“Close to beautiful snorkel sites” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kona White Sands Condos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kailua-Kona
Kona White Sands Condos
Atco, NJ
“Close to beautiful snorkel sites”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

The condos are relatively close to the main part of town which is convenient. Across the street is a nice beach and a little down the road is a wonderful beach where we viewed a lot of amazing sea life. It was really wonderful. We swam among large sea turtles and many varieties of fish. We stayed in a 2br/2bth condo which was a nice size and nicely decorated. The view we had was of a mountain side. The restaurant across the street was recommended by owners but although the ambience was lovely the food was average and the price was very high. The pool was adequate and had a small hot tub. The only down side I found was that the residences were decidedly grumpy. When I brought my two children ages 13 & 11 down to the pool the people as a group met us at the gate to inform us that masks were not allowed and after reading the rule board we discovered that even Marco Polo was not allowed. They had also managed to call management before we entered because they saw us coming w/ masks in our hands. After I assured the manager that we wouldn't use our googles she left and they ( a group of 7) proceeded to stare at us, until it was so uncomfortable that the kids were actually scared and asked me take them back to our unit. I'm a mother who insists that my children present good manners, so I don't understand why they went out of their way to let us know we weren't welcome there. I noticed others here have reported the same thing so at least I now know it wasn't just us. If your thick skinned this condo is in a lovely spot to enjoy the Big Island.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The unfriendly full-timers
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank NJWorldTravelFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

We stayed this past summer in unit 302 which was very close to the road. It had a wonderfully large lanai for eating outside. The view was great. You could watch the outrigger canoes practice every morning. The unit is fairly large and has two bedrooms. We traveled with our two kids so were able to spread out a bit. There was also a reserved covered parking space below each apartment which made it very convenient for loading and unloading. The pool was great. We used the bbq area on many nights. Our kids loved using the pool table that is available for guests while we cooked supper.

The only problem would be that the road noise was a bit higher and the noise from the beach park was a bit much on the weekend evenings especially.

The location is quite convenient to a number of sites. We would recommend kayaking to Capt. Cook's monument (great snorkling). You can rent a kayak for Kona Boys along the way. If you want good snorkling without the kayaking try two step which is next to the place of refuge. I would suggest going early as the place feels up quickly and then it becomes a bit difficult to find a parking place.

For an evening treat go to the Sheraton in Keauhou to see the manta rays feed.

• Liked — Great condo and view
  • Disliked — Too much noise from the beach park parties
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank Kathy60
Dover, DE
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

Just returned from a 10 day stay at Kona White Sands Condo where we rented two units. It was lovely! A beautiful pool, barbeque area, and right across the street from a gorgeous beach. Could have stayed there forever. My problem with the place seems minor, but I found it very annoying! You get a condo key and pool key which must be shared among up to six in one condo. When you get the keys, you are warned at the desk that there is a $50 fee for losing a key. I thought that was excessive, but at least they tell you up front. We are truly responsible people, but with college students and older people all sharing the keys, we did loose a pool key. When we got home, I found out that we had been charged $100 from the security deposit for the lost key. When I wrote back to them, I received no response. I find this to be gouging the tourist! You can buy 50 keys at Lowe's for $100. Oh well, live and learn! Don't loose your key if you stay here!!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Jimntat
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

Rented White Sands Village #307 (2br/2ba)via owner through a popular owner-rental web site. Liked the location and, even better, the price-- less than $100 night for a week (pre-tax and w/o deposit; no high-season premium). Most of the unit and complex have been updated and/or are maintained well; things were clean. Good communication with owner. A cooler, beach equipment, two 4-person tables on the lanai are there, along with washer and drier in master bath. The elevator opens just outside the unit's door. Sunsets are best experienced from the pool lawn or on the outside railing nearer units 305 & 306. During our weeklong March 2007 visit there was a reasonably friendly, tolerant mix of seniors, couples, and families-- the place was by no means full. It is definitely not for partiers. One unexpected wildlife sighting was feral pigs living the the adjoining vacant lot. It's close to a shopping center and a few miles down Alii from downtown Kona. It's right across from Magic Sands beach and in a great local for walking, running or biking along the same route as the marathon portion of the Ironman and the Kona Marathon.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank Karras
San Ramon, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2007

I booked my condo (#234) through an owner-listed site. It was a great unit! Out of the three units my family had, it was the best floor plan. The unit has a large family room, two good-sized bedrooms, two decent-sized bathrooms, a fully-equiped kitchen, and a big dining room (the other units didn't have dining rooms). It was nicely decorated and very clean. We had all the comforts of home. All the beach toys you could need were in a storage bin on the big relaxing lanai. Plus, If you leave the windows open, the wild birds will wake you up in the morning! (Much nicer than an alarm clock) I would rent this unit again.

