“Old but nice - tips for the ownership pitch”

Wyndham Mauna Loa Village
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Kailua-Kona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This is a timeshare property even though you can book it many ways.

When you arrive you will be told there is a resort orientation at 8am the next morning and you need to be there to get your parking pass but stay to listen about the resort and have some fruit and pasteries. GROAN. We went expecting the sales pitch - but that's not it. They tell you about 20 tours on the island and talk about how you must drive the limit and wear seat belts because the cops will get you. They give you the prices of the tours and then tell you with an alohoa card you'll save tons and give you the aloha card price.

If you plan to do a lot of tours and don't mind using the vendors they select then it's worth it to get an aloha card. We were already planning to do the paradise helicopter tour with doors off over the lava field in hilo and it saved use almost $100 for the two of us. If you're wanting to do 3-4 or more tours then get the card and go through the pitch (they will likely throw in a visa gift card too but I didn't hear this offered to all people... i've heard up to $150 but they offered us $50 and then $100 in addition the to aloha. If you plan to bum around and not do tours .... SKIP the orientation, pick up your pass later, stick to a firm "nah the card isn't worth a few bucks on some of my meals and shopping (not of the discounts for dining and shopped worked out to be worth it for us) and skip the pitch. I'm not 100% certain the parking pass means anything as we often forgot to flip it up because we took it down when we had the converable top down. You might be able to skip the whole experience (but don't hold me responsible if that doesn't work that way).

I almost feel staying at the wyndham was worth it for the aloha card on our tours. Unfortunately I had booked most of them from home before getting the card so I didn't get the full benefit and it still helped a bunch.

About the room - it was older but in good condition. Bed was nice, kitche was nice with great ammenities... very spacious... I liked the 8 pools and we tried out different one around the propery even though they are the same. The grounds were well maintained and very pretty. The path system is messed up as we had to go up and down the same hill to get from the car to the room each day and I don't understand that design.

Overall i would stay here again... and would only bother with the morning orientation if I wanted an aloha card to save on tours.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Pelepassion

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I have owned at mauna loa for 20 years and still love the small village feel of the resort. Not a huge resort where you can easily get lost. Staff friendly and helpful and just the right amount of amenities. Close to everything by car. Units clean and comfortable. Good for couples or families.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank rcwinter1
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Only stayed for 5 night but really loved the Village.Staff were very friendly & helpful. The unit was really nice, clean & spacious & comfortable. Liked the individual pool areas instead of one big pool. Enjoyed the wildlife too. Would recommend it for anyone who wanted to visit Kona

Room Tip: we had unit 68 and I could not fault it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Debra M
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We spent 2 weeks here in Feb and loved the resort. The rooms are very large with unique
architecture. It is directly on the golf course. We would walk up the fairway to the ocean . just before sunset. (only a 5 minute walk) every night. The sunset with the waves splashing against the rocks, a cocktail in hand and each other was unforgettable.
The staff was fantastic ever accommodating and extremely pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BILLANDRENE
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stayed here via a timeshare exchange through RCI. thanks to trip advisor I knew that the units were not decorated in a current manner, not on the beach etc. As I knew what to expect I really enjoyed the unit we had (unit 71).

Our unit had a golf course view and was 2bdrm and 2.5 bath - the bedrooms and two full baths are downstairs. The living /dining/patio/kitchen are upstairs as is the half bath which is very convenient. There is a sofa bed in living area we didnt use as a bed. There are small patios off each bedroom and they each have a sliding glass door so you can go out to the lovely grounds from either room. Wish there was a chair or two on this level - maybe a theft issue?

NOTE this property is split in half - the other half is the Holua resort by Shell hospitality. Apparently from my research these units are a different configuration (believe one story, our unit was a townhouse/two story style) and also obviously have been remodelled and I could tell have much nicer patio furniture (ours was the plastic type usuable but not fancy)

The best parts were the large space - kids could go downstairs or we could and not disturb each other. I thought the kitchen was fine - I know some state is small but compared to a hotel room not so bad! Kitchen had everything I needed and then some. We also loved the birds on the patio (okay so we threw a few bread crumbs) - we must have seen 10 or more varieties. Also on the first floor there were mongoose running in the bushes each day.

My kids especially my 11 year old son loved the pools. they were not crowded and a good temperature. If one pool is not too your liking (people, location, etc) just go to one of the other 8 I believe on property.

You can walk to the sheraton and see the Manta's that come up to the surface at night to feed (we also did a manta ray snorkel - which was great).

you are in south Kona known as the Keauhou bay area named for the bay the sheraton is on. you are very close (10 minutes?) from a great snorkelling beach kahaluu which we went to several times. Close, great for kids, has lifeguard, snacks, etc. you are close enough to civilization yet removed enough to feel like you are in a tropical paradise (even though the sheraton loomed in the distance from our room).

We had a golf course view, also a sheraton view as well as a very small ocean view between other units and sheraton. Also we had free wifi - when making reservation ask if the unit has this. Some DO NOT

Also there are NO onsite activities. In one post I saw that you could use other wyndham properties - that is NOT true. I believe this is managed and not owned by wyndham? not sure.

The staff was all very nice. Jocelyn (?) who checked us in was warm and welcoming - they even had called to say our room was ready early while we were enroute.

I would stay here again. I prefer Waikoloa overall but for an exchange, this was really a great deal.

Room Tip: we were in unit 71 and had a good view of golf course and small view of ocean. Ask about config of u...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank SanDiegoMom08
Reviewed March 30, 2012

stayed for 3 glorious weeks in April 2012. family of 4 (2 kids 7 and 5).
after loading up on groceries, was an awesome place.
away from the hustle of kona town. ok sure it is a distance away, but you are in hawaii, enjoy.
the pools/hot tubs were small, but almost never had anyone there with us, while we were using them.
parking compound is a healthy walk away, but our unit was right across the entrace from the main office/gate.
would go back ina second.

Room Tip: ask for one along the golf course
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Aaron_kristen
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Spent a week here on a get away. The staff was super friendly and very helpful whenever I needed anything. The place was super quiet. Our room was clean and had everything we needed for a pleasant stay. I enjoyed it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kwego4it
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kailua-Kona
Courtyard by Marriott King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel
Royal Kona Resort
Royal Kona Resort
#9 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Wyndham Mauna Loa Village? Share your experiences!