“Bucket List Trip.”

$35.00*
and up
Exit Glacier Naturalist Hike
More attraction details
Owner description: We're excited that 2016 marks our 12th year guiding adventurous travelers onto Exit Glacier and into other amazing locales around Seward. Our company created guided glacier trips in Seward, and we've spent a decade honing our focus on safety and creating amazing client experiences. Our biggest asset is our amazing staff. We are a seasonal business that has been fortunate enough to have our experienced staff come back year after year, which is very rare for our industry. Hope to see you in Seward!
Denver, Colorado, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Bucket List Trip.”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My boyfriend and I went up to Alaska for 12 days this summer to camp and explore. The first 5 days of our trip was spent in Seward. While we thoroughly enjoyed kayaking, fishing and the other activities Seward and the Kenai had to offer, our trip with Exit Glacier Guides was by far the highlight of the trip, if not all of our past travels.

We are generally active and like to explore different things when we travel and this glacier trip was absolutely different! You can see the glaciers when you are driving or on the train, but you cannot fully appreciate the scale of these massive ice hunks until you are actually out ON (in!) the ice.

We did the the hike and climb trip. Julian was our guide. He was incredibly knowledgeable about the glacier, the history of the landscape, the ecosystem, alaska...and it made the hike up to the glacier wonderful. He ever stopped along the trail to point out and pick edible berries for us to eat! Once we got to the glacier, we strapped on crampons (foot spikes) and headed on to the ice for a climbing tutorial. I was pretty hesitant about the climbing, but my boyfriend took to it immediately. The climbing we did, into the glacier crevasses, was unlike anything either of us have ever experienced and we have some incredible photos to prove it. Deep inside the crevasses is like another world. Climbing back up is tough, but soooooo worth it.

Our guide was always focused on us, and was aware of our risk tolerances and comfort levels. And, being a photographer himself, he also helped to point out great photo ops so we could capture each other climbing on film!

Climbing a glacier was never on my bucket list, but it absolutely should have been!! This trip was absolutely amazing. A must-do activity, without a doubt.

I would highly recommend bringing warm layers, including waterproof and/or extra gloves. Also, extra snacks if you tend to be a hungry person.

3 Thank Ali V

Washington DC, District of Columbia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I did the Ice Hiking tour while in Seward, and it was terrific. The company was well organized and had good gear for us to use. Our guide, Shauna, was friendly, experienced, and took great care of us. She paid extra attention to my wife, who was 5 months pregnant at the time (the most pregnant person they've ever taken to the glacier!). The hike is moderately strenuous with some steep sections, but it is an enjoyable hike through forest and over rocks, with some great glacier views. But obviously the highlight is strapping on the crampons and heading onto the ice itself. Shauna was very aware of our safety at all times as we hiked around crevasses, moraines, and other features. We got great views of the deep blue ice. Being on the ice is very different from viewing glaciers from afar.
If you only have one day in Seward, and won't be hiking on any other glacier during your trip, then this is the thing to do.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The best part of our trip!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My friend and I wanted to experience the glacier and so we chose to spend two days on the ice. The first day we ice hiked Exit Glacier with the help of our knowledgable, friendly and handsome guide Keith! He answered our many questions and he encouraged us. The next day we requested Keith again for a helicopter ride to Godwin Glacier and an ice climb there. Despite being scared to climb in a moulin, I overcame my fear and loved every minute of it. I recommend both tours to anyone looking to experience something new and exciting. I will never forget the thrill!

Huntington, West Virginia
“A Wow Experience”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The trip begins by picking up very well organized gear and snacks at the office then its off to the glacier for an absolutely beautiful hike to the glacier the hike crosses a footbridge over water and climbs through stunning hills and meadows filled with wildflowers. Stunning vistas along the way make for a good break and an opportunity for the guide to give information about the land features and plants. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable about ecology including the glacier and surrounding plant life. If taking the ice climbing trip the first steps over the side can make you a little nervous, but the guides will make you feel very confident and comfortable with techniques and equipment. They also provided encouragement and feedback the entire climb back up. Being out on the glacier and exploring its various features was one of the most amazing experiences I have had.

Dallas, Texas
11 attraction reviews
“Ice Climbing a Kick”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I looked for something totally different while on business in Alaskap and i found it! Knowledgeable, friendly guides have your gear ready to go when you arrive. You get fitted for boots,crampons(the ice cleats that attach to your boot bottoms) and a harness and off you go. A short hike up to the glacier and you get a good tutorial on walking on ice with crampons. You follow your guides onto the ice, get comfortable, then its time to learn how to climb! Another tutorial and some practice on a short wall and you are ready to try the crevasses. The guides are there all the time and they prepare for all skill levels so you don't feel above your head (unless you want to be). Challenging and fun and other wordly at the bottom of a cravasse, highly recommended. Jamie(Mr. Pants), Bailey and Piper were great.