“A+ all the way!!”

Kona Adventure Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Exclusive, private adventures customized to ensure the best experience possible
Reviewed July 16, 2016

As a travel consultant for over 20 years, I"m constantly looking for the best values for my clients. I'm all about Customer Service and going beyond what is expected. With that said because I give it, I expect it. I found it with Jon Knight at Kona Adventure Tours!! When I spoke to him on the phone to talk about the tour, I felt very comfortable and found Jon to be very personable and very professional. He sent emails and confirmations before we left to keep me informed. He picked us up on time at our condo and asked us what we wanted out of this trip--what was the most important part of the trip we wanted to see. Everything was taken care of! He provided raincoats if needed (thankfully we didn't), binoculars, bottled water, lunch, snacks and a great meal at a wonderful B & B not too far from Hilo. We stopped at waterfalls, lava tubes, steam vents, the Jaggar Museum at the Kilauea Caldera and then to the area where we could see the lava flow for night time viewing. Along the way he explained where all the different lava flows were, when they happened and what type of lava it was (I had no clue it was different!!). He pointed out different birds, plants,(ask him about "monkey leg"!!!) and the constellations. We had a wonderful day and will certainly go in my book as a day I'll never forget. I highly recommend booking with Jon for an amazing custom experience you'll always remember!!

All reviews
"great tour"
in 13 reviews
"tour booked"

Reviewed July 15, 2016

We booked the evening volcano adventure. Jon picked us up promptly at the condo we were staying at and immediately made us feel welcomed. From the moment he began driving, our tour began. I was expecting just a general discussion on Volcano's, and lava, but we also got immersed in the biodiversity of the areas we drove. From animals to plants he covered it all. This was to be a 12 hour trip with a picnic lunch and dinner later in the day. The lunch of sandwiches, chips, cookies and beverage was excellent. Bottled water in his vehicle as well as other snacks. The place he took us for dinner was also excellent. I had a strip steak that was perfect. We saw the new lava flow at night as well as the active caldera in Volcano's National Park. The gods were with us weather wise and Pele put on a great show for us. I can't say enough about Jon. He'd drop us off close to the things we were to see, and then park his vehicle way down the road. He'd then fetch his vehicle and come get us. Most would have you walk the whole thing. He made it easy for us. Jon's knowledge of the area, and his experience in so many things makes this guy and his company a must use for anybody touring the big island. He will customize a tour to fit your desires and he is a pleasure to spend the day with 12+ hours.

Reviewed July 13, 2016

Jon was highly recommended to us by my friend and coworker, who had been on his Volcano tour a month before we took it. It was a delightful way to spend the whole day on the Big Island. Jon shared his extensive knowledge about the island and made several photo op stops for us so we could enjoy the sights. He made sure we were always comfortable, answered our many questions, and was just great company for the day-long trip. The Kaumana Caves were great (just watch for the sharp rocks!) and the Rainbow Falls were beautiful. Dinner at the Kilauea Lodge was delicious, in a relaxing setting. The Kilauea Volcano was great to see during the day, but returning at night to see the glow of the lava and the spatter was awesome! How often do you get to see an active volcano? We highly recommend Jon's tour!!!

Date of experience: June 2016
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed July 8, 2016

We travel often with fam and friends. No matter where we go, our preferred method to sightsee is on private/custom tours. We contacted Jon the day prior and booked a 13 hour tour to include each of our diverse interests. Joh was superduper fantastic! Knowledgeable. Fun. Flexible. Thoughtful. Prepared. Thorough. Jon didn't miss a detail. Yep, there are other tour companies on the island - and probably even a few good ones. But, Jon provides a memorable experience with a new local friend vs an impersonal tourist transaction. Concierge level service not to be missed! Don't trust your vacation memories to just anyone!

Date of experience: July 2016
Jon K, Owner at Kona Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2016

Mahalo nui Loa Britta for taking the time to post your thoughts. I had a great time meeting you all. Stay in touch.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2016

Jon made our trip with this tour. Our son who usually has a small attention span stayed engaged and was interested in what our guide had to say. Jon made us feel very special, from the individualized meal plans to changes in itinerary. If you are looking for a magical and scenic trip around the island to discover the beauty and majesty, this tour is the one to pick. Thank you Jon for the fabulous tour

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Jon K, Owner at Kona Adventure Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2016

Thank you so much for the review. It was a treat getting to meet you all. I hope the rest of your vacation was fun and your your trip home was quick and easy. Hurry back again.