On to the complex itself. The complex is great. The elderly residents are not. The pool and barbeque area were clean and in good condition. The pool was always a nice temperature, never too cold and never too warm. The tennis courts looked nice, but I didn't use them. The complex also has a billiards room that looked fun. The complex is located directly across from Magic Sands Beach. The location is a bit of a walk to "downtown" Kona. I would definitely recommend renting a car, as the airport is a good 20-30 minutes away. Plus, you can venture out with a car.

Now, on to the elderly residents. I would not recommend bringing any small children to this complex, if you plan on using the pool. The grumpy old people will not let them have any fun, make noise, or use floaties. We watched one grumpy old man tell the parents of a two-year old that he wasn't allowed in the pool because of he wasn't potty-trained. The boy had a swim diaper on. One of the grumpy old ladies actually high-fived the old man on kicking the kid out, as the little boy cried. That same grumpy old lady told me that my kick-board wasn't allowed. If you don't plan on using the pool for fun, that would be a great complex. If you are bringing kids, don't stay here.

Stayed March 2007
5 Thank Saruhhh
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed at White Sands Village #318 for the last week of June and first week of July. Other family members stayed in #105 and #228. We rented all three units directly from the individual owners through a well-known vacation rental website. These 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom units average just over $100 per night, which is a great value!! All 3 units were clean, in good repair, and had well-stocked kitchens and linens. All had a/c and were bug-free. The washers and dryers were a great convenience. Each unit has dedicated parking for 2 cars.

#318 and #105 are in the two front buildings, looking down on the pool area and out onto the ocean. #228 was in the third building (in the rear) and looked out onto the tennis courts. The elevator stops right in front of #318. #228 is a short walk from the elevator and requires a few steps -- not a big deal except that two people staying there were on crutches (long story!), so this is a question you might want to ask about your unit if such things will make a difference to you. #318 had the most modern ("non tropical") decor. We liked that, although it didn't have the supply of beach towels and boogie boards found in the other two units. All of the units were comortable and homey -- it's just a matter of taste. #318 has a double bed in the second bedroom; the other two units had twins.

The pool/BBQ area is well-kept and has lovely tropical foilage and a view of the ocean. The jacuzzi was nice for an evening soak! Our group cooked out there 3-4 times and it was very nice, with plenty of room. Several members of our group also enjoyed the tennis courts. There is an outdoor pool table as well.

Most condos in Kona, even oceanfront ones, do not have access to a swimming beach (the coastline is largely lava rocks, not beach). So it's nice to have the option of going across the street from White Sands Village to the beach for a quick swim or to sunbathe in the sand. No one is going to mistake White Sands Beach for one of the beautiful Kohala beaches, but those are almost an hour north of Kona, so it's a tradeoff. White Sands is just north of the Captain Cook area, where the best snorkeling is to be found (as well as the coffee farms). And it's just 4 miles up Ali'i Drive to the heart of Kona town.

Since we spent most of our days out exploring the island, staying at a resort hotel would have been a waste of money. White Sands Village was an excellent value and for us was just about perfect!

• Stayed July 2006
12 Thank frangipani7
michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2006

We just returned from our 2nd trip to the islands, and I must tell you that when I booked this condo I was a little worried. Well let me tell you from the first step in I was not let down, It is a small but very well kept unit, it has a wonderful lani overlooking the Magic Sand Beach.

You are treated to your very own sunset every night. It is about 3.5 miles from the downtown area of Kona. Parking is in the rear of the building and each unit has there own spot. The unit has everything you need when you check in and when you get ready to leave you need to replace the paper products that you have used. Other then that if you can stand the sound of the ocean putting you to sleep every night (and what a great sound that is) this is the perfect place for you. You need to know that the beach is a favorite hang out of the locals, it is one of the best boogie board spots in kona.

If it is snorkling you are into then just oabout 1 mile south of the condo is a great place. They call it snorkle beach and it is loaded with all kinds of fish eels (sometimes) and it is a favorite feeding area for the Green Seaturtles. Well I hope this helps you in making your trip one to remember.

Take care.