“Worth the Visit”

$79.98*
and up
Wilderness Dog Sled Ride and Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Mush the 2013 Iditarod champion sled dogs! Visit Seavey's IdidaRide racing kennel, where four generations of the Seavey family and 100 of the toughest dogs in the world train during the summer months. You'll be helping train their 46th Iditarod team for their 4th championship. Cuddle the adorable husky puppies, try on the gear worn when it's 40 below, and get a pawtograph from their Golden Harness winning lead dogs. Sleds with padded seats and suspension, fully covered tour, and dog themed gift shop make this the most fun you can have in Seward in the rain. Voted "Best Sled Dog Ride in Alaska" by readers of the Alaska Magazine.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Worth the Visit”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We took the tour at Seaveys on a misty morning with abount seven others. After a brief talk about the Iditarod, we were taken to an area where there were dozens of dogs chained to plastic barrels - a somewhat unnerving sight. the dogs got quite agitated as they knew they would be running soon.

We took the dog sled ride through the forest and then went to see the puppies and a brief film about the race.

The tour was a little expensive ($69) and a little lacking in details/background on the race as our guide had no first hand knowledge.

Anchorage, Alaska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“August 3rd tour”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Thank you so much! My family and I had a BLAST on you tour! It was amazing!!!
If I may make one suggestion, I notice while hiking up to the glacier some of the older folks that wanted to go had some trouble. Is there a way you could purchase or making walking sticks to help them.

Thank you again! The staff and tour guides were AWESOME as well!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Christine L
Zachary, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Everything's going to the Dogs!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great time visiting Seavey kennels and going dog sledding in the middle of July! The teamwork between dogs and dogs and musher and the LOVE the dogs have for pulling that sled is unbelievable. My husband and I and two adult sons thoroughly enjoyed this, and considering we won't be doing any dog sledding any Louisiana any time soon, it was a real highlight. Recommend for any dog-loving folk!

1 Thank southernbellasam
Rocklin, California, United States
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My group and I booked the 1.5 tour. We arrived early and checked in and waited for the other groups to arrive. The tour started with an introduction of the Seavey family and how they go into the race. The intro was somewhat informational and somewhat of a bragging session; but rightly so. I would have liked to hear more about the race and how the dogs are picked, trained and how the decisions are made on where to place the dogs on the line.

As we waited for the walk towards the dogs, I suspect the dogs sensed we were coming since an increasing sound of dog howling erupted; it was a little unnerving but didnt last long.

We walked a short distance to where the dogs are kept; lots of dogs, more than I expected. I was very overwhelmed by the smell, mix of dog and dog pee. Not pleasant. They should look into spraying down the houses weekly. We were given another short talk and afterwards my group went to see the puppies and a short demo/film of the race. The puppies were the highlight. After we played with the puppies we did our ride on the wagon. After the ride, we were basically done.

I found the Denali National Park sled dog demo to be more informative, however, if this is the only area you will be in for this type of tour then definitely stop by.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank tnlctygirl
Commodore, Pa.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Enjoyable Experience”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I went on this tour as an alternative to ones scheduled through the cruise lines. Boy, we sure are glad we did, it was a great value. This tour was very in-depth, and informative and best of all- it was a lot of fun. All the people there ( and even the dogs) were eager to please and they did. When you go into the area where the dogs are kept, it's easy to see that the dogs are well kept and cared for and they respond lovingly to their trainers. All they want to do is RUN.
It's also easy to see why Seavey's is voted "Best Sled Dog Ride in Alaska"
I would highly recommend this tour.

1 Thank Joel B