“Perfect!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seward
Bear Lake Lodgings B&B
Ranked #2 of 46 Seward B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Bear Lake lodge in March 2012. The hosts, Pat and Dennis, were very nice. They explained the facilities of the house patiently even though we got there late. Also, they provided helpful information on activities that we could do in winter, so we did snowshoeing on the Bear Lake. We had so much fun when staying at Seward. The breakfast Pat made was so yummy, and so was the homemade ice cream! We will definitely pay a visit again in summer time!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
AKFlyFishGirl, Owner at Bear Lake Lodgings B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Winter travelers are such a treat in Alaska - especially ones with a thirst for outdoor adventures - like you and your group. I think I had as much fun hosting your wonderful group of international college graduate students as you had staying with us. Seward is working on trying to attract more visitors in the winter months - we should have made a movie of the many activities your group under took. Your photos of your trip truly showcase Alaska's winter beauty. I too, hope your come back and see our state in it's full summer beauty! That, of course, includes another stay here at Bear Lake! I promise the fish you'll catch in the summer are MUCH BIGGER!!!!

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was our first experience staying in a B&B. We really enjoyed our stay at Bear Lake Lodge. Beautiful setting just a few miles from Seward. Accommodations were really nice and our hosts were great. Breakfast was a special event each morning. Enjoyed sitting and talking with Dennis in the evening and listening to all his great Alaska stories and adventures. We'd definitely stay there again if we can get a one of the rooms with a private bath. The Resurrection Peak room on the 3rd floor was a little too hot for me but we opened the window wide open at night and let the icy cold air in and it was comfortable.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room/suite with a private bath. Rooms that share the bathroom are on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Experiencing a Bed and Breakfast stay is such a different accommodations option to a traditional hotel/motel. It's wonderful to hear when a newbie to the B&B choice really likes their experience and has now found a much more fun way to travel.

Our accommodations have two suites with private baths and they do book up fast, though our two rooms on the third floor offer a nice savings on the rate for sharing the bath. Our home was built as a family residence and converted to a B&B, this limited some of the re-fit on space and plumbing. We try our best to minimize and problems with sharing a bath - guests are provided with their own lodge comfy bath robes, tub mats, bath mats and extra wall hooks and full closets in the rooms. The shared bath receives a full sanitizing cleaning each day from our housekeeping staff. We are changing our policies for 2013 to limit parents sharing a room with children under 12 years to the suites only. I feel this might have been a problem for the guest during one evening of their stay. We have noticed this as a problem and wish to remain a children friendly B&B, but with some modifications.

We appreciate the comments about our heating situation for the 3rd floor - we found that we had a stuck zone value and it has since been repaired by our local plumber. Thankfully, it's usually easy to cool a room in Alaska!

We appreciate our guest comments so we can make changes for future guests comfort and pleasure in their stay. Thank you for your comments!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

My wife and I had a great stay. She is pregnant and found the bed very comfortable. The owners were very friendly, their dog Trooper was so gentle, the apple french toast breakfast was extremely tasty. 2 eagles started building a nest on the other side of the road! Beautiful area. We will stay with them again if the need arises.

Room Tip: For Lakeside Suite, private bath is down the hall.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
AKFlyFishGirl, Owner at Bear Lake Lodgings B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Very happy you found the new queen mattress in the Lakeside Suite comfortable. We had just put in a new mattress in the suite and added the memory foam topper. Guests and US, all love sleeping on the memory foam mattress toppers - good to hear they work well for pregnant guests too!
The eagles are still dropping into the new nest we found during this guests' stay. It is slowly getting larger and will be interesting to watch it grow throughout the summer. Lots of birds are already appearing around our lake environment - this morning our guests spotted 3 eagles across the lake and we saw the first swallows of the season. Swallows are a sure sign that summer is here for Seward!

Reviewed January 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the lodge in May 2011. It was very nice and enjoyable. We did not have a private bathroom which was shared with another room on the floor but it did not prove to be a problem at all. We really enjoyed the homemade ice cream which was so delicious. I made sure to come back early each night to get some but what we most appreciated was having the use of kayaks on the lakes. We were able to take them out one morning and it was my husband's favorite experience in all of Alaska. It was so beautiful and peaceful on Bear Lake.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ana_belle03

We couldn't ask for much better comments from a guest. It's heart warming to know that guests have experienced the beauty of the area that hold us here. Summer or winter, Bear Lake offers solitude, untouched natural beauty and quiet activity options, all just steps from the lodge.

Yes, our hand dipped ice cream bars are "THE BEST" in all Alaska, and maybe - of anywhere. Tough to believe, 2012 will be my 30th year as a food vendor with The Original Gourmet Ice Cream Bars - it's hard to find an Alaskan who hasn't eaten one! They really are - just that decadently delicious! Our nightly ice cream time, 8:00 - 8:30 PM, has guests eating dinner in town and rushing back for dessert - or just having "dessert first" and than out to dinner! With Alaska's long summer days, either option works great - just don't miss the ice cream bars - made to order in pure chocolate!

Always good to get comments on the shared bath option for the guests staying in the 3rd floor rooms. With only the 2 rooms on that floor sharing the bath, it's surprised most guests how convenient it worked out. Guests are offered use of our lush and comfy bathrobes to make the shared bath an easy and cost saving option for travelers.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed in the Bear Lake Suite for four nights in August 2011, and could not have been happier. The B&B is in a great location for activities in Seward plus lots of great hiking and fishing. The accommodations are comfortable and the food is outstanding. We were curious about the situation with the bathroom down the hall, but as the other reviews mention, its close, is not in a highly-traveled area and worked out fine. While we were there, Dennis entertained us with stories from the years of piloting and living in Alaska, and he was extremely helpful with bear-safety information and paraphernalia. Janine was an outstanding hostess, and accompanied me on a kayak venture to watch the fishing bears when I couldn't convince my husband to climb into a kayak--watching brown bears and an eagle were certainly a highlight of my trip! We are planning to make another trip back through Alaska in the next few summers, and will absolutely be stopping by again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My wife and I visited at the beginning of July 2011. We stayed in the resurrection peak room for two nights. The bed was very comfortable and we had a great view of the lake. The location is just outside of town. We had a car and it was very easy getting back and forth from town. I booked this B&B based off the strong reviews on Trip Advisor. The lodging exceed expectations. The owners and inn-keepers were very pleasant and accommodating. We had two early excursions while in Seward and were going to miss our hot breakfasts, however, they woke up a little early both mornings to ensure that we would get our nice hot breakfast. The ice cream bars at night were also superb.
As nice as the house and service was, the best part of all was the lake and the kayaks. The beginning of July brought about a local Salmon run and as a result the wildlife on the lake was outstanding. My wife and I went out on the water the first night we were there and were lucky enough to see a bear fishing. The second night we saw another bear as well as about 7 eagles in the trees and flying around waiting for the Bear's salmon scraps. Our final morning I woke up at 4AM (it was bright out!) and I decided to go out on the water one last time. My wife slept in and missed out. I came across 2 moose, 2 bears, and about 17 eagles on the beach and in the surrounding trees. I had a blast observing the animals and photographing them. At one point the bear made a charge toward the moose. It ended up being a false charge however. The moose didn't even flinch. The eagle's were jockeying for Salmon carcasses. At one point a mature bald eagle swooped in and got the fish. Soon after you could see 10 eagles chasing the lucky eagle across the lake in an attempt to steal breakfast back.
If I return to Alaska I will undoubtedly stay here!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed at the Bear Lake Lodgings B&B in early Sept. We really had a great time and the B&B was great. We were at the B&B for 3 days and did not meet the owners - (Pat and Dennis ?). The person that was running the B&B when we were there - Janine - has since left for the season. Janine was fantastic and made the B&B feel like home. I can't give any opinion on who's running it now but it was great when we were there. We made some great friends and enjoyed the facility greatly. We plan to return next year and hopefull our stay will be great again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
AKFlyFishGirl, Owner at Bear Lake Lodgings B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2011

We are very happy to hear when a guest has enjoyed their stay enough to want to return next year! Sorry that our lives are quite busy in the summer season and we are not able to meet all our awesome guests. Our website gives a little view into our summer lives with our ice cream business at special events and Dennis full-time employment in Seward.

August is Alaska's state fair month with three great fairs throughout the state - some of our guests have come to visit and/or meet me at the various fairs - Tanana Valley State Fair in Fairbanks, Kenai Peninsula State Fair in Ninilchik and the big one - Alaska State Fair in Palmer with the world famous giant vegetables. I always recommend guests to not miss the totally unique state fairs - and look for me (Pat) there. Dennis is often helping me on his weekends with the ice cream business.

All our guests get the opportunity to taste our ice cream bars as we hand dip them nightly for our guests. It has proven to be an enjoyable experience for the guests - a time to meet other guests, hear the stories from the days' adventures and relax with follow travelers.

Though we might not be at the B&B we do have "The Best Innkeepers" in charge of our guests accommodations. Our sister-in-law, with a Home Economics degree (same as me) was the last half of summer season Innkeeper, Janine. Next summer, our very popular Innkeeper, Ginny, as mentioned in lots of our reviews for 2010, will be returning to host our guests in our absence and assist when we are in the house too. Ginny's middle name - must be "Hospitality" as she has the most gracious spirit.

We look forward to your return to Seward and especially to Bear Lake - you will see some changes as the lodge has grown again! We will post new photos of the expansion on TripAdvisor as we approach completion.