We stayed during the week of August 20, 2006. The condo was very nice. We had an oceanview room which made you feel like you could reach out and touch the ocean. We met some very nice tourists and permenant residents. One couple tipped us off to putting tunafish in the tidepools to feed the eels. This was such a treat for my kids that we did it every morning. The condo was clean, freshly painted with new carpet. The unit could use a little updating, seemed stuck in the 1980's world of 1980's bambo and rattan furniture, but it was nice and clean and very livable. The location was good, not too close to the center of town, but not too far away either. Spent most days at the beach next to the Outrigger, Keauhou and enjoyed swimming with the turtles and tropical fish. As southern Californians, we were a little taken aback by the rocky sands and shoreline, but grew to love and appreciate their unique beauty. We also spent time at the Hapuna Beach up north, which was much more like Southern California beaches.
We can hardly wait to go back to the Big Island. It's much more like old Hawaiiana than Oahu, which is very commercialized. We were pleased not see any high-risers or malls on every corner. I would stay at the Kona Reef again in a heartbeat, but probably request a more updated unit.
P.S. also enjoyed a great Luau at the Royal Kona Resort and a great sunset meal at Don the Beachcomber, also at RKR.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kona Reef is an oceanfront condominium resort adjacent to a sandy beach park in historic Kailua-Kona and near quaint shops and restaurants. One- and two-bedroom suites offer full-kitchens, FREE WiFi, and ocean or garden views. Amenities include an oceanfront swimming pool, jet spa, and a cabana with barbecue area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Vacatia, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Kona Reef Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Kona Reef Hotel Kailua-Kona
- Castle Kona Reef Kailua
- Kona Reef Resort Hawaii/Kailua-Kona