“Simply the Best B&B in Seward”

and 1 more site!
Northern Nights Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Six of us, 3 couples decided to stay with Don and Marilyn's B&B last week for 2 nights during our visit to Seward last week. We have stayed at B&B in England, Europe, and Canada in the past. We'd rate this amongst the top in every respect. We're felt welcome from the start. The fire place kept the place quite warm and we welcomed that much because it had been raining and a little bit cool for us the first evening. We wanted to have some wine before dinner and right away Marilyn took out her best wine glasses, and cheese and crackers and nuts for us. Don shared wine with us and he is one of the most interesting individual you want to have conversation with. The following evening we enjoyed another bottle of wine with Don and once again very interesting talk. Our group enjoyed everybit of our stay and we'd highly recommend the place any time. HNM and the group

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was my second visit and took the family this time (daughter, son-in-law and grandson). We all enjoyed it very much. We were made to feel welcome by the owners, Don and Marilyn and felt very comfortable there. The food was abundant and wonderful. Marilyn cooked a lot of fresh cakes and cookies and there were always snacks and beverages available-they were happy to pack some snacks for the road and when we went on a boat tour. The living room and TV was available to us while we were there and we were able to use the internet. There were many books available for reference or to take, borrow or trade. You can easily walk to the stores and the Sea Life Center. There is a nice playground for kids nearby. I'd gladly stay there on another visit to Seward.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Many other reviewers mention Great Breakfast, close to downtown, friendly/helpful hosts (and cute dogs), lots of fruit/cookies/drinks,etc >> I Concur fully and don't need to elaborate anymore. :)
Snacks were always fresh. We stayed 2 nights in Exit Glacier room on first floor. It had a private bath but was just outside the bedroom door (See Photo).
The TV in the common room was very small, but we didn't use it too much.
It is block away from the water, also and near the free shuttle around Seward (easy to get to the Safeway).
Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Don and Marilyn allowed us to check in early as we arrived on the train around 11 am. It was very helpful to be able to wash up and drop our luggage after 4.5 hours of sitting on the train. We stayed in the Aialik Glacier room on the second floor. Marilyn and Don Sullivan have remodeled the home to accommodate their B&B. The room had a queen bed and futon which had been made up for our son. It was the perfect size accommodation for our needs. A private bathroom was accessed from the room and included a shower/tub with plenty of hot water. The window had been opened before our arrival to air things out. A fan is available, but no air conditioning since things rarely get hot enough to merit it. There was a comfortable couch, small table with chairs, a bookshelf and bedside table.

A small refrigerator with bottled water and soda was on the landing. Small bags of chips, bananas, freshly baked cookies and coffee cake were available in the dining room. Don and Marilyn encouraged us to take snacks with us on our adventures and even sent a bag of cookies with us for our Resurrection Bay cruise.

The location was convenient to the Alaska Sea Life Center and all downtown restaurants, shopping, and sights. Waterfront Park with a lovely playground is within easy walking distance for those with rambunctious younger children. We were able to use the Seward.com shuttle to get close to the house after our train ride (the stop at the Skate Park is the closest to the house). But we also found it to be a pleasant coastal walk to the harbor area (about 30 minutes to the Smoke Shack in the rain with a cranky five year old).

We found the beds to be very comfortable and the room to be quiet even though the window faces a road.

Breakfast is served 6-9 and we let Don and Marilyn know what time we'd like to eat. Another guest was eating later and we appreciated the flexibility. The full spread was amazing and a great start to our day: blueberry pancakes, link sausage, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, cantaloupe, fresh peaches, watermelon, bananas, cold cereal, orange juice, milk, coffee...I feel certain I'm leaving something out, but can't imagine what. Everything was delicious, fresh, flavorful, and abundant.

Guests with allergies should be aware that there are two small dogs at the house. They were kept downstairs during our visit. We didn't see any signs of dog hair in our room, so I'm sure the hosts work hard to keep fur under control.

We enjoyed talking with Don and Marilyn. They have done a lot of traveling themselves and are avid Harley riders. They have lived in Seward for over thirty years and had lots of interesting tidbits to share. They keep current on all the local restaurants and attractions and are able to provide recommendations as needed.

During our 17 years living in Alaska, we have stayed in quite a few bed and breakfast, and usually find it to be a disappointing experience. Northern Nights was exactly the opposite. We were very pleased with the entire visit and will try to stay there again on our next visit to Seward.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We had a wonderful two nights staying with Don and Marilyn. Great breakfasts cooked to order (thanks, Don!) and a bottomless cookie jar (thanks, Marilyn!) that we raided with great enthusiasm. They have many thoughtful touches througout the house that make your stay so comfortable! We appreciated the little fridge on our floor stocked with bottled water and pop, as well as the snacks always out on the table. The room was very comfortable and quiet. We never heard the other guests. The whole place is immaculately clean. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I can recommend this place for the location and that's it. It is located just a couple of blocks from the Sealife Center, the harbor, and the couple of blocks of restaurants and shops that make up "downtown" Seward. The town is interesting--there are as many bars as anything else (the kind with no front windows). There are a few restaurants, and if this is your first stop in Alaska, the prices will induce sticker shock even for East Coast city dwellers. You can get a cab to Exit Glacier for $50 round trip, which gives you a nice hike and view. We also saw a black bear along the highway on the way out there.

What was very disappointing about this B&B was the strange experience we had with being served moldy food. I took a bite of a piece of cake and found myself staring at a large fuzzy greyish piece of mold. Gag. I showed it to the proprietor (only the husband of this husband/wife team was there that weekend), who was standing nearby, thinking he'd want to remedy the situation before any other guests had the same yucky experience of a mouthful of moldy cake, but he just looked at the fuzzy mold spot and said, "Oh that's just a nut," and made no move to check the rest of the pieces on the tray. I said, "I've never seen a fuzzy grey nut before." I would have just dropped it, but then my elderly mother started to reach for a piece so I went over to look at the other pieces on the tray and they were all moldy around the edges. Needless to say at this point I was gagging. I told my mother about the mold (which she hadn't seen) and only then did the proprietor come over and take the plate away--almost in a huff. He never acknowledged the mold or even apologized. In fact, he made a big deal of sounding like he was only removing the plate as a favor to me, so that even my father (who had been talking to him in the kitchen) was confused as to what was going on. It was really, really weird.

I was still hungry, but too grossed out by having eaten very moldy cake to risk any other of the offerings. However, thinking I couldn't possibly have the same bad experience twice, and wanting to give the proprietor the benefit of the doubt, I went back up to sample a piece of banana bread. I put it on a napkin and took it into the living room to eat it, however I looked at it before taking a bite. Thank goodness I did because it was ALSO moldy all around the edges. I showed it to my mother and sister who were also staying there. They were pretty grossed out. None of us tried any more of that food.

The second bed in our bedroom was a really rickety fold out thing that was very uncomfortable. I've done a lot of camping and it would have been more comfortable to have had a sleeping bag on the carpeted floor.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank ZukiMini
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Great food, hosts, location, anything and everything you could want in a Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends