“Fun Family Day!”

$139.00*
and up
The Real Alaska Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Mush the 2017 Iditarod champion sled dogs! Visit Seavey's IdidaRide racing kennel, where four generations of the Seavey family and 100 of the toughest dogs in the world train during the summer months. You'll be helping train their 46th Iditarod team for their 4th championship. Cuddle the adorable husky puppies, try on the gear worn when it's 40 below, and get a pawtograph from their Golden Harness winning lead dogs. Sleds with padded seats and suspension, fully covered tour, and dog themed gift shop make this the most fun you can have in Seward in the rain. Voted "Best Sled Dog Ride in Alaska" by readers of the Alaska Magazine.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We toured the Seavey's IdidaRide Sled Dog facility. We were able to meet the newest additions, the puppies, which I think was my daughter's favorite part. We were pulled by 16 dogs and were able to meet and spend time with lots of well loved animals. It was a fun family day. We also took a tour to the Glaciers thru Seavey's. Our tour guide, Joe, took extra time with us and brought us to where the Salmon come through and are counted. My daughter got to participate with sorting the salmon. He took his time on the hike to the glaciers and was very knowledgeable about the area. I would highly recommend doing both through Seavey's. It even included a great lunch at a local restaurant that was fantastic. I can not say enough about what a great experience it was for the whole family!!!!

3  Thank Jsbkelly

Reviewed September 7, 2012

If you love dogs then this adventure is for you. My family and I love dogs and this turned out better than expected. Seavey had around 85 dogs and they explained how they run the Iditarod every year. This year Dallas Seavey won the race. They actually hook up a 16 dog team and take you for a ride on a converted cart (since it was August and no snow on the ground for them to use a sled) through the woods. After the sled ride, they take you to were the puppies are and you can hold and play with the puppies, which my family loved. You can ask the guide questions and he seemed to have all the answers, which was nice because I learned alot about what it takes to do the race on a yearly bases. Our bus driver was excellent, you could tell he loved his job and where he lived. He gave us the history of Seward and explained the race up Marathon Mountain every 4th of July. We had lunch at a lodge that was excellent. After lunch, the guide took us to Exit Glacier visitor center and you could walk up to the glacier which was about a 2 mile round trip walk. I had two elderly people with me and they were determined to make the walk, but it was a struggle in some locations on the trail. The only complaint I have is the write up I read implied that the dog sled ride would take us up to Exit Glacier, which was not the case. There was another lady in our group who was under the same impression and her Mother could not make the walk so she waited in the visitor center until we returned. I may not have booked this adventure if I had known that my Mom and Step Mom would have to walk up to Exit Glacier if they wanted to see it. I am glad I did book it though and they were proud of themselves that they made the walk up to the glacier.

3  Thank redhead1009
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We did the kennel tour, which was included with our stay at the Abode Well Cabins. Both were excellent. This is a real, working sled dog operation, breeding and training champion sled dogs. It's not a disneyland attraction, but it is fascinating. You visit the huge kennel with dozens of dogs in their own little huts, see the racing gear that won the Iditarod, hold some tiny sled dog puppies, and meet the friendly ambassador dog, Robin. Well worth it.

1  Thank Josh M
Reviewed September 1, 2012

We booked a tour as part of our stop in Seward. Our family (M,D,11 & 8) left the tour having had a great time and knowing so much more about Alaskan sled dogs. Adults were $69 and kids were $34.50 and the entire tour lasted almost exactly 1 1/2 hours. Dress for the weather it will be cool and rainy (but you are already in AK so you know this already). The tour starts with a little speech about the operation and moves quickly onto a tour of the kennels. You get a ride on a wheeled sled and finish with a chance to pet the puppies (sooooo cute) . There is a little presentation in a shelter where they show you all of the equipment and demonstrate how a musher prepares and runs a race. They pick a kid from the crowd to dress up and they have one of the dogs on stage to show how they dress to. All in all an amazing must do tour if you are in Seward!

1  Thank Kdog D
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We took the tour at Seaveys on a misty morning with abount seven others. After a brief talk about the Iditarod, we were taken to an area where there were dozens of dogs chained to plastic barrels - a somewhat unnerving sight. the dogs got quite agitated as they knew they would be running soon.

We took the dog sled ride through the forest and then went to see the puppies and a brief film about the race.

The tour was a little expensive ($69) and a little lacking in details/background on the race as our guide had no first hand knowledge.