provided for each room but this is only for heating as temperatures don't get hot enough to need a/c. There are lots of books available for you to read and for the paperbacks, you are free to take or trade any because they are all leftover from previous guests.

I'm not sure if I covered everything but really I had a truly wonderful time. Thanks so much to Marilyn and Don who made our stay so enjoyable. I actually felt sad to say goodbye and if I'm ever in Seward again, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jorlan
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed two nights with Don and Marilyn and the room was nice and comfortable. The food was excellent and there was a lot of it. You can also pick your breakfast time which was a nice treat. There was always an abundance of snacks on the table and you were welcome to take them with you for your day trips. The only thing that bothered me was that they have a dog and this was not mentioned when we were making our reservations. Being alergic to dogs, I had to stay in my room except to grab a quick breakfast. Because the only tv available for guests was in the common room downstairs, this meant I had to just sit in the room once we got back to the B&B (good thing I had a laptop). Again, other than the dog, this was a nice place to stay and the hosts were really welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Six of us, 3 couples decided to stay with Don and Marilyn's B&B last week for 2 nights during our visit to Seward last week. We have stayed at B&B in England, Europe, and Canada in the past. We'd rate this amongst the top in every respect. We're felt welcome from the start. The fire place kept the place quite warm and we welcomed that much because it had been raining and a little bit cool for us the first evening. We wanted to have some wine before dinner and right away Marilyn took out her best wine glasses, and cheese and crackers and nuts for us. Don shared wine with us and he is one of the most interesting individual you want to have conversation with. The following evening we enjoyed another bottle of wine with Don and once again very interesting talk. Our group enjoyed everybit of our stay and we'd highly recommend the place any time. HNM and the group

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was my second visit and took the family this time (daughter, son-in-law and grandson). We all enjoyed it very much. We were made to feel welcome by the owners, Don and Marilyn and felt very comfortable there. The food was abundant and wonderful. Marilyn cooked a lot of fresh cakes and cookies and there were always snacks and beverages available-they were happy to pack some snacks for the road and when we went on a boat tour. The living room and TV was available to us while we were there and we were able to use the internet. There were many books available for reference or to take, borrow or trade. You can easily walk to the stores and the Sea Life Center. There is a nice playground for kids nearby. I'd gladly stay there on another visit to Seward.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Many other reviewers mention Great Breakfast, close to downtown, friendly/helpful hosts (and cute dogs), lots of fruit/cookies/drinks,etc >> I Concur fully and don't need to elaborate anymore. :)
Snacks were always fresh. We stayed 2 nights in Exit Glacier room on first floor. It had a private bath but was just outside the bedroom door (See Photo).
The TV in the common room was very small, but we didn't use it too much.
It is block away from the water, also and near the free shuttle around Seward (easy to get to the Safeway).
Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Don and Marilyn allowed us to check in early as we arrived on the train around 11 am. It was very helpful to be able to wash up and drop our luggage after 4.5 hours of sitting on the train. We stayed in the Aialik Glacier room on the second floor. Marilyn and Don Sullivan have remodeled the home to accommodate their B&B. The room had a queen bed and futon which had been made up for our son. It was the perfect size accommodation for our needs. A private bathroom was accessed from the room and included a shower/tub with plenty of hot water. The window had been opened before our arrival to air things out. A fan is available, but no air conditioning since things rarely get hot enough to merit it. There was a comfortable couch, small table with chairs, a bookshelf and bedside table.

A small refrigerator with bottled water and soda was on the landing. Small bags of chips, bananas, freshly baked cookies and coffee cake were available in the dining room. Don and Marilyn encouraged us to take snacks with us on our adventures and even sent a bag of cookies with us for our Resurrection Bay cruise.

The location was convenient to the Alaska Sea Life Center and all downtown restaurants, shopping, and sights. Waterfront Park with a lovely playground is within easy walking distance for those with rambunctious younger children. We were able to use the Seward.com shuttle to get close to the house after our train ride (the stop at the Skate Park is the closest to the house). But we also found it to be a pleasant coastal walk to the harbor area (about 30 minutes to the Smoke Shack in the rain with a cranky five year old).

We found the beds to be very comfortable and the room to be quiet even though the window faces a road.

Breakfast is served 6-9 and we let Don and Marilyn know what time we'd like to eat. Another guest was eating later and we appreciated the flexibility. The full spread was amazing and a great start to our day: blueberry pancakes, link sausage, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, cantaloupe, fresh peaches, watermelon, bananas, cold cereal, orange juice, milk, coffee...I feel certain I'm leaving something out, but can't imagine what. Everything was delicious, fresh, flavorful, and abundant.

Guests with allergies should be aware that there are two small dogs at the house. They were kept downstairs during our visit. We didn't see any signs of dog hair in our room, so I'm sure the hosts work hard to keep fur under control.

We enjoyed talking with Don and Marilyn. They have done a lot of traveling themselves and are avid Harley riders. They have lived in Seward for over thirty years and had lots of interesting tidbits to share. They keep current on all the local restaurants and attractions and are able to provide recommendations as needed.

During our 17 years living in Alaska, we have stayed in quite a few bed and breakfast, and usually find it to be a disappointing experience. Northern Nights was exactly the opposite. We were very pleased with the entire visit and will try to stay there again on our next visit to Seward.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